Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chard posted:

I really just lurk this thread but if my vote counts, chronologically. I'd kinda like to see this party develop.

Yeah, definitely this. Please, give us all of the stories in an order that makes the most sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Amazing. I hope you find a suitably heroic situation for his death, and then Aknosk refuses it because he's not done yet.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 2, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

oriongates posted:

Ran a star wars game a while back where the PCs ran afoul of a bunch of droid fencers, they'd capture service droids off the city streets, disable them and then memory wipe them to re-sell. The PCs took the gang down and a big part of their "loot" was a small warehouse full of fresh-brained service droids (mostly pure household droids, with a couple of higher-functioning protocol or repair droids).

So the very first thing the party tech does is wire every empty cavity in the droids with explosives. In particular almost half-a-dozen mouse droids where outfitted with remote-rigged thermal detonators.

They were actually so thorough at this that at one point they realized the best approach for them to deal with a group of land-bound opponents was to fly their (barely armed) ship over them and just drop mouse-droids from the cargo bay on them, detonating them in midair.

At that point, why didn't they just drop the explosives directly? Why waste the droids?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OmanyteJackson posted:

So fist game without our dragonborn "meat and sex" cleric still went some interesting places.

so a week ago the player characters came upon a large shipment of silver, there was a werejakal bandit, you know how it goes. Anyway they take this 30lb shipment of silver and what do they decide to do with it?

Sell it. no not for this group.

Our charlton half-elf rouge and horder Earth Genasi barbarian devise a plan to corner the market on silvered weapons and manufacture a lycanthrope-based hysteria to boost demand. They already have a network of npc's from basically turning every mook they didn't kill into a hired informant and have managed to ally themselves with both major criminal organizations in the city too.Now i have one player in the discord chat researching the surface area of a scimitar and calculating the amount of silver needed to coat it. There is a very real chance they could cause a market fluctuation and boost the value of silver to ten times the value of gold. they're sapose to be assassins but it seems that entrepreneurship is a hard habit to break. they joke that this should be a thieves guild campaign and i kind of wish it was now. God drat DnD is amazing.

It's an interesting idea, given that their haul wasn't all that huge. This gives us 50gp/lb of silver, which turns into effectively 1500gp. Assuming that the coins are up to 10% debased, that still gives us a reasonable starting point for running this gimmick fresh. Of course, it's rather expensive to make metal leafing, when all you have is medieval tools (unless you've got a mage willing to do some precision work). Then, there's the cost to have smiths apply it, the hush money to make sure that they don't blab about where the glut is coming from, etc etc etc...

Even if they hadn't come across that pile of silver, the low cost to get into this game makes this a pretty clever plot.

Edit: Turns out making silver leaf is kind of a pain compared to making gold leaf, too, so I suspect that blacksmiths are either going to be using more silver than you expect, or they're going to charge more than you would rather they did. Given https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Silvered_Weapons, where silvering a weapon costs 100gp, I'm starting to wonder how practical this scheme is. Even if you pay a bulk discount, you're really relying on that change in the market prices, in which case I wonder if it'd just be cheaper to hang on to the silver and sell it to people directly.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 29, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lunatic Sledge posted:

"I haven't been running these games the way they happened. I've been running them the way your characters remember them."

:aaaaa:

This is a magnificent plot hook.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

kaffo posted:

I present to you:
Elendor Godender Part 2: The Revenge of the Burning Bookshop

Next time:
Elendor finds out he's actually not useless without any magicka!

This is magnificently terrible, keep the stories coming.

Bubblyblubber posted:

I even modeled dobster to 3d print him in all his retarded glory.

All hail dobster, he of the sideways shuffle because his lobster legs are longer than his dog legs.

Beautiful.

For content, in one of my campaigns one of our characters has a pocket paradise that we've been (ab)using for escaping in the middle of hard fights, safely resting, etc. For historical reasons which I don't remember, the paradise is actually a paradise for one of the party's throw away beetle mounts, which we of course kept forever. It was Beetle Heaven, as we called it. My understanding was that it was heaven for ALL beetles, where Good Beetles would go when they died to frolic with other beetles and enjoy tasty things and whatever it is beetles do for fun. So, creepy and gross and filled to the loving brim with beetles, but otherwise harmless.

Sadly, the DM clarified that it was in fact only a paradise for OUR mount, and that there are no other beetles there. Still weird, but not "the floor is bugs" weird. I cannot describe how disappointed I am to learn this, especially since I was the only one to misunderstand this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Much like the Emperor, the care-a-lot meter has been at zero for millennia, but the collective disbelief of the care bears continues to sustain them. Should they ever truly realize that nobody actually gives a gently caress, the results would be apocalyptic.

I would love to hear a trip report of this game.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:murder:

No RPG is better than that RPG

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: nevermind, did a search.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 1, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

call center manager posted:

Then, the elemental spins of four smaller elementals. It's then that my eyes light up in delight and I ask the DM: "permission to call these four little turds the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turdlets." DM allows it, everyone is already a bit tipsy and laughing. One of our companions, an evil halfling wizard, then asks: "and how bout the big one?". In the heat of the moment, without pause, I blurt out "that's Master Sphincter." The halfling had the laughing fits for so long he actually took windpipe damage.

See that's how cutting insult works though.

But more appropriately

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

call center manager posted:

dare you enter my magical realm 

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I legit don't know if this is good or bad because it was an ending appropriate to my character or because I destroyed the boss fight.

We're playing 4eD&D (7th level currently) and our current job is recovering a captured fishery from crabmen. Turns out an evil god of the deep wasn't fond of the fishery's success and had its minions murder everyone in there and cook them like seafood. We'd been there days, slowly going through building after building, fighting crabmen and demons. Our wizard almost died to malaria.

I play Emi'li, a half-elf wild-sorc-turned-magical-girl, whose parents sold her soul to an Elder Thing. Problem: Emi'li is relentlessly, horribly lawful good and fights for Love and Friendship despite being accompanied by an eldritch horror (she calls it Kitty) that eats corpses. All of her magic makes people hear whispers of impending doom and the visual effects have too many tentacles and teeth. And glitter. Lots of glitter. She's not a very bright kid but she's really friendly.

We've spent most of our dailies in the previous fight.The rogue nearly died. We enter the final room where a massive chuul with an ioun stone has killed the fishery owner and is summoning an army of crabmen with the aid of several demons. This will be a slog.

Me: I roll to see what the chuul wants. 20.
GM: The chuul wants vengeance and the end to fishing in the bay. He's also dumber than Emi'li.
Me: gently caress it. Anyone mind if I negotiate?
I roll. Another loving 20. But these are evil beings - they won't really listen to her. Fine then.

While Emi'li is giving a passionate speech about working together despite our differences and that summoning an army would lead to mutual destruction, the outline of her magical patron is growing behind her, filling the room with shivering, purple light and holes in reality. Emi'li sincerely wants the chuul and the crabmen to be happy! As does the massive multi-eyed woman made of stars who knows how even demons can truly die. At the end, Kitty coughs up a skull.

GM: The chuul shuts down the portal and agrees to peace talks - only to be flash-fried by its evil god for the betrayal.

Emi'li makes the new fishery owners bury the chuul and give it a nice memorial.

It sounds like an awesome and fun result therefore it is good

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So did you have to make a deception roll to slip her the tongue or

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

When you say "'fantasy vietnam' style of GMing" do you mean that he wants you to develop PTSD and be spit upon by your fellow RPGers when you tell them about it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Radio Free Kobold posted:

My saturday game has got a fat neckbeard (with dyed hair and everything) playing a female catgirl who's already tried to seduce something twice and i can't help but feel like i'm hovering right on the precipice of one of Those stories

:justpost:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Incompetent intrigue best intrigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002