Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Oh man, I've experienced a near-Derek moment, come to think of it.

We were playing D&D 4.0 (Mince Pieface was actually our GM for this game), and the group had just begun to infiltrate the volcano lair of Tiamat's exarch Irregulon (Activia jokes abounded in that campaign). A bunch of villagers nearby had been kidnapped to work in the mines there, plus we'd heard that Irregulon held a powerful magical artifact, so we were being big drat heroes and sneaking in a side entrance.

We'd managed to evade security for the most part, until all of a sudden a giant dragon comes rearing out of the nearby lava pools. Battle ensues as we try to keep it from giving away our presence, and at first we were doing a pretty decent job of subduing it.

Then our resident swordmage decides to throw a fire spell at it.

A fire spell... at the lava dragon.

In character, out of character, the other players and I shouted at him for probably about 10 minutes trying to get him not to do it, but to no avail. I'm not sure what he thought would happen, exactly, but the GM just grinned as the dragon absorbed the fire attack and spewed lava everywhere in retaliation, killing one of the party members in the process as she slipped and fell in the lava pit.

Not quite as bad, but still a total :doh: moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

So I guess you all royally honked your monster knowledge checks? Because that's kind of what they're there for.

It didn't really matter what we told him at that point. We had a fighter (me), a rogue, a wizard, and a shaman at the time, but the wizard was too busy laughing at him and the shaman was too shy to ever speak up much at all. The rogue and I didn't really have much Int between us, we just figured that if that thing lived in lava, throwing fire at it wouldn't do much of anything.

Plus it takes time in combat to make checks, and we were too busy stabbing.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

On Monday we had the second-to-last session of the game I've been in since the beginning of last summer: D20 Modern, with a custom setting that our GM has put a lot of effort into. Basically, the end of the world happened two years ago when normal humans found out that all manners of supernatural beasties were real (including vampires, goblins, werewolves, and fishmen as playable races) were real, and we're playing in the biggest city left standing, which resides in an uneasy truce between humans and the supernatural. Santa Alma is a major southern Californian coastal city complete with ghetto, factories, and million-dollar beach homes, not that anyone would have to pay that much for them now.

In the first story arc, which lasted a week in-game and about 4-5 months in real life, we got in good with one of the major powers of the city (Rasputin, who'd like you to believe that yes, he IS that Rasputin), overthrew two others, and prevented a nuclear strike on the city by the US government, who were attempting to wipe out the entire supernatural threat in one strike. Only problem was, we didn't particularly want to relocate again or get incinerated ourselves, not to mention the fact that the city was also one of the last bastions of humanity as well. And, of course, what the PC's want, they fight for (and usually get, with enough effort :P).

Now we're a few days into the second week, in which we captured and started talks with the Goblin King, gotten shared psychic visions from the Cthulu-esque fishman god, fought off a horde of demonic zombie hobos, and were officially hired and subsequently nearly executed by Rasputin (so we just killed his clones and everyone he sent after us, no big deal). We've learned that three aliens have come to earth in the form of gods and fought for control of it for millennia, and now is another of their clashes.

In last night's campaign, we discovered that one of the gods was leading a battalion of vampires driving about 1000 tanks and 1000 trucks, plus two helicopters, towards the city with the intent to conquer it by force. Out on recon, our resident magical vampire child prodigy decided that he should try to use his mental magic to stun the helicopter pilots... they both failed their will saves, and with a little luck from dice rolls and points used from the FATE-esque aspect system our DM has in place, those two helicopters alone managed to destroy the entire fleet of tanks. So that was nice. :)

Still left us with a bunch of vampires to deal with, though. Once we understood the scope of the threat coming at us, all of the major powers of the city (including the entire party) met at Rasputin's Taco Shack and Brothel (aka the Taco Shack and Taco Shack) to decide what to do. We were just about out of ideas, when my character, a sneaky/investigative fishman detective, decided that one of their only options left was to appeal to his god (who turned out to be the warden of the other three alien gods) for aid. He and the other fishman NPC waded out into the ocean to commune with the giant bottom-dwelling kraken, and as its contract to watch over the other powers had expired and it had grown bored of their petty scuffles. It took all his diplomacy skills, my diplomacy skills, and the rest of the fate points I had left to convince it to intervene.

As my character crawled out of the water, tentacles erupted from his body, he grew a few feet and few hundred pounds in raw bulk, and erupted with light as he gained as-of-yet unexplored magical abilities. An uncounted army of fishmen emerged from the waves behind him, compelled by their god to help save the world.

Immediately the party explodes in extolling "alien fish tentacle Jesus". XD

And there's still one final session to go...

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

BEES

Thank you for posting this. :allears: Hadn't heard it before.

So, I'm pretty darn excited for the campaign I'm in that's starting up next week. The title of the campaign is Razor Strawberry Beatdown, and aims to emulate anime combined with all the bad Asian action movies of the 70's and 80's in the Fate system (GM apparently has his reasons for not using Feng Shui, most notably Fate's aspect system). The evil megacorporation Razor Strawberry led by the 19 year old genius Shinji Khan has taken control of the city Shokyo in the country of Supermanchuria, owning not only the companies, but also the land and people as well. All citizens of Shokyo have been implanted with brain chips called greyboxes that have turned them into docile, mindless corporate slaves, many against their will.

Below the city of Shokyo lies the Steam Hell, home to everyone who opposes the rule of Razor Strawberry, including people afraid of Razor Strawberry's iron rule, disgruntled cops out of a job, and people with experimental greyboxes implanted in them that failed, leaving them considerably more talented than normal in a given area and considerably less sane. We play the lieutenants of the Red Ridin' Hoods gang, drug runners throughout the Steam Hell, led by a large man with multiple personalities of "Grandma" and "The Wolf". Player characters range from a macho disco dance-fighter to a yandere female assassin with a pet tentacle monster to a botched greybox similar to River Tam to the groups' own personal fanfiction writer who knows gun-fu. I play an insane busty female weapons engineer with a botched greybox (think the Sparks from Girl Genius). Rival gangs with turf in the Steam Hell include the Pink Panda Squad, an anarchist group of kindergarten girls led by a man in a pink panda suit; Rainbow Force Go!, a band of renegade cops turned sentai force led by Brian the brain in a jar; and the Baker's Dozen, a group of 12 cooks/drugmakers who compete with us for the drug trade and due to the fact that their 13th member recently defected to our gang.

City and character creation to come up with all this were the last two Mondays, and the first of five sessions is next Monday. :D Cannot wait to see how it all plays out, especially since our GM is very, very good.