Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I occasionally run one-shots of Atomic Highway for my tabletop group, using a not entirely serious take on the setting that I've dubbed Atomic M25 (or Green and Unpleasent Land).

In the last session, having completed their mission, they were preparing to drive back out through the hedge of mutant leylandii surrounding the town they were in - they'd discovered on the way in that it had the ability to make people want to stop and then send them to sleep.

They took some sensible precautions - a brick under the brake pedal etc. then the player of the Morris Man says, "We should sing to keep awake."

Me: Sure, sing.

Players: (More or less in tune) The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...

Two verses.

It would have felt churlish to make them roll after that performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Etherwind posted:

It's also the single strongest argument for power parity among player characters. I just had someone join a Vampire: the Requiem game I'm running, and he jumped straight in at about the same XP as the other characters (he's holding back a little until he figures out where he wants the character to go). I can't imagine he'd be having half as much fun as a starting character, XP wise.
Agreed. I joined a Shadowrun game once where I had to make a 0 karma character. I spent the entire game being pretty much baggage.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If one of my gaming group is ill or has an early day at work the next day we sometimes skype them in, but it's never quite as good as having them in person even with cameras running. (I have things set up so that they appear on my TV rather than computer monitor)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I went to a new gaming club last night to join in a D&D game. The players are pretty chill, but one of them has the most magnificent * neckbeard. In profile you could draw a straight line down from the end of his chin to his chest. He's a young guy too, perhaps some sort of steampunk-hipster going by his waistcoat.

Why do geeks do this to themselves?

*And by magnificient I mean terrible.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

thelazyblank posted:

Unfortunately, the best way is usually to keep trying and looking in my experience. For every garbage group I've had, I've probably had a good enough group as well. I think I lucked out though, as none of the poo poo I ran into was worth a big post here.

There was one where some guy kept talking over everyone, not paying attention to anything and was making dick jokes with or towards the GM. But that's just generic "We don't know how to act around people" issues, nothing interesting.

Tell them about LONE PULSAAAR, Blank.

My memory is bad... Blank already told you all about LOOONNE PUUULSARRR!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&userid=208026#post425647519 (I'm the goonfriend who played Susan Emma Welle)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 13, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

With a mega game what happens if you get assassinated early? Are you just out of luck and have blown your entry fee?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HCFJ posted:

The elderly knight is decided as their designated groveler, as he's got the least life left to live and the most manners. He does a great job of flattering the dragon, and it descends from its perch on the obelisk and offers them each a wish, a real one with no monkey paw nonsense.

Thief blurts out "I wish I was back at the bottom of the mountain!"
*poof*
The party huddles for a moment
Battlemage: I wish all our friends were alive again
Illusionist: I wish all our bags were filled with gold
Knight: I wish I could cast all these spells
Shaman: I wish we were all back at the bottom of the mountain

Thief: . . . poo poo

DO we need some context here?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

On the bright side, it sounds like an online game so no-one has to experience the GM's house.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

chitoryu12 posted:

Because big fancy guns like 1911s and .44 Magnum revolvers and .45-70 lever-action rifles are cool.

Just make them do more damage, or some other useful perk.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

chitoryu12 posted:

The way GURPS works is that damage is basically penetration, while damage modifiers like the caliber of the bullet or anything like poison on it are applied after damage gets through the armor, cover, or any other DR.
Totally overthinking this, IMO.

If the initial damage roll gets through the DR, reroll the damage and add it on to whatever got through the DR.

Or just have weapons that don't have the special bullets do no damage at all/be healed from next round depending on how you want the combats to look, and give the monsters lower to no DR against the magic weapons.

e.g. either your 2d6+1 gun gets 5 points past DR, at which point you roll damage again and add it on, or say your Wendigo has DR 0, but just cannot be put down or significantly harmed by weapons that don't have the required coating.

You could also have something like the weapon not mattering much, if at all, but you have to know all about the monster before being able to harm it. Making some sort of mystic connection between hunter and prey.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 15, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

thespaceinvader posted:

I spotted that in the D&D Beyond item list it's hilarious.

I mean who needs it when you have Gust, but

Why should only wizards get dramatic cloaks on demand?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm not bothered about the write-ups, but , I didn't read them for two reasons - the quote box, for me, took visual precedence over the paragraph breaks, making it all read as a single block of text, and secondly they were started with zero context at all - just a sudden story dump with no context about mechanics, players, or characters.

To bring my own content to the thread, players in a Monster of the Week one-shot nicknamed Grindylows as 'Pond Chavs' or 'Loch Neds' before they had the real name for them, which amused me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

hyphz posted:

I’m pretty sure I did a bunch of stuff wrong. But I hope this puts my previous attitudes in some context..
I'd have just given them the level as a 'reward' for reaching the endgame, but I get the feeling that wouldn't wash with your group. Could also have adjusted the difficulty of the dungeon down.

Re. The ruskalla and the waterfall, dropping the water under the boat by 10' would have possibly damaged the boat with the drop, and sunk it the moment the surrounding water rushed back in, leading to everyone being in the drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When we were playing though new-Ravenloft, create Bonfire was my warlock's most useful spell.