Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
That's cool. :) Some people really like that style and other people don't, but as long as everyone's on the same page then it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

InfiniteJesters posted:

Now that's what I call soul food! :haw:
Is it bad that this is the first thing I thought?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Congrats, your character was literally :psydwarf:. What's really amusing is that I could totally understand your character's actions, it's just a lot of those Things We Usually Ignore so the game can progress.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The Adventures of Dwarf Quixote would be an awesome game to play in/run.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
D&D has rear end for mass combat rules but if my players (or myself as a player) ever build up a huge army, I usually just ask for a rundown of tactics, figure out base stats for the average combatant on either side, and roll like 10d20+mods with some dice roller and line up the results. Each die is 10% of the force and is for a day of fighting. If one side outnumbers the other I usually throw in a bonus for the side with bigger numbers, and poo poo like terrain, clever tactics, etc. all net bonuses/penalties for the sides. It usually works out pretty well, and helps easily determine how many of your 500 skeletons with +4 strength, +1d6 cold damage claws, +2 natural armor, and on-death explosion (corpsecrafter feats are so good) have actually been slain, and how much resistance remains.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Really Pants posted:

Whoever that someone is, I already hate them and wish them ill.
As do I. Holy poo poo, you do not bring a completely new to RPGs player into a pbp. Furthermore, it's a pbp; you have ample time to to read a player's action, go grab a book, read the rules on it, comprehend it, and post accordingly. I could understand not catching stuff like that in a live game, but pbp? gently caress that.

Secondly, that guy's a double rear end in a top hat for both bring a total newbie into a pbp and acting like such a douchebag because his friend's character got bloodied. It's D&D, if half or more of the party isn't bloodied at some point during a fight, you're doing it wrong.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Remember all that poo poo I said we were doing in the Throne Room? Yeah. While we're doing all that we can see out the windows that the sky is on fire.
This is the most badass thing ever and I want to go back in time and make Lucas use your game's script for Star Wars.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Axelgear posted:

Obliesse was no named because we had a packet of vanilla wafers as a snack for this particular table session

Gnomenclature, a gnome ninja

The Dragonborn took a liking to the badger, named him Ralph, and bought him a badger-sized set of bagpipes.

That was pretty much their second adventure. Already, it'd devolved into murder, alcoholism, and forcing badgers to play the bagpipes. It got stranger from there
D&D in a nutshell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Axelgear posted:

the story of the psychic mermaid with a shop-vac.
If you are not currently typing this up then you are doing something wrong.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Liesmith posted:

Nobody's saying it's good GMing, I'm just saying that it's terrible play on Smug Sociopath's part and really reflects poorly on him. He had a lot of options, from walking away from a terrible game, to trying to be a good player and maybe turn the GM around, to just acting like a huge passive aggressive jerk who decides that if the GM is gonna be bad, then there's no reason for him to treat anyone at the table with respect. And his buddy is worse since he'd been planning to gently caress with this game since character creation.
Sometimes the only way to break a bad GM's bad GMing is to out-douchebag them from the other side. I've never seen a GM like Smug's go "oh, no one wants to play with me, it must be that I'm a cockbag and I need to learn how to be a better player." No. It's always "no one wants to play with me? well it must be that they can't handle my genius."

They were attempting a turnabout-is-fair-play lesson and they failed. It was notably bad and that's what this thread is for.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Liesmith posted:

I disagree. I mean, yeah, just sitting passively in hopes that their lovely GM grows up is a schoolboy nerd error, but turning around and saying "well this guy sucks, so we will be dicks first"
But they weren't dicks first. He fired the initial salvo with "hey guys I'm gonna literally crucify your characters by the end of the first session, heh :smug:" and also made full notice that this was going to be a GM-vs-PCs game. So they accepted and took on the fight. When the GM couldn't even make the game interesting and had to resort to disappearing invisible mummies, they quit.

I've been in some adversarial GM games that have been fun, and they were fun because the GM started off with "I'm gonna throw poo poo at you that you have maybe a 1:100 chance of winning and you're gonna try to avoid the bottom 99 of that range." The GM did what he said, we made our characters as absurd as possible, and poo poo was hilarious for both sides. It's like the bizzaro world version of Smug's story, but it is possible if the GM isn't a fuckhead (or at least isn't a boring fuckhead).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Rods/Wands of Wonder are usually (not always but most of the time) an indicator of a lovely DM. They can be fun and entertaining and even useful, but more often than not it's just a way for the DM to say "I made a wacky table that no one but me gets to look at! You should roll on it to see what zany thing happens next!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Rods of Wonder aren't universally a terrible idea, it's just that it's a yellow light when one shows up. Last time I ran a D&D game I put a Rod of Wonder in as an artifact, but about 90% of the effects were either "this hurts the thing you point it at" or "this helps you, the wielder, in some way". An 01 on the d% was "roll again, whatever you roll hits everyone within 100 feet" and an 00 was "pick something from the list, it hits whoever you want" and there was nothing really massive in it; no instant death or granting of wishes, but the odds were good that if you're using it that whatever happened was worth the action spent on it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Swags posted:

Also, just tell him, in character, that next time he targets you with an attack, you're going to kill him.
This will do nothing positive, it will only reinforce him and probably end with the rogue pulling a coup-de-grace the next time your character is asleep. Instead tell him out of character that the next time he pulls any sort of antagonistic bullshit, he's uninvited to everything. D&D, movie night, drinks at the bar, everything. He'll either shape up fast or you'll be down one rear end in a top hat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

evol262 posted:

I suppose that telling someone "I'm upset with what your make-believe character did, so I'm cutting you out of my life, and uninviting you from anything you might share with our social circle" just might put someone on the defensive. "I'm uninviting you" doesn't really qualify as non-confrontational.
The problem is that his make-believe character is controlled directly by not-make-believe him, and he is being a wanton fuckhead through his character. There is no real distinction to be made between him and his character, because the actions of one = the actions of the other. The only people who try to draw such a broad line between the two are the "but that's what my character would do!" assholes who never make the game more fun for anyone; this is because it's not fun to have a guy be an rear end in a top hat to you, whether it's being a "make believe" rear end in a top hat or a "real world" rear end in a top hat. The result is still rear end in a top hat behavior.

Here's how the exchange should go, assuming he's not being a prick intentionally:
:coal:: Hey, could you kindly stop being a loot vacuum? It's killing the game because you try to take literally everything, up to and including things obviously meant for others.
:kiddo:: I had no idea, also I am bad at recognizing lovely actions! I will pay attention and stop trying to loot like I'm playing solo.

Here's assuming he is a prick:
:coal:: Hey, could you kindly stop being a loot vacuum? It's killing the game because you try to take literally everything, up to and including things obviously meant for others.
:byodood:: No! I deserve to have all the things because I'm friends with the DM!
:coal:: Look, here's the deal. You either knock it off and let others have a fair share in this game, or you don't play. And if you can't handle playing a team game like an adult, then we have no reason to interact at all.
:byodood:: Well if I go, I'm taking the DM with me!
:coal:: If he would rather play with you than us, fine. We have other options.

tl;dr: Not gaming at all is better than gaming with assholes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ That is really cool.

The reason they blow is that they take story control away from both the GM and the players and turn it over to polyhedral chunks of plastic, which do not care whether you're having fun or not. I wouldn't say that's always a bad thing - some groups, in some games, thrive on that kind of chaos - but they're definitely a thing to think very long and hard about putting into your game.

Also, does anyone else remember the tricks you could do with random-result items in 2nd Edition AD&D with a Wild Mage? There were things called Bracers of Brandishing that, when used with a wand, made the wand burn through 1d10-5 charges per use (so you could actually spend -4 charges and thus gain 4 charges). Wild Mages had a chance to choose the "random" result on a randomized-result item... so give them a wand of wonder and the aforementioned bracers and they could be tossing fireballs out of that wand all day every day and gaining charges as they went. God, it was broken.

I actually had a player (playing an artificer) who got the rod of wonder and actually spent part of his item creation pool to get new abilities related to it. I was so chuffed that he liked it that much that I didn't charge him much, and let him get abilities like "roll twice, take the better" and "burn infusions to use effects you've seen before".

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 22, 2012

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah never try to kill the newbie's character, and never set him up to die. You should have just said "hey instead of being an elf, be a drow, they're pretty much the same thing and my character won't want to kill yours!" Then instead of extra stats you could just drop the LA (also LA is terrible).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah I don't know a single (good) DM who used either table from the book, especially not the Deck of Many Destroyed Games. Usually the DM in question makes their own table based on the theme, tone, and mood of the game intended.

I am so stealing the pouch of many things.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Edit: Something I was wondering. Has anyone really had a long term evil game work out well? I found them fun as one shots or small games, but long games always devolve into full on party conflict. Of course it didn't help my gaming group back in the day wasn't the best. I should have realized how much of a pain one player would be when he insisted he his druids name be "Lord DukeKing Numbnuts".
I had a 3.5e game that was going really well, we had played about 6ish sessions when the DM just disappeared. We were all some kind of undead, I was playing a lesser vampire warlock that was bound to the archdevil of the first layer. I forget what else we had, but we all got along because our goals coincided to some degree (or at least didn't conflict) and hey, safety in numbers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
52. Goggles of Detect Air (everything not glowing is not air)

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2012

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Basically the best way to have an evil party is to pretend you're planning for a Vampire (masquerade or requiem) game, with the only difference being that the PCs won't burn in sunlight.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wahad posted:

14. Carebear

Roll a d6. If the number is even, gain a +2 bonus to Speed (Spring in your Step) until the day is over. If the number is odd, gain a +2 bonus to Charisma (Care-bear Smile) until the day is over.
15. Lost Your Bearings

All your skill rolls to intuit directions automatically fail for the rest of the day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

homullus posted:

#bear. Bear Bear Bear

Bear bear bare-pun bear bear barely-pun beared bearbear bear bear bears bearbearbearbearbear.
Cub your enthusiasm.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah kids are pretty much born sociopaths who eventually (usually) lose most of their monstrous evil as they age.

Also, what's really disgusting is that according to the books, using magic and/or brainwashing to turn someone good actually IS a [Good] act. There's even a spell that imprisons a non-good being for a year and basically beats a Good alignment into them.

Death to Alignment.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ImpactVector posted:

And then I get this in my email last night:

:doh: Seriously dude? I haven't seen this much railroady bullshit since high school. We're all adults now who can come up with our own reasons to be interested in whatever plot you've got going. You don't have to go cutting pieces off our characters.

At this point mostly I'm just hoping I was an outlier and he didn't deprotagonize the rest of the group too much since they're all still pretty new to the hobby.
Tell him this. Some people just don't know any better than to railroad, even when they've been in better games. Help him figure out how to make interesting plot hooks without forcing people into them. Dude sounds like he's one of those "but what if they do something I don't plan for?! :qq:" kind of DMs. It's a habit that is breakable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

players who get upset when they're character gets uglied up instead of finding it amusing are annoying, as they tend to be the types who get more pleasure from living vicariously through their Mary Sue avatar than from actual roleplaying.
Conversely, GMs who feel they have to gently caress over their players' characters with no possible chance of recourse are just as annoying, since they're usually the GMs who get more pleasure from making GBS threads in someone's oatmeal than from actual roleplaying.

Like most things that involve >1 person, roleplaying involves an agreement, spoken or unspoken, to the effect of "we will discuss to some degree what's going to happen and if one of us objects to it, we'll figure something else out." The GM shouldn't just fiat something horrible happening to the PC, and the player should roll with the punches if something critical does happen in the course of playing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Losing an ear to a campaign arch-villain who goes by "The Mangler" really doesn't qualify as "loving over a PC". I mean, the guy could turn it into a secondary objective to find a magical healer who can restore his ear, or at least attach a convincing prosthetic. Likewise the player could turn it to his advantage, lobbying for a bonus to Bluff as he tries to impress a prospective employer with tales of That Time He Got His Ear Ripped Off While Slaying A Giant In Single Combat. I mean, being lovely to PC's for no reason and impeding on the way they want to play the game is one thing, but it's not like his character's background was that he was a handsome master of seduction who relied on his looks. "My character :qq:" can really kill the fun of roleplaying sometimes.
It's still a dickbag thing to do, to say "hey your character? I'm gonna do poo poo to him without your consult or consent." There's a huge difference between "This happens to your character without even the illusion of having a chance to avoid it because I say so" and "Hey, what do you think about having this happen to your character?" or even "I wanna run a pre-game session with your character regarding a point in your history" and then having that poo poo happen. With the last, the DM can still force the issue but can still maintain that possibility of a different outcome through the rolling of dice and allowing that small chance of a nat 20 or lucky crit or just clever tactics of the PC. I would definitely play with the latter two DMs; I would likely not play with the first.

tl;dr: it's not about "my character :qq:" as much as it's a matter of mutual respect.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just because a DM does not run a campaign in the way you think is ideal does not mean it is automatically a big deal, unless you decide to make it a big deal. A Thing Happened to the character, sure it was a little unfair and shows a bit of DM inexperience, but it's not like the DM stole his agency and said "you are furious and follow him to his hideout and on the way you kill someone and are now wanted for murder".
I don't think you actually read what is DM sent him. It was pretty much all "you do this, you think that." You're so close to getting my point, too, and then you swerve hard to dodge it: it was a little unfair and shows a bit of DM inexperience, and as such he should say "hey this sort of thing isn't cool because <reasons stated> and how about <alternates given> instead of railroady bullshit?"

Just because it's "not the end of the world" doesn't mean he shouldn't say something. You don't get someone to improve by not telling them what to stop/change.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

It looks like the Emperor was killed but the Death Star never got blowed up. And now it's coming to say hello.

...me, I say we steal it.
Probably gonna reiterate this every time you post about this game, but goddrat this is how the movies should have been.

So what's going on with the Annihilraper-class ship underneath the palace that I forget the name of? Weren't you gonna try to steal that too?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Androc posted:

which probably doesn't TECHNICALLY work
No such thing in Mage, also this is incredibly awesome.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Beardless posted:

I honestly thought that when you said that Endor had gone very differently and a mysterious Dark Jedi showed up that you would be fighting Darth Luke.
"Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"
"Yeah okay, sounds like fun on a bun. *keeps hand*"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hah, you wish.

"Hold out your arm."
"What, why- AAAAAGH"
"The Skywalker Coming Of Age ritual. Now you are a man."

And thus, a much better scene was written.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Any GM that says "it's not my job to give you things you want" or any variation thereof is going to be a lovely GM, since it's obvious that they don't want to run a game so much as tell you their poorly written story and have you fill in the dialogue.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Triangulum posted:

While it does take a standard action for the cleric, so does having your caster or melee characters pop a potion. In my mind it's more efficient to keep waste your turn healing a player with a high damage output than have them waste their turn by eating a healing pot.
It's even more efficient for everyone to save the drinks for after the fight and have everyone throw damage* at the opponent. There's not a single time when healing someone in combat is a better idea than just trying to kill whatever's making that person need healing.

*damage being "things what kill your enemies" which of course becomes trivial for primary casters after about level 7.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Triangulum posted:

Granted, I've only been playing for a couple of years so it's very possible someone will point me to some maths that totally contradicts that and if so, cool it's time to rethink cleric strategies for me v:shobon:v
To be short, that horse has been beaten, reanimated, beaten again, its necrotized flesh & bones made into a golem, and then beaten once more. The easiest argument to summarize is that all those healing spells have a direct mirror opposite that do damage and all the feats that boost healing also have a counterpart that boosts damage. There's also a lot of spells that just flat out do more damage, as well as spells that gently caress over your enemies' turns so they do less/no damage. Ounce of prevention, etc.

If you cast a spell and heal someone, you've bought one person one turn, maybe. If you cast a spell and stun the attacker for a turn, you've bought everyone a turn definitely. Which is the better action?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Captain Rufus posted:

A few minutes later I get yet one more email:

Observing Battletech...
...is probationary, and if my players don't think it's a good idea having you around then I will inform you of that. But I'm giving you a chance to see how Battletech should really be played, for the story and fun, and not the number crunching of how perfect a unit is. One of my players doesn't want me inviting you to observe us, he thinks all you'll do is cause problems and issues.

Ahahaha, this guy has hilarious control issues on top of being a sperglord. If someone told me I was a probationary member of their circle of friends I'd tell them to suck the fattest part of my rear end in a top hat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I hope someone said "good job, murderer. You killed them all with one spell!" because really, pacifist characters are only good for heckling in D&D.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Isn't ork breeding basically pollination?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Beardless posted:

IT isn't a tabletop game, but this past weekend I was introduced to Arkham Horror by my uncle, who. I was having fun, and in the second game we played my character had an item that allowed me to rack up something crazy like 18 or 20 sanity by the time that the Elder One showed up. Unfortunately, the Elder one in particular was Nyalathotep, and if your character doesn't have any clue tokens he devours you right off the bat. So while my character didn't go insane at the sight of the unnatural horror from beyond time and space, it didn't do him much good. It's a wicked fun game.
FYI you can't go higher than your max sanity in sanity points. Same for health. Arkham Horror is a drat fine game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Arkham Horror's rules are poorly organized and there's a lot to keep track of. It's pretty normal to get something like this wrong.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Everyone houserules Arkham Horror, whether they know it or not.
Both of these are very true. Me and my friends houserule the poo poo out of it, the most common one being the "unanimous call of shenanigans means one do-over." Usually invoked when someone rolls 12 dice and gets no successes, or when we get a really loving terrible rumor for the first mythos card.

A question: Does anyone know what the hell "activity at: <locale>" means? As far as I can tell, it just means putting a glowy number token on a place, but does it do anything?