Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I've got a couple things here.

I'll start with That Guy (female edition). One of my very first players was a girl who the rest of us knew in some way or another. Now, she didn't smell like Satan's stepdaughter or anything, and she was fairly fit; nearly anorexic, really. Her problems were pretty drat unique. Firstly, she had severe obsessive-compulsive disorder. She was very, very easy to set off on any matters concerning hygiene. She also had the disturbing habit of plucking hairs from her head and eating them. I... never did summon up the courage to ask why. She had bald patches all over her head and the remnants were shorn short. She looked like some sort of radiation victim.
Secondly, I'm pretty sure she was a sociopath, at least highly misanthropic. She was in it to kill things; both in and out of character. Things she was on the record as hating included the school we were at, her professors, the rest of the group, her family, and me.
Thirdly, she was highly paranoid. Don't have much more to say on that count.
She eventually left the campaign for a Death Watch game. Not really surprising, I guess.

Second is a good story. During my first campaign, there was a period where the party split up to investigate a criminal organization. When the party discovered the gang's headquarters, one of them left before the others to scout out the place alone.
When the rest of the party arrived, Scout was still doing his stealthy thing. Paranoid Chick does a check for sentries. I tell her the place seems deserted, but she notices somebody skulking in the shadows. She prepares to shoot him, stacking on as many modifiers as possible. I think she made a boast about "one-shotting the bastard." She rolls, the dice come up pretty. "So do I get him?"
"I don't know," I deliberately drawled out. I looked over at Scout on the other side of the table. "What was your dodge again?" Never seen a table go quiet so fast before or since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember having a blast reading that godgame. Great fun to watch.

Sounds like something in my PDF library, Dawn of Worlds or something.
Link? Please?

Also, now I want to run a PbP of it...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaDog posted:

A metal plate with a handle and with 20 lightsabers welded so they're sticking out of the front.

This, but arranged in a circle and attached to a rotary device. Place against wall, activate, and voiila! Instant doorway!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd think it'd be trillions, wouldn't it? I'm just going off of a general estimate based of an assumed Earth-like size and the current population density of Earth, so I could be totally wrong :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, they have proto-personalities. Horribly selfish and solipsistic ones, but still...

Man, I want to post a story about what I did to my Monsters group but the game isn't over yet and one of them might be lurking on here...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This talk of pacifist characters reminds me of a healbot oracle I made for a campaign in Pathfinder once. Her abilities were entirely oriented towards healing and area-of-effect spells that I reskinned as her losing the fragile control she had over a curse that made her a walking disaster area. Basically whatever being had meddled in her life probably had a terrible sense of humor. Sadly the campaign died young. And then I fell out of love with Pathfinder. Guess I'll never get to flesh out that archetype :shobon:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Needs lizardmen lawyers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Temascos posted:

Had a fun game with my Skype group, we Fudged up some rules and played "superheroes", the following transcript was written by our DM which is fairly comprehensive.

There are far too many words and far too little grammar in that transcript there. Mind translating?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Verr posted:

Both are better than most of the players mentioned in the Cat-Piss chronicles.

Our hobby A great deal of the player pool in this hobby sucks. :smith:

This is, despite all appearances, a fixable situation. Don't play with massive creeps, ordinary creeps, assholes, or otherwise terrible people.

though to be honest i've had my share of terrible players in the past so i've got no high ground to speak of

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apocalypse World in space sounds loving amazing. I'd play in a game of it in a heartbeat.

i'd play a regular game of it in a heartbeat too, though. i just wanna play AW before i die :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously out-of-character? Personally I have no problem with people playing it seriously in-character, at least as long as the drama doesn't flip over to the real world v:v:v

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to be a long story.

So, I'm in a game of Vampire. Requiem for Rome, to be exact. We've had a party of five players for the longest time, finally losing one a few months ago. The game really slowed down after that for a while, but tonight is probably the beginning of a reversing trend.

So, a bit of background first. Requiem for Rome is a game about vampires in ancient Rome. We have a coterie of five again now. First there is Tiberius, the politician and supposed leader of the group. Second we have Tycho, a rather charismatic soldier-type who is starting to feel rather disaffected (both in and out of character :(). Then there is Magilus, the betrayed assassin who's been plotting revenge on what is basically the entirety of vampire society, the Camarilla. He's also slowly going insane. The new player is playing an older politician who's recently fallen on hard times. Ovidia is an old hand at playing the puppetstrings.

And finally, there is my character. Tertius, the hulking former gladiator turned monstrous-looking freak of the party. He's the size of a refrigerator, creaks like an old chair when he moves, and coughs up black blood and worse when he talks, due to an old injury in life that persists in his death. Despite his size, he's actually an aspiring scholar, and the usual choice when the party needs a burglary done (he can effectively turn invisible). Jack of all trades, really. He's also the consummate opportunist. His modus operandi is simple. Watch. Listen. Learn. Survive.

Tertius has been making dealings on the side for a long time in-game. OOC everybody knows what's going on, of course. IC nobody really has any clue that he's anything other than a particularly useful tool with a couple idiosyncracies. But things probably aren't going to stay that way now.

See, Tertius has been doing some investigation on some recent happenings at the Senex (the vampire senate). Crazy poo poo, sudden madness and rioting (caused by Magilus, actually, but it's a long story). Tertius decided that he had to know what was going on. A few called-in favors later, he got an audience with an old jewish rabbi who is definitely a mage of no little power. Some shenanigans later, he got a cryptic message from the magus.

It was instructions to go to a particular place the very next night, with a weapon and a poo poo-load of caution. Tertius follows these instructions and finds himself at an old, run-down villa. It looks abandoned from the outside.

When he sneaks over the wall under the cloak of the power that he possesses and comes inside, he's faced with a scene of madness.

You see, the greatest threat to the Camarilla is something collectively known as the Striges. They are yellow-eyed owl spirits that possess the bodies of the dead (and undead, if they can catch them in torpor). They hate vampires, but most specifically they hate vampires of a certain clan called the Julii. The Julii, consummately Roman, happen to be the reigning force of the Cam throughout the empire. Legend is that the Julii are somehow the offspring of the Striges, and betrayed them in some way leading to the Striges bearing an undying vendetta for their heirs.

The villa's atrium is filled with dead bodies. Some lie inanimate, but the vast yellow-eyed majority are venerating an altar, upon which a priestess-figure with glowing violet (yeah I have no idea what is going on there) is performing some sort of rite with a human heart. This is where poo poo gets hosed up.

See, the ST expects me at this point to try to interrupt the ceremony or leave to tell the Camarilla that there is a festering infestation of Striges within the city or something.

Instead, Tertius finds a good dramatic place to stand on a rooftop (which just so happens to be a great escape route due to me having hilarious dice pool for rooftop shenanigans). Then Tertius muses to himself on how faced with a threat like this, the Camarilla must eventually fall, no matter how many infestations of Striges they manage to root out. Then he uncloaks himself, and with a loud harsh cry that causes his throat to burn with every word, shouts out "I come in peace. What is the price of the Julii?"

The rest of the players had been following a different plot thread during this time. The OOC channel went dead in shocked silence.

What follows after is a quick exchange between him and the priestess-thing. She shows some rather disconcerting knowledge of who he is and who his companions are. He offers work with them to bring about the extinction of the Julii with the condition that he be allowed to live in peace thereafter. She offers him a quick and mostly painless descent into torpor, so they can skinjack him. He refuses, tells her that with her knowledge she'll know where to find him if she agrees to his terms, and attempts to exit stage left.

She uses some mind mojo to try to stop him in his tracks. It almost works, almost. Hilariously enough, resistance to that sort of thing is one of his many strengths (he doesn't hardly sound like a real character, when I think about it). With only a minor hiccup, he makes his escape across the rooftops of the city, throwing up a new cloak of darkness as he does so. That's where the session ended.

tl;dr I made a character who is the consummate shadowy opportunist and managed to pull off the most shocking development in the history of this two-year game singlehandedly.

I can't loving wait to see how this turns out. Whether it ends well or horribly, I just ratcheted up the energy of the game to a whole new level. poo poo's gotten interesting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are those references to the Odyssey?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fatal & Friends has a pretty extensive write-up of it if you check their wiki.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

The Chancellor of the Robot King of Rats being granted a soul by the Rat Pope.

:smugbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus. I need to set up a game of Fiasco one of these days...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was a pretty :stare: story, but what was "Then... Something all Good Friend was run after that." supposed to be?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's just loving surreal :stonk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My god. I remember playing this game in my old college gaming club. We never had anything this hilarious happen though :saddowns:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know, any big city would have a designated "Adventurer's Tavern" that was built like a loving fortress. Actually no. It would just be a small fortress. With an army of bouncers and a squad of countermages and holy poo poo this sounds awesome.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yawgmoth posted:

I have never heard a story about wargames of any stripe that didn't end with "and then he threw a tantrum and stormed off", usually with a table flip and/or merchandise damage added in.

That's because wargaming doesn't really make for very good stories otherwise :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

I have this problem too with my Dark Heresy group, who, left to their own devices to come up with Rogue Trader characters presented me with the challenge of making a campaign for 5 near identical Arch Militants and a Senechal who only picked that class because of the Inferno Pistol and proceeded to act like he was an Arch Militant too. Any challenges I throw their way have to involve their starting skills because their spending pattern is Ballistic Skill -> Sound Constitution -> Rapid Reload/Quick Draw/etc.

Easy solution: one class per player.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, all of my gamers who happen to be female (to the best of my knowledge) have turned out to be bad, (but not nearly as many of my male gamers :v:)

Seriously though, one of them was completely insane and the other one, though a good friend, refuses to read rulebooks why won't you read rulebooks :(

Neither of them were as bad as the guy who wanted to play a midget with skimpy clothes and a buster blade who pissed on the airship's engine and then jumped off the ship as well as out of his first session halfway through. Seriously :wtc:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what a half-serious mental/personality diagnostic of the average adventurer actually would look like. probably hilariously hosed up

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hopefully you can trick some adventurers into doing it for you

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bureaucracies and Bean-Counters hell yeah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your gf has the right idea

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would you play a game with even more wizards :confused:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a better gm would have just used fiat :colbert:

no orcs shall live :unsmigghh:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbf, this guy sounds stupid and malicious

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaDog posted:

and a weird old man who smells like pee and doesn't know where he is ("He's trying to pretend like he's an insane vagrant! This guy's gotta be important!")

this is your cue to retcon that old man into being somebody important in hiding, really

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds like Kingdom of Nothing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7000 divided by 100 is 70

that's 70 loving int rolls you'd need to make

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

I was going to have them turn into an antagonist group later, ... [but] now I've got a pair of PCs with 8 bikers tooling around with them who happen to violently hate one of the other PCs. Should be fun when they all converge on the same location next session.

i fail to see how these are mutually exclusive :unsmigghh:

really though, apocalypse world's big on inter-PC conflict. things come with strings attached, so you can and probably should make the bikers useful enough to the operator and hocus that they find themselves sucked into a feud with the juggernaught :getin: