Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Someone in another thread mention the Dragon Mountain module from 2e, which I remember fondly because I played it. It was a group of us, 15 year olds in 1995, eating cheetos and being awesome D&D nerds. I was playing a 11th level Thri-Kreen fighter, and we had to defend a village from about a 500-strong Kobold army.

We know they're coming, and start preparing... when I get an idea. See, in 2nd Edition, if a fighter is several levels higher than his opponent, there's some sort of combat mastery rule where they extra attacks per round based on how over-leveled they are. And then I realized, as a Thri-Kreen, I can naturally get 5 attacks (claw/claw/claw/claw/bite) per round if I stop using my spear. Sure, they only deal 1d3+4 each, but Kobolds only have 5 HP, so any hit would kill them. Then the Wizard, who was ready to start flinging fireballs like the true artillery piece he was, realizes he has Haste memorized.

:witch: :Well I could haste you, and get you an extra attack per round.
:mordin: :I'm not sure about that, I only have five years to live, and Haste takes a year off your life. Is it worth the risk? I could die!
:rolldice: (dm): You would get an extra attack with each of your natural attacks.
:mordin: :....
:mordin: ::krakken:

So the kobolds attack, and I wade into combat, claw/claw/claw/claw/bite-ing for all I'm worth. Because of the Haste, the level disparity, and 5 natural attacks modded by the "3 attacks every 2 rounds" for my level, I am attacking 40 times per round.

At this point, I explain to the DM that I will simply be rolling a d20, and that is how many kobolds I kill each round, as I am now an insectoid blender of death.

Did we get the rules right? Probably not. But on that shining day, for just a few rounds, my Thri-Kreen fighter stood tall.

Covered in kobold splatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU