Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
My first thought was the DM was doing some malformed pity thing. Obviously you can't let a player fudge a score because my verisimilitude, but getting rid of the ad character through some twisted Kevorkian style mercy killing and letting Tubgirl Cosplay roll up another dude could work. Then I realized that's arguably even worse than the DM being a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One of the best campaigns I was ever in had the heroes mentored by the ghosts of the PCs from our last game, which was a 3.0 game (the current game was 4th). Eventually we got tired of being told completely wrong tactics and told them to go away. They were eventually bound to a lich we fought, under the assumption that the noble band of adventurers would never attack their mentor figures. Pretty dumb for a lich, I guess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A group I played with used to insult bad guys constantly. At least, they did until they were too busy flinging insults to realize that the necromancer had sent his lackey away, not out of embarrassment, but to activate the ritual to raze the kingdom ahead of schedule.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You turned your buddy's fighter into The Stig without him catching on, and that's beautiful.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So you want to play Feng Shui?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think the standard 13th Age solution for "How will I ever top this?" is "Throw some Icons at it."
I have to say, setting up an economy of benevolence has to be one of the best ways to solve an adventuring problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think it may be that we remember cool poo poo we do in role playing games because it's not just mechanical, but also narrative. War games don't have the same type of investment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Volmarias posted:

Bonus points if your next play is "The King In Yellow" and your campaign suddenly converts from 7th Sea to Call of Cthulhu.

Joke's on you, 7th Sea already is Call of Cthulu: Age of Sail.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You should expect nothing because you should remember that No Gaming Is Better Than Bad Gaming.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
poo poo like that is why Winson's mod around here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All games are bad when shitlords are involved.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, that write-up was great but assumes some familiarity with Powered by Apocalypse if not Monsterhearts in specific. Also that infernal owns. (The only thing better would be an Infernal who thought his Dark Power was an Angel, and was right.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually Apocworld owns always be playing *world games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Basically, Cortex+:Smallville::Powered By Apocalypse:Monster Hearts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You have Castholes right there, don't throw pearls before swine here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Call all wizards Vances. Even if there's no Vancian casting.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, that sounds like the sort of thing an organized games club would want if they were trying for a local RPGA light.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, swearing never again to play 3.5 is a good addition to never playing with them again. As a sort of baseline, you know.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The actual end of the story is that you never played with them again, right? Jesus christ.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I really don't get the DM's side here, like okay yeah taking off the blankets fine but by the time you realize you've entered the other sort of fantasy just have the guy try to take her poo poo or stab her. Sex Brinkmanship is a strange recourse.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
""His boyfriend ". Dude was a homophobe.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
250 year old Mayfly. Hit level 20 at sometime between subimago and sunset and it's been barreling forward ever since.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm pretty sure Superman and Aztek punched that thing to death in the end of Morrison's JLA run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The fact that your friend used your roleplaying game to safely explore their gender issues is actually kind of awesome?

I really am not sure what the problem is here. It's a little weird that you feel betrayed, I guess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

QuantumNinja posted:

I might be the cat piss guy. D: Thanks for the perspective. Good points all around, now I am gonna go sit in a corner and feel like an rear end for a while...

No need to feel like an rear end, by appearances you should be patting yourself on the back for having a table that let your player be comfortable doing things like that. Even if that didn't help them directly with their decision to out themselves ( to you or in general, you never said) it means they trusted you enough to let it out in the game.

You have done a good thing. Feel good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm actually super sad that we didn't get Giant Bonebots for Pendragon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

crowtribe posted:

Played my first ever game of Paranoia (XP) yesterday with the usual group.....Totally didn't understand the rules -> Turns out I didn't need to anyway.

That should be a blurb on the back of the rulebook, honestly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't remember that story, but it's a hilarious thing to do to a player. So long as it's fair, anyway.

It's Paranoia. It wouldn't be fair unless it was totally unfair.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Corman Quest.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude should have stuck to the Viking. "Oh, none of you can read runes? Let me put my ax down while you guys get ready to transcribe my translation."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look dude, if they're laughing at raping a dude it's not fair to get upset. That's like, the tyranny of fun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love that, to see all these points, you're dropping three digits worth of cash in Forgotten Realms supplements. Because that's something everyone is just poised to do, if only there were a good reason to elevate it beyond the impulse buy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's only an amusing observation. Made all the more amusing by the fact that you weren't asked! You just jumped in, citations at the ready, to make sure not an untrue thing was said about The Forgotten Realms. Most people don't put that much effort into explaining actually interesting settings. It's cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bless a lake, dunk some fools then start a tourist attraction.

The Papal Dells will have you rolling in dough, no time flat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Phy posted:

Construct a giant engine to house a hundred thousand ministers in a holy fractal array
Call it the Priest-o-tron
Bless the planet
Wait a hundred years
The water in everyone's blood is holy
Vampires die out from the posioning of their food source

That needs to be a DW style deathmove for somebody.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, we had that via a Fae spirit - a dip in the waters cleansed corruption. Then it all went south so fast when we tried to dip someone who had Protection from Good on them and corrupted the pool.

I bet The Anti-Papal Dells looks just as good on ye olde t-shirts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Zereth posted:

If you're actually in charge, where's the line between a protection racket and taxes, really?

One is payed for things to get done, one is payed to make sure things don't happen. A fundamental but easily blurred difference.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The book does one better in that there are no redeemable characters and yet all characters are capable of redemption. The message of the movie is totally skewed by a bit of publishing butchery when the novel came over to America.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's right there in the campaign name, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You're actually roleplaying wrestlers, not the characters wrestlers roleplay as. If you're new to the idea it can be difficult to keep things in line.