Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I always find it vexing how much the goodness of a game depends on the GM *and* the players not being fundamentally asshat-tastic, given how much time it takes to set up a game and meet together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Colon V posted:

I just imagined an adventuring party consisting of Redd Foxx (tank), George Carlin (melee DPS), Bob Saget (ranged DPS), Gilbert Gottfried (mezzer), and Rodney Dangerfield (healer) as an adventuring party, using different styles of insult fighting to humiliate and ruin monsters without ever lifting a finger.

Now you've got me imagining a Monkey Island conversion for 7th Sea. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Kosmonaut posted:

Shadowrun Gone Bad

It's like a Michael Mann movie set in the future. :pwn:

AgentF posted:

Doctor: The Atonement

Ahahaha, nice, I love it when game mechanics and improv theater meet at a glorious crossroads like that. :D

Also, should I crosspost my WH40k Deathwatch highlights in here or keep them in the 40k Roleplay thread?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
If you insist!

Allow me to recollect the highlights of our group, the Emperor's Angels of Failure.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

*Brother-Sergeant Ignatus Magnum of the Ultramarines (Tactical/Tyrannic War Veteran, my character)
    *Brother Mathias of the Imperial Fists (Devastator)
    *Brother Gottfried of the Black Templars (Assault)
    *Brother Sanguis Aerugo of the Blood Angels (Techmarine)
    *Sanguinary Priest Anvilus of the Blood Angels (Apothecary)
    *Brother-Librarian Calibos of the Dark Angels (Librarian, obviously)

ADVENTURE THE FIRST - Fun Times With Tyranid Scout Organisms:

In Which The Angels Descend From The Heavens to Retrieve A Wayward Techpriest With Sensitive Intel On Chaos Activity Before Tyranids Eat The Planet And Look Like Total Morons In The Process.

-One Marine consistently throwing grenades backwards
-A Tyranid gaunt surviving a direct hit from a missile while others around him are destroyed due to bizarre dice flukes
-Our Techmarine punching things so hard they EXPLODE. :black101:
-My character finishing off a 'Nid warrior by punching its head off and claiming it as a trophy.
-Our Devastator's rockets hitting everything but the ground.
-My character's bolter jamming on the first turn of combat in the first battle of our first session of the game.
-Our group failing hysterically to dispose of a quaint group of 24 'gaunts and 2 'Nid warriors while an Imperial Commissar conversely wracks up kills like he's a Primarch.
-Our Devastator knocking a Trygon silly with a concussion rocket
-Our Assault Marine dumping a grenade down said Trygon's throat...For 1 damage. :pseudo:
-A random Guardsman finishing off said Trygon by just un-loving-loading on it with a heavy bolter. (Error here on GM's part RE: full-auto fire, but too insane to deny.)

ADVENTURE THE SECOND - Bumper Cars/Tanks:

In Which The Angels Slowly Learn To Harness The Emperor's Chariots And Hunt For A Heretical Ordos Xenos Inquisitor.

-Our Blood Angels' Baal Predator attempts to manuever out of the enemy's line of fire and runs into a wall.
-The uber-Commissar joined us for an encore and demanded that his tank's pilot drive him close, that he might hit them with his sword.
-A tank in our midst (mechanized assault mission!) turned traitor at an inopportune time, but we thwarted by dogpiling it with our own tanks for maximum tank shock.
-After dismounting, we interrupt a Chaos ritual in a building with excellent efficiency, partly thanks to our arrived-mid-game Librarian, who does a good job of playing up his secretive schtick. Our Black Templar hears vox chatter from the body of a dead cultist, listens in, hears that our target is sending reinforcements to check out the clatter, and our Black Templar dares the heretic scum to come to him. He then crushes the voxcaster. What a guy! :clint:
-Our Librarian prettymuch instantly frying a Night Lords Chaos Marine in one turn. Our Librarian gets poo poo done! :black101:

ADVENTURE THE THIRD - If You Run Out Of Targets, Shoot Yer Buddy:

In Which The Angels Get New Toys, Shoot Lots Of People Dead, And Must Help 8-Foot-Tall Angry Men Work Through Their Differences:

-My character repeatedly discovering the joy of a Storm Bolter + Metal Storm rounds and removing huge chunks of enemy heretic hordes.
-A pair of Dreadnoughts having their drat assault cannons jam. Fortunately they had storm bolters in their other arms! :eng101:
-Getting attacked by some apparent Alpha Legion moles disguised as Ultramarines.
-Coming upon some Dark Angels firing on unarmed civilians for apparent Chaos cooperation. We got them to come along with us instead. We concluded that the covert Alpha Legion presence is inciting the citizens to paranoia, causing them to fire upon the loyalist forces which would then cause the loyalists to fire back, sowing fear, uncertainty and doubt.
-Regrouping with the Company Captains of the three Space Marine battle groups also assigned to the operation, and attempting to discern where amongst the Space Marines the traitors are hiding...Only for about half of the Captains' Honour Guard to turn against us as a Alpha Legion warband leader IN FREAKING TERMINATOR ARMOR and his Chaos Sorceror buddy teleport down to face us.
-Once again our Librarian gets poo poo done and fries the Sorceror with disturbing ease.
-Relentless firepower finally downs the warband leader, only for him to turn into A GODDAMN DAEMON PRINCE.
-Through more dakka and our Librarian's mad skills (and also the Captains drawing most of the fire that would otherwise hit us) we down the Daemon Prince. As we regain our bearings and lick our wounds, our Librarian goes over to examine the remains of the Sorceror's armor...And finds it bears the chapter markings of the Dark Angels. poo poo. JUST. GOT. REAL. :black101:

-----

Thus concludes the Chronicles of Fail for now. More mayhem to report in about a week!

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 27, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Jesters, your stories aren't really...stories. They're just a list of things that happened.

:<

Okay. Bit new to this (posting AARs on the internet, not tabletop RPGs), so...Sorry.

I'll come back when A) I know what I'm doing, and B) I have something more storyworthy. (Only entry up there that makes for a good laugh is the 1st session anyway.)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Will do!

That much said, in summary...

-Session One: We couldn't shoot worth poo poo.

-Session two: We couldn't drive worth poo poo.

-Session three: We couldn't---actually, we did pretty good this time.

I'll rewrite them later when I have time to recap three whole sessions. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
In my defense I posted my adventures in bulletpoint/snippet form because I was worried that otherwise it be an uneven mix of awesome/silly crap happening and lulls in the fighting. And I hate filler, as I wouldn't want to bore anyone. But now I know! :v:

I'll be sure to explain the terminology next time though!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I've come to the conclusion that the way to make things go right in tabletop RPGs is to actually make them go gloriously wrong.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Chance II posted:

We finally had our first game of Eclipse Phase this weekend with the rookie power gamer DM I described earlier in this thread. It is off to a rocky start with the DM floundering on how to get us hooked into the scenario and trying to counter every party action behind the scenes. We have been cooling our heels for a month after being contracted by the Firewall organization. We have no information on what we are contracted to do and have had no contact for the past month. When we finally are contacted by the our handler, he plays coy and refuses to give us any details other than to get on the ship in the hanger that is programed to take use to our target destination. The ship is totally hack proof and the the handler is apparently a master hacker with no history to be dug up by our sentient AI program also master hacker PC.

In transit, we are contacted by another organization with a counter offer to our job that we don't realize is a counter offer because our employer hasn't actually told us what we are supposed to be doing. This organization's handler is also untracable and apparently capable of wiping out our Ego back ups, knows every detail possible about our characters, and can shut down the mesh in our area at whim.

After the session, I tried to explain about player agency and that we are here to play so we don't have to be tricked into accepting missions but I don't think it got through. Think I'm gonna have to bale on what could have been a fun game.

Good RPGs in the hands of bad bad DMs are the worst thing, I swear. :(

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Honestly, one of the strikes I hold against EP is that it's possible to be misused like this.

What, namely that it's possible to turn one's entire surroundings into a deathtrap and thus use it to railroad players, or...?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah. There's no scene, session, or campaign structure, no assurances for the characters' abilities, no thematic focus...like Shadowrun, it leaves how to actually, like, play the game an exercise for the reader.

Game design is pedagogic design, and most "bad gms" are just victims of poor designs, having learned the wrong things.

(some bad gms are of course, terrible people who happen to play roleplaying games)

Ahhhh, okay. Yeah, that...Could be problematic.

And the game was made by some of the designers of 4th-ed Shadowrun, so there you go.

I feel a big rant about Eclipse Phase coming on and suddenly wonder if Transhuman Space/GURPS Ultra-Tech/something else might be less of an infuriating system for my BEEP BOOP CYBORG needs.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

MissMarple posted:

:black101: :v:

That is why I love Deathwatch. Even when things go horribly, horribly wrong, it's still metal as gently caress.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

!!!

I suddenly understand so much more about it, and maybe even feel more understanding towards it.

Yeah, it kinda widened my eyes too.

Not sure whether for better or for worse. I think Shadowrun is fun but depending on my mood the setting is either utterly awesome or utterly ridiculous to me.

Which is about par for the course for our hobby. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So you've got a fatassed undead rotting crow.

Call it Nurgle. :v:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Hey now, if it weren't for the prequels we wouldn't have Republic Commando. :colbert:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Now that's what I call soul food! :haw:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Counter-argument: Republic Commando led to Karen Traviss writing for Star Wars. :smugbert:

Auuuugh, gently caress, I'm having mini-flashbacks here.

:cry:

God dammit, you're right. It's like an escalating spiral of horrible that occasionally craps out pure gold by accident.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Axelgear posted:

:whatthechrist:

Can I join your group? :buddy:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Axelgear posted:

I suppose so. The short version is that something of a con artist managed to find an idiot savant linguist and pass it off as his own. It was created as the fictional language for a VR show, for an alien species of what amounted to Klingons.

Except it turns out that this savant was a bit too good (largely due to his infection with the Exsurgent Virus). The language he created acted as a sort of mental programming. By itself, it doesn't affect you, but, if you use it, learn it, think in it regularly, it has a sinister effect: It taints memories.

According to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, language has an effect on memory. Humans compartmentalize memory based on the language they use and this has been experimentally proven with things like ability to differentiate colour/assign blame. This new language makes people generate negative associations with everything they interact with. The more they use it, the more their memory is increasingly aggressive and hateful. Bit by bit, they become argumentative jerks. Eventually, violence starts to break out, antisocial personalities come to the fore, and you have a group of angry, dangerous people.

It ended with them all modifying themselves into huge, muscular war-beasts, trading in their dull prop weapons for monomolecular blades. I got a recording of Maori Haka to play in the background when they started hunting these people.

It actually made me feel a little proud when Linguist Lady squealed with delight at this particular plot. Then, a few days later, someone introduced me to Snow Crash and I didn't feel so original.

Your version is original! Yours operates off of a more carrot-and-stick method of brainwashing whereas Snow Crash was basically the neurological equivalent of hacking yourself admin/root rights to a Linux boxen.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

So how much do emoticons cost round these parts? Because you really need :black101: with a lightsabre.

You know what the world needs?

Jedi Vikings.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is brilliant. Let's try to reconstruct it.

You've given items 1-3 already.

4: a thick visor which switches the character's vision and hearing, making them see sound and hear light.
e:
5: An RPG book containing many powerful secrets and detailed instructions on how to obtain them, for an RPG system and setting the character is unconnected to.

I think this warrants its own thread, or at least a gobstopper-length entry in Dungeons & Douchebags. :D

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I'm not so sure I want to attract ANY kind of attention from an Atropal. :gonk:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
18. Apparatchik of Kwalish.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Volmarias posted:

35. Ring of Spider Summoning (summons 1d6 non-magical, non-poisonous, average sized spiders)
36. The rules for playing solitare (how does this always end up shuffled in? sorry guys, just deal another card)
37. A delicious sandwich
38. A bland, slightly dry sandwich

39. A Jill sandwich. 1d20 zombies and 1d6 Umbrella Corporation commandoes appear and fight you for the sandwich.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Volmarias posted:

40. A sexy sandwich. A male and female (where applicable) of your species suddenly appear in front of and behind you and grind on you. Whether this is a good outcome is up to you.

41. A Sandvich. Small, delicious, made with delicious meat, cheese, and one olive. Able to be used approx. once every 3 rounds. Grants +5 on Diplomacy checks with Russian mercenaries.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm surprised those bones didn't immediately assemble themselves into more skeletons that you had to fight.

Yeah, you'd think some undead champion fighters would have the sense to keep a skeleton crew on hand. :v:

(I REGRET NOTHING!)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Never let the game be an arena for real life. Never never never.

You can't be afraid to call out the DM if they're being petty. This is a game and if they want to turn it into their own personal pissing funnel they must not be allowed to do so.

Don't let the geek social fallacies warp your life and your mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Not really much to it. I met him through a mutual friend and we basically had had all of one session. He got super into the whole Silver Fang Alpha thing. And getting into character is fine, I'm all for it. But I was out later with some of my friends and he saw me, and came over to talk, in character. Things got really uncomfortable real quick and I just kind of tried to play it off as a joke but mostly 'dude you're scaring the straights.' He responded with "I demand you obey the litany and show deference to your Alpha!" and my Tuesdays suddenly got extremely busy for the foreseeable future.

I think the dude may have legitimately believed I was a Glass Walker somehow.

...And this is why I'm a Hunter: The Vigil/Reckoning guy.

Is it ironic that for all the horror stories surrounding the worst WoD players getting too in-character, I have yet to hear one about someone who got too in-character in a Hunter mindset? You'd think that would be THE daydream-believer generator.