Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Vanguard Warden posted:

So I was in an FFG Star Wars game awhile back.

Man, I adore the FFG Star Wars system and I've never had any cool experiences like these or, even better, DivineCoffeeBinge's stories of old from his SW Saga game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OmanyteJackson posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice and most importantly, the reality check. I sent her a message telling her she's been kicked from the game after kicking her from the discord. Not going to bother with warnings or anything because I doubt telling somone "be less of a creep" would lead to an improvement, also not my job to teach social edicit around strangers

As much as I want to congratulate you on learning a lesson in group management, I also really wish this would have just kept on playing out because this thread has had a chronic lack of entertaining cat-piss stories lately.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OmanyteJackson posted:

God drat DnD is amazing.

Glad you're having fun and all but none of that story is something that is unique to Dungeons & Dragons.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Perestroika posted:

The party wasn't so lucky, as the hull integrity failed just moments later and they were sucked out into empty space. The last thing they noticed was Karin making a grab for a gun before they lost consciousness, which was where the session ended because our GM is a cruel god. :allears:

Please tell me this wasn't the end of your Battletech campaign, because these stories are pretty great (and it's really rare to hear anyone actually talking about actually playing A Time of War).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Who the gently caress would even consent to play in a game like that

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

cigaw posted:

Apparently, this guy:

You can read his bio ! Or check out his family's genealogy!

The most recent gaming group info is Sep 2017: https://www.robsworld.org/players.html

There’s gotta be a goon near this guy who is willing to join his “waiting list”.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Foolster41 posted:

Not be a RPG hipster or anything, but XP is kinda an outdated system, and things like the problems with training is just a symptom of how bad/cumbersome it is. :smugbert:
I really like the 13th age (and other systems probibly do it too) system of you just level every 4-5 sessions, with an expectation of a harder "boss battle" at the end of an arc.

Even D&D 5e has this now. It's been ages since I've read the PHB, but it might even be recommended as the standard way of awarding XP rather than chalking up XP per encounter. Either way, it's definitely presented as a possibility and one of a few alternatives.

I like how Apocalypse World does XP though. It feels unique and rewards you developing your character in ways you might not have otherwise considered.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

thetoughestbean posted:

My notable gaming experience:

Once, in a 13th Age session, the party argued for ten minutes on how to infiltrate a warehouse that we thought was filled with cultists. Ultimately, I got fed up and had my paladin nonchalantly walk up and knock on the door.

The door was unlocked and the warehouse was empty.

At that point, if I were GM'ing, I'd have just... given them some cultists. Or something to make those 10 minutes of real-life debate actually narratively worth their time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

3d6 for life

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I feel like the thread has had basically zero catpiss in months.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Campaign writeups are cool and good, but I skip over pretty much all of them unless they're about DivineCoffeeBinge's old Star Wars game.

It's great when people have campaigns that are just consistently good and the group feels together and has interesting stories to tell, but when that evolves into something barely distinguishable from "here's a narrative recap of my group's weekly game" that the whole point of it being a Notable Gaming Experience sorta fades.

I dont mind seeing them in this thread though as they're just as easily ignored, but I think exposure of good campaign log stories might be better in a dedicated thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Raid Shadow Legends got to your DM first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I do agree that this thread needs more catpiss stories in general, but... y'know, stories that people actually experienced and not just reposting heinous takes from chuds on Reddit.