Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

This was my military group before we PCSed away from one another. For this story; I play a goliath barbarian, while my friend plays a human rogue.

Playing 4th edition, come across a bottomless chasam with stairs (without rails) leading down, platform to platform. We had just finished out a group of enemies on one of the platforms, and looking down, we spot a few orcs on the next platform, some 10 tiles away from us.

Trying to be creative, I decided to take a brazier and dump out the coals onto the stairs, creating dangerous terrain they would have to come up. Rather than doing so, the orcs simply waited around until the coals cooled off.

Not having any of that, I decide to get a running jump to go over the coals, to charge the orcs. A botch roll on the jump, and barely succeeding on my roll to stay on the stairs, I am now face down on a bunch of burning coals.

My friend decides to attempt the same thing, except now with me in the way. He jump; fails his roll, then critically succeeds his check to stay on the stairs. The DM asked him where he wanted to land. After a thoughtful minute, he decided 'On the barbarian.'

Queue a quick discussion about momentum, physics, and using coals to 'roll' the barbarian down the flight of stairs while the rogue surfed on his back. We made it to the bottom of the stairs in one piece (Myself taking 1d6 burning coals and 1d6 stairs damage), and we end up a tile away from the orc -- Provoking an attack of opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I just had a taxi driver tell me about his "Half-giant, half-were-black panda bear Psychic warrior/fighter/cleric" that planned to go 10th level pyrokineticst but had his alignment changed from chaotic neutral to neutral good because of a sword. He said at level 10 pyro he would be able to do 500 points of damage with a con save they had to make twice or die. He went on to tell me that the only reason he went cleric was for a 'Find alignments' spell that made him undetectable because he was roaming hell with a half demon/half devil.

I'm wondering if this is even possible now.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 8, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Had two great experiences within one game a while back before I moved halfway across the world. What started as a 3 player + DM game with some drinks and the like ended as a 2 player game + DM when one of the individuals ended up dropping out on us. Pathfinder, in Forgotten Realms.

We were damned to play anyways, so we set up with our characters: My friend rolled a... Rogue? At the time, and played very cleverly using the situation. I decided to play a Barbarian; "Jwoon"; who was on his journey after a vision quest led him to believe by eating the mythical strong monsters, he'd become strong himself.

Our first play found us getting Ambushed by a party of Drow. I believe it ended up with Myself, my friend, and a NPC cleric for healing purposes. We get ambushed; one of them breaking their bow on a critical failure, and the other missing his shot. The other individual wades into melee.

This individual drow, who decided to come into melee, was met by a critical hit, isntantly killing him. The Drow, down a bow, out numbered, and just losing a man in one swing, surrender instantly.

I'll stop here to say that this was my first experience with Drow (As a person). I played my barbarian as a 'noble savage' type, so when they surrendered, I accepted. The other player, knowing what Drow were, had them tied up and follow us while we continued on our journey. I got alot of talking out of them by being generally friendly. We ended up burying their companion(s) after they lead us back to their camp, which had been ransacked by some mysterious horsemen.

For those of you who don't know: Drow arn't friendly, and probably hated me, percieved me as weak minded, and were plotting their escape. They actually managed to break free, once we got into an escalated fight with a swarm of Giant Bees. During the encounter where we managed to lure them into a corridor, they broke free of their bonds (Which they were secretly working on), used their SLA Darkness to blind Myself and the enemies I was fighting, then made a break for it. I sent the rogue after them; but he only managed to capture one as they were escaping up a ladder.

The Bee-hive ended up containing alot of Wax and Honey, so we had a merchant come out and get it while we took our Drow prisoner back to the nearby town to hand him over to some... Good Drow deity? I had collected some honey during our raid, so I, being the beign barbarian, decided to share. The rogue and cleric accepted. The Drow didn't.

The next scene would be my character, a 20str human barbarian, pinning down a drow and shoving honey down his throat, going "IT'LL PUT SOME FAT ON YA ELF, KEEP YOU WARM DURING THE WINTERS." And laughing. Cause foood is a good thing. Always.

Second memorable encounter was enacted totally by my friend. We manage to 'sneak' (Read: Silence and kill, then wear the uniforms of the gate guards) our way into this keep. We stumble across the living quarters, where some humans and orcs were gambling and sleeping.

The rogue, a clever bastard of a player, gets a bright idea: They're playing a dice gambling game, and has me go over, make friendly contact, and play with them. Naturally, with my horrible d20 rolls, I lose. Alot.

Rogue: You've seem to be on a lucky winning streak (Talkin to the npc human)
Human: Sure am.
*Couple of more rolls lost*
Rogue: Really lucky, it seems.
Human: Sure am.
*Couple of more rolls lost*
Rogue: *Snatches up the dice*
Rogue: THESE DICE.... THEY'RE WEIGHTED! *Bluffs, suceeds*
Human: What?
Orc: What?
Rogue: THIS HUMAN... IS TAKING YOUR MONEY!

By now his yelling has woken up one of the Orcs; who; with some quick thinking, gets targeted by my (Abmysal) bluff score. "THEY TOOK YOUR GOLD." while pointing to the humans.

Technically, while not true, there was alot of gold on the table. The bluff ends up passing, and the orc, in a fit of rage, gets up and starts an axe-fight with the human. This escalates to a full on human vs orc fight while myself and the rogue sitting on the sidelines until all but one orc is left standing. My axe takes him down. Encounter completed.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Edit: Ignore this post.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 23, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

42. Comes after 45 and before 46. Gain the help of an invisibile patron, who will narrate your entire experience in third person with a soothing voice.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Friend of mine is running Silver Age Sentinels. Fairly rail-roady DM, but we're having fun with it. We're playing the bad guys, and while a bit sluggish, the dialogue coming out of it is amazing.

"We probably do some villany together, as a team, so we can get used to one another. Teamwork and all that."
"You mean like, rob a bank? We're supposed to laying low for a bit."
"I was thinking something smaller."
"A... credit union?"
"We could try a 7-11."

Hopefully our GM doesn't rail road us too hard and we get to knock over a convience store next game. As supervillans.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Running a super-villains campaign; started them all off in a prison so they can bust out in style. They all wear special collars that restrict their powers, so right now they're trying to figure out how to get em off and bust out. As their introduction, they're eating lunch, and decide to all crowd around one of the other players -- A 9ft 380lbs Sabertooth type. Here's what one of them had to say.

quote:

First thing you do on the inside is find the biggest guy you can. They can shut down strength, speed, energy blasts, pyro hydro ferro and telekinesis. But they can't shut down big. Big is forever.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I've encouraged one of my 'Roll' players to 'Role'play by linking mechanical bonuses(+3s and stuff) to a non-qualitative Roleplay. Things like 'For every 30s of blathering you do, your allies get a +1 distraction bonus to their stealth' or 'You can provoke the drow priestess into attacking you if you can get 15 insults in under a minute'. Once it becomes mesurable, it was easier to get him to open up and roleplay a bit.

Edit for content: Since this is the notable gaming experiences; I'll tell the small story behind the Blathering/stealth.

The guy in question was playing a Paladin; with the rest of the group filling in as (what I think) as rogue, monk, and a caster of some sort. All decent sneakers except him, so they left him out in the streets to cause a distraction while they 'infiltrated' (Robbed) a church for some incriminating documents.

We worked out that he could 'Aid Another' with any skill to give a +2 to the stealthing group. When we asked how he was going to cause a distraction, he fumbled with his words a bit and settled on 'Banging pots and pans.' We didn't ask where he got the pots and pans from, and it didn't really matter as he pulled a 7 after everything was totalled up (I think we used his ST modifier). I picked up the dice and said. "Alright; instead of banging pots and pans, for every minute you can keep talking about something -- anything, I'll add a person to this crowd. Each person you get will give the group a +1 to their stealth."

We paused the game for shots, and he talked me down to 30 seconds/a person, I agreed, and he dissapeared into his bedroom for a bit. Comes back out with a huge freaking bible(King James?). It turns out that his grandpa was one of those fire/hell/brimstone preachers, and he used to go to church alot when he was little. The next 7 minutes of him giving one of those speeches while throwing random passages from the bible at before he ran out of steam, as the rest of the party was trying their best not to laugh, which netted the group a +14 for their stealth. To quote the party's rogue: "This place is god damned empty!"

It was full of 'Uhh', 'Umms', and the occasional frantic bible flipping, but it did really open him up. (I can only assume the alcohol helped)

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 3, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Dear TG Experiences thread;

Yesterday I flying suplexed a bar wench into a hobgoblin, defeating them both.

The voice in my head who calls himself DM declares that this is an evil act; but I declare that this is justified, as the bar wench touched my mask, and the hobgoblin was burning down the tavern.

How can I suplex the voice in my head?

Yours truly,

El Chuabarbarbacabara

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

How the poo poo do you say that?

I couldn't actually say 'Chubacabra' without horribly butchering it halfway through, so I've just been pronouncing it differently every time and adding in more and more letters to it.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Lemon Tree posted:

Sword of Damocles

Some days I'm ashamed to be associated with this hobby.

Can't people just run like, normal things? Something where you argue with the DM about prying doors off of hinges, stealing anything thats not nailed down, and trying to figure out how much you can sell monster bits for?

Also it sucks you lost your dice; I'm rather attached to my dice.

Edit: I know that last sentence is weird but my girlfriend bought me mine and they're metal. Satisfying rolling noises, even if they can scratch up a table. I couldn't bear leaving them behind, especially in that company.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 18, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

How would you even play a Maid RPG with stripping out the wacky elements?

"I wash some socks."
"Roll your sock washing skill."
"I got a 17, does that hit?"
"Sorry, you're unable to wash the socks. They are still dirty."

Meanwhile the group next to you could be like my group, in which last night we:

-Find our warlock/bard in a painting
-Kill some lava dudes and a gnome(The other bastard got away :argh:)
-DM describes the doors as being solid iron
-Free a prisoner who's a bit of an rear end in a top hat, debate keeping him locked up in the dungeon
-Debate for 20 minutes on how much iron is an iron door
-Debate for another 10 how much it would sell for on the market
-DM decides that it's made of Unobtanium
-Debate for 5 minutes on how much Unobtainum is in a door, and how much it would be worth
-Fight Get demolished by some Ettercaps, trying not to set the place on fire
-Argue about Ettercaps not having opposable thumbs nor the intellegence to use great axes, as we get destroyed by really good rolls
-Our striker actually rolling above a 4 for once. Rolls a 3 for damage.
-Debate for 15 minutes on how much spiderweb is in the area, and how much it would be worth on the market.

So far we're up 2.5 cubic feet of spiderweb, and a 60x10 ft painting that we ripped off a wall. Some other misc. treasure, but nothing beats stripping a dungeon bare for extra loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

The Avenger is actually a Paladin :v:, so we have 3 defenders running around. I'm sort of filling the leader role with judicial use of Lay on Hands, and it's been working so far, despite our best attempts to steal everything not nailed down to the ground.

I'm not a very good paladin.