Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Which game was it that had a build you could do which was basically "Set yourself on fire, and then grapple the enemy until they burn to death"? I wanna say Pathfinder? It revolved around a monk or fighter feat which made you immune to fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:ssh: Your DM just took all the poo poo he had planned that you skipped and refluffed it to fit your new adventure. He crossed out "Cave Troll Encounter - 3rd floor stairs" and scribbled in "Forest Troll Encounter - road to bumblefuck"

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, that in of itself is a loving feat. Most GMs can't progress past the "cross out" part, and keep defaulting to "Find a way to force party towards 3rd floor stairs for Cave Troll encounter". But it's not like subverting his expectations flicked a switch in his brain from "lovely GM" to "Good GM". A good GM will have stuff planned out and know how to roll with the punches when that doesn't work out. A bad GM will have nothing planned out, and/or railroad players.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 12, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Well I dont mean he didnt have any plans or anything but, he took the hard and rigid plans he usually had and actually used the general gist and work it around to what the players were doing/ impacting.

My point was that usually he will have stuff planned out and if you divert too hard from the path then a mystical force or some other BS will steer you back. I was really surprised he let me turn the floor into mud and jsut didnt say "its magical it doesnt work". He took a step forward and it really made the gameplay more fun.

Well that's pretty great, then! It's always incredible when you can actually see someone improving, especially when it works to make the game more fun for everyone.