Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was a one shot WFRP (1st edition) that we played about 10 years ago. The general premise for the story was that the players were children/teenagers from a small village in the north of the Wastelands, when a warpstone (distilled corrupting magic) meteor crashes behind the next hill. Over night, all the kids start channeling magic of various schools. (For reasons that were never made clear the GM decided to use D&D 3.0 magic schools, instead of the built in colours for the setting.)

It became clear that we were going to flee our homes into the Drakwald forest as the townsfolk we had known our whole lives turned on us, seeing as how we were witches and all. (NB: For those not familiar with the setting, magic outside of the bounds of the Wizard Schools is not particularly permitted. There are state sponsored witch hunters that roam the Empire, putting witches and mutants to the torch. Consquently, being able to suddenly change forms or start a fire with a snap of the fingers is the first step on your way to being chased out of town by a pitchfork wielding mob.)

The next three hours was filled in with the four players making a head long dash into the beastman and goblin infested forest. Three of these players managed to roleplay being teenagers that have be suddenly outcast from the only place they ever knew by their loved ones, cursed with devil powers they cannot control. The fourth player chose to explore what his transmutation powers allowed him to do. He was a bit more methodical about it than I would have expected a medieval uneducated peasant mud farmer's son to be about it, but that's fine. Everyone was entertained when he polymorphed himself into something that looked like a beastman in order to stay warm. These would be those cannabalistic beastmen that lived in the forest that you used to piss your bed with in terror of.

Anyways three hours of him trying to derail the adventure and generally make a mockery of the setting and tone this story is a candidate for worst (well, most annoying anyways) gaming experience ever. Except...

During a confrontation with a whole band of beastmen it was looking very grim, my character paniced and in doing so used his evocation powers to start a very large forest fire, and burnt up all the beastmen. The PC that was off on his own seeing what silly shapes he could turn himself into, noticed the approaching fire. He cleverly turns the the GM:

:smug: "I turn myself into an obelisk."

:confused: "Ok, you turn yourself into a obelisk"

After the fire dies out, we all gather up and take stock of who survived the attack. We eventually find this tall, blackened obelisk that didn't used to be there.

:smug: "Ok, I turn myself back into a 12 year old."

:smugissar: "How? You are an obelisk."

This statement started to sink in for :smug: when I turned to the GM:

:ohdear: "Do I feel safe and protected by this obelisk?"

:cool: "Actually, you do. It's sudden appearance here is undoubtable a sign from something indicating that you have reached your destination."

:ohdear: "Well then, I believe we will set up camp here. I think the campaign just ended."

And lo, another proto-chaos cult had been formed in the deep woods.

The PC that had turned himself into our object of worship was still sputtering by the time the rest of the players and the GM had decided that ending was metal as gently caress, and probably couldn't have been more setting appropriate if it had been planned from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

some loving LIAR posted:

As entertaining as the next seven or eight 4e pun posts will doubtless be, Pathfinder also has Perception checks.

Well, no TRUE Scotsmangrognard would use a Perception check.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The worst Traveller campaign

Around 2002 or so, one of the guys in my home game (:smug: from this post) had picked up a box of old Traveller stuff on Ebay and wanted to run a game of it.

Important things to note for this story:

The extent of most of everyone, other than the GMs, knowledge of Traveller is; 1) space and 2) you can die in character generation.

First Session:

We start with character generation, suffering a few untimely reactor incidents along the way. At the end of it, I had a retired Marine Corp Master Sergeant who had discharged after a few combat tours to a nice pension. The other main character in this story was ended up with a doctor. There were two other players, but for reasons that will become apparent I have no idea what they were.

The game starts and the players are part of a crew of a cargo hauler, hauling cargo across ~space~ to somewhere. My character was the first mate (maybe I was captain :iiam:), while the doctor was the ship doctor (obviously) and the other two players were doing ~stuff~. Hint of a plot hook consisted of a young couple in cryo, that are being transported to our destination.

:smug: *sets the above scene* What do you do?

Well that's odd since he knows that we know nothing about the setting, and our character motivations were literally randomly rolled 5 minutes ago. "I continue to be the First Mate of this ship." Then start doing first matey things, like inspections and drills or whatever. The good doctor :zoid:, starts to ask questions about the couple in cyro since they are the only thing that even hints at a plot. The GM lets us prattle on for the rest of the session, while remaining largely silent other to answer direct queries about the environment and couple. While this is getting a bit boring near the end, an opening session of getting into characer isn't that bad. The other two players are similarly quiet and the doctor continues to unravel the mystery of the frozen people. (Is this unusual to travel via cryo, who knows?)

Second Session:

:smug: *briefly recounts the last session* What do you do?

Thirty minutes of roleplaying the first mate of a cargo hauler later, I get up and go for a smoke (this being before iPhone games existed.) After I come back in, I ask what trouble they have gotten into. Well, it appears that

:zoid: I am performing experiments on the cryo couple.
:confused: huh? What are you talking about? Do you mean like DNA sampling to confirm their identify or something?

Remember, at this point there is nothing suspicious about these two people other than the GM mentioning them as part of the cargo. There is no in character reason to even care they are on board (and the OOC reason is pretty dumb too.)

:zoid: No, I am using them as subjects in a narcotics addiction test.
:wth: huh?!? What the gently caress! Why are you doing that?!?
:zoid: I want to see the effect of cryogenically induced narcotic dependence.
:aaa: Well, I guess I don't know that in character. I continue being first mate.

I then go back outside for a smoke, and chat with my neighbour for a bit because gently caress THAT poo poo. I appreciate this is a douchey thing to do, but I wasn't seriously going to sit a table with someone roleplaying like a 13 year old. After a bit I come back in to find that things had managed to progress further into deeply disturbed territory, and cargo bay 5 was now a psychopaths sadistic playpen. Suddenly I receive a hail from an approaching Federation police cruiser, requesting that we prepare to be boarded. Since my character still has no idea what is going on, I let them board us. The doctor panics and kills both of the passengers since they can ID him, on account of him bringing them out of cryo to torture them for a bit.

I will never know whether the police arrived because one of the other players sent them a message, or if that was actually how the plot was supposed to go. I actually would not put it passed him to plan on boring the party to death for two sessions, then have the police come for no reason.

All the crew gets sentenced to life imprisonment, despite no one knowing anything about it and only the doctor being elbow deep in entrails.

:smug: *sets the prison scene* What do you do?

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you He is literally going to make us roleplay life imprisonment.

:black101: Ok, I know what to do first day in prison. I walk into the lunch hall, find the biggest dude in there and show him how I won my Stellar Cross at the Battle of Cyngi Iv.

I then pass a note to the GM.

:smug: Good doctor, you are walking back from you work station. Suddenly someone steps in front of you from around a corner.
:zoid: I turn and run.
:smug: There is another prisoner there, and they start advancing.
:zoid: I give up, because there is nothing I can do to stop it.
:smug: They stab you to death with prison shanks.
:black101: That is a crying shame. *pays the nice men their cigarettes*

We all agreed to not play Traveller again.

~~~

I think he was creating a sandbox for us to play in, however there were two fatal flaws to that plan. 1) No one knew anything about the setting. 2) He put us in positions, but then nothing to push the character out of that routine.

GM: You are a bus driver. What do you do?
Player: Drive the bus I guess.
GM: Do go on.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's really hard to follow because of the emoticons.

Mine or his? I can strip them out for legibility.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Smilies... the healing surge of this thread.