Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Mornacale posted:

Nope, it's specifically the hyperdrives that are programmed to cut out if a ship is getting too close to a gravity well.

Of course, looking at Star Wars as anything but Space Fantasy Western is just asking for trouble. We're talking about a galaxy where technology has been basically stagnant for a thousand years or something, so I guess I can believe that nobody really knows how to reprogram a hyperdrive.

i think this is even contradicted. There was an issue in the Han Solo Corellian trilogy where they had to deal with a sector wide gravity well that was preventing ships from jumping into the inner system (and sublight would take years)

The bakurans came to help and had a technology that used a series of microjumps through the gravity well to make it through the interdiction field. The problem was the hyperdrives were designed to essentially burn through a series of fuses as the physical process put huge strain on the ship and it's engines (the trip was described as extremely uncomfortable for passengers as well)

This could probably be retconned by saying most hyperdrives have safety measures set so you come out of hyperspace well away from gravity wells, removing safeties allows you to jump all the way up to (and slightly into) those wells, but the suggestion is that the gravity well itself will pull you out of hyperspace no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU