Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

So, I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I've finally decided to share some stories. For background, my circle of friends had dabbled with RPGs ever since middle school, mostly just running a few D&D dungeon crawls. A few years ago, we got into it for reals. My first really memorable experience was our Hunter: the Vigil one-shot, or as I like to call it, Five Little Hunters.

We were playing a "find the murderer"/"locked in with a killer" scenario, with the PCs being snowed in at a mansion where the other guests were being horribly slaughtered around us. The party had been summoned to the manor by the owner, except for one guy, Q, who was play the social dillettante son of the owner, for a lovely dinner, until the snows hit. The other five guests were also trapped, so we decided to hunker down and wait for a plow. The next morning, Guest A was found with his throat torn out. Everyone else was understandably distressed, so the PCs made a secret plan to track down the killer, led by Q, who knew the house and guests like the back of his hand.

The party failed to save Guests B and C, but kept Guest E close, as they had befriended him. At this point, all the clues pointed to Guest D, and the party barricaded themselves in the study, except for me, who had gone upstairs to grab some ammo from the attic. The ST handed me a note saying "Along with th ammo, you find the shredded body of Guest D, and some bloodstained pieces of paper. Don't tell anyone yet, or I'll kick you in the nuts".

I "ran" down to the study, with the papers, and burst in the door shouting that we were dead wrong. At the same time, the ST reached into his bag and tossed onto the table papers that had been made to look like bloodstained diary pages. More specifically, the pages of Q's diary discussing his hatred of his family, his spiral into madness, and his new "abilities".

Q started laughing evilly, and transformed into a werewolf. Cue audible gasps from the players, as we had been betrayed by one of our own! Combat ensues, and we learned that setting a werewolf on fire only makes him angrier. We only survived because we found some silver chains that had held Q's ancestor, and beat his skull in. High fives were had by all in celebration and general awesomeness.

Post game, we were talking and hanging out, and it came up that the ST and Q had planned this a month in advance, and Q had been built as a born liar and scoundrel. Everyone was in awe of the planning and forethought, and we all agreed that this needed to happen again.

Later:Mage: Drinking contests, "light" irradiation, and making physics cry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

w00tmonger posted:

Looking for a dark, dickery-filled, fairly simple game

I highly suggest Unknown Armies! It's like NWOD if written by Hunter S. Thompson, and it's a roll-under skill d% system, so super simple. What I like about is that skills are completely freeform, so it's really easy to make your character unique. For example, in my last game a player was channeling the idea of the lone gunslinger, but with a harpoon. Harpoon was his highest skill, and he used it in any situation possible. Cultists menacing you? HARPOON! Somebody cuts you off in traffic? HARPOON! Later in the campaign, someelse made the BBEG stick his hand in a garbage processor through the power of "gently caress You, I Have Money." The best part that all you need for running a game is the sourcebook, since it has a multitude of character types, NPCs to use, plot hooks, and the most elegant riot rules I have ever seen in an RPG.

There's a thread for it, as well as other Greg Stolze-designed games, over here:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3306874&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Feel free to drop in, ask some questions, and see if this game is right for you!