Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Let he who has not thought of running a super-serious cockfighting seizure-monster campaign cast the first stone.

(Actually, I did more than just think of it. (Unfortunately it wasn't actually notable, but I'll try harder next time.))

I'm half convinced this is why Sorcerer even exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Oh my god, if Only War is 40K: Paranoia Edition it might be the greatest Warhammer thing ever created. Is the character creation slimmed down any from the other 40K RPGs?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not really. I haven't played to much of the 40K RPGs (Couple sessions of Deathwatch and dabbled in Dark Heresy), but from what I can tell they're all essentially the same system with different focuses. Hell, if anything Only War is more complicated, since you have the option to create your own regiment that determines your character's starting skills and equipment.

Aww. Thanks for the reality check then, I'll stick with 3:16.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Asphyxious posted:

Is the 40k RPG character creation that bad? I've run a bunch of them and the players tend to really get into CC. What's your idea of a good/better creation method?

It's not so much that it's awful or anything (in fact, the random-roll tables in Dark Heresy at least never fail to provide amusing results), but I tend to roll pretty rules-light these days, and it's just a little more handling time than I feel comfortable with, especially if Only War is going to be a total meat grinder "too bad you pissed off the quartermaster, you deploy with three empty lasgun clips and a cricket bat" black humor farce. I haven't read Deathwatch but I understand Fantasy Flight is willing to tweak the WHFRPG2 mechanics a bit if they feel circumstances warrant (like the mass-combat mook slaughter rules in Deathwatch) so I was hoping they'd maybe make the Imperial Guards reverse mooks, so there'd be a little less handling time between old peon becoming a grease stain and the new bright-eyed recruit hopping into the thresher.

But I guess not.

TLDR, it's not them, it's me.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

There's a reason the even more storygamey version of Amber Diceless in the September Design Contest was "gently caress You Eric Whatever". :v:

Let's be fair, Erick Wujcik is hopefully being feted in Gaming Valhalla for all the awesome and amazing insanity he crammed into Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China, which are basically the GURPS books of Palladium in terms of being awesome sourcebooks for any other game but the one they were written for. Given that I can forgive him for how egregiously Amber both fails to actually be a proper adaptation of the source material and contains ludicrously, almost unbelievably hostile GM advice that seems designed to make fistfights break out at your table.

quote:

And DH character generation isn't too bad. It's a little fiddly and overcomplex, but it's manageable. Actually playing the game, however...

In all fairness, while I wouldn't play DH again, I have absolutely no regrets about running it because I got to use those amazing critical hit tables. One of my players somehow managed to tear all the skin off a man's torso using a blunt instrument, and another guy got set on fire by a lasgun and three rounds later the ongoing damage made him explode.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
All this lightsaberchat reminds me of my own, far less awesome but now hilarious in hindsight D6 Star Wars story. We had an on-and-off game that lasted all through high school, where I started off as some cyborg archetype I can't recall the name of, and decided to be Force Sensitive. Over the next four years I spent dozens of character points to pick up all the starting Jedi Force Powers in-game, and eventually made my own lightsaber.

Then the first time I actually use the drat thing, I roll below the "safe handling" threshold and do 30 points of damage to myself, instant death. It was clear to everyone at the table that my character had just instantly decapitated himself.

gently caress D6 Star Wars.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Tyndolionel posted:

So, we've all been having fun playing Tenra Bansho Zero, and I've beeen pretty impressed with the way the mechanics work to encourage scenes of characters interacting in interesting ways and building relationships. Given the subject matter, I wasn't expecting the game to be so good at creating interesting stories and drama. It may not be the greatest story, but for me it was a notable experience, as I felt like it was the most successful session of an RPG that I've ever run, and it seemed like everyone else had a lot of fun and got involved as well, and that's a good feeling.

Yeah, Tenra is almost ridiculously good that way. It might be my new favorite game, since it lets me scratch my gonzo fun and story focus itches at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like reminiscing a bit about a Deadlands game I ran... yikes, nigh on ten years now. It ended up falling apart after like five, six sessions but we had some memorable moments along the way.

Animal Magnetism

So one of the PCs had this elaborate backstory where he appeared to be a Mountie, working out of his jurisdiction hunting down a pack of werewolves that fled down South. In reality, he was the amnesiac survivor of one of their massacres, having salvaged the clothes and gear of the Mountie who came to stop them and failed. It's always great when a player hands you this kind of plot hook on a silver platter (even if it is a little FF7 now I think about it), so I ran with the "PC as unreliable narrator" and decided the pack leader wasn't just a werewolf, but a fallen Jewish mystic cursed by God with lycanthropy, as He was apparently prone to do to baal shem that abused their power.

So anyway, this guy was a wizard werewolf, and clearly destined to be at least one of this campaign's Big Bads. I statted him up to be way out of the PCs' league at this juncture, but also way too into playing with his food to consider them worth killing yet, so I figured I'd introduce him in an unexpected setting and then have him make his exit. If nothing else he'd just no-sell whatever violence was aimed at him, maybe straight-up jump out the window of the train all the PCs were meeting on if need be.

(in hindsight this is a bit of a railroad move, but since we were establishing all the PCs meeting while riding on the same train, I suppose I found it irresistible)

So Werezard sits down in the diner car next to the Mountie, and starts making small talk, doing the urbane evil thing and just laying the wolf and prey metaphors ungodly thick. The Mountie had already shared his story at this point and pretty much all the PCs were getting real uneasy as the penny dropped, all except the Mountie, just the coolest cucumber around, never losing his cool or even making a threat. Eventually the bad guy tips his hat and moseys out.

Everyone at the table compliments the Mountie's player on how James Bond he handled that poo poo... and then he confesses HE JUST THOUGHT THIS RANDOM NPC WAS HITTING ON HIM AND HE DIDN'T MAKE THE WEREWOLF CONNECTION AT ALL.

Horniness Is Next To Godliness

Couple sessions later, the group is in New Orleans or thereabouts, and of course the group's Huckster insists on getting in some poker. And of course, he ends up in an insanely high-stakes game where at least one of the other players is a voodoo priest. And of course, the Huckster starts using hexes to cheat.

This would have been a real tense situation, except that it suddenly hits me that the Huckster really piled on the disadvantages, so he is real old, lame in one leg, and extremely lecherous... which are pretty much all the traits attributed to the voudoun equivalent of Hermes. The Houngan suddenly decides this must be some kind of spiritual initiation or test, folds so the Huckster wins the entire pot, and spends the rest of the night wining and dining him while kissing his rear end. The huckster, of course, just eats all this up as his natural due and generously allows him to shower him with wealth and praise, not even asking why.

On Mixed Successes

Now, the indirect reason the group was in New Orleans was that they were fleeing Atlanta, where the game started, on account of how they resolved a situation where a bunch of the local Masons had started up a Hellfire Club that ended up trucking with actual demons. By the time the PCs got wind of all this and started investigating, they'd reached the point of conducting a human sacrifice to the dark powers. The group immediately resolved to thwart the ritual... by sneaking around outside the lodge, barring all the doors, setting the building on fire, and shooting anybody who tried to crawl out the windows. There were no survivors.

It seemed pretty clear to me that instead of stopping the ritual, they had instead hijacked it by presenting a far greater sacrifice (both in quantity and quality of victims-- this was like three quarters of the town's leading citizens), so now the Reckoners were beholden to them for raising the ambient fear levels instead. The group were not happy when they put two and two together a few sessions later...