Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashdesert
Feb 12, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I recall at least one player's character dying during opening exposition in the first game, when he mouthed off to the questgiver who was also the GM's character from an earlier game and a wacky >9000-level magic dude.

I was thinking "maybe the GM accidentally put you in a situation over your head and isn't willing to fudge the dice," until I got there. If the GM is using one of their old characters as an NPC, run as fast as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashdesert
Feb 12, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

One time, we fought skeletons that kept getting back up. We didn't figure out the trick, and we all got killed. Then the DM sulked because it should have been obvious. gently caress's sake, if the players try three or four things, let the last one work in the nick of time.

Oh my God I hate when DM's come up with puzzles/riddles with only one "obvious" solution and won't give you any leeway or let you win with a clever answer they didn't think of. Of course it's obvious to you, you came up with it, but we're not telepathic.

This reminded me of something I would think would count as a "worst experience". I once played in an AIM 3.5 game where we started out in a clearing in the middle of a forest at night. If you walked out one side you ended up back in the clearing. There were a bunch of balls of light floating around and we found out that you absorb them if you touch them, and then you can "discharge" them in a beam of light. It turned out that we were all enchanted and asleep at an inn, and we had to escape the dream. The "obvious" solution that the DM thought up was for everyone to discharge their beam at the same time upward to the sky. I stuck around for 3 hours before leaving, one of my friends who toughed it out said they ended up taking 5 hours before the DM just told them what to do.

What I learned from that evening: if the players come up with a solution that's sufficiently clever, roll with the punches.

Ashdesert
Feb 12, 2012

One Tall Fellow posted:

We played just about every Saturday night, give or take a few. :smith:

You put up with that poo poo for over A HUNDRED weeks? I would've been :suicide: after a month of having to reroll a new character every week.