Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nothingxs
Sep 7, 2005

Do as you like. It's not my job to kill you.
So my DM friend, who got tired of playing Neverwinter Encounters (because they weren't satisfying enough, really) tried running his own spin of Neverwinter at an open table in the local gaming store.

Here is how it panned out.

quote:

Lord Neverember, Open Lord of Waterdeep, self proclaimed protector of Neverwinter, and a sophisticated rear end in a top hat who sits on top of a mountain gold, invites the player to his hall to speak of unrest emerging from a nearby Orc tribe. He amuses the players with a hospitality that is normally reserved for far more dignified guests such as Kings and Queens. The players are treated to rare and tasteful delicacies and fine spirits of foreign lands, tobacco of the richest flavors, and the entertainment of musicians that lingered in the heart and lifted the spirits days on after they were heard.

As the time passed and all players were comfortable, seeing that his company was pleased, Lord Neverwinter began to speak...

:wotwot: “Friends of Neverwinter, I am pleased that you are enjoying my humble hospitality, yet I must confess I brought you here for a purpose. Events have recently transpired that disrupt the delicate balance of Neverwinter and with that the protection of this city that I am...”

Enter the rear end in a top hat Bard.

:smug:: “What are you protecting!? This city is falling apart and you don’t do anything but sit in comfort while the city suffers. Who do you think you are you vagrant!?”

:psyduck:

The guard stands at attention at the Winged Wyvern Bridge. In his time employed by Lord Neverember the guard has attempted follow through with his duty enamored with the vision Lord Neverember holds of attempting to return the city back to its former glory.

The players approach the bridge.

:cop:: “Halt! None are allowed to cross this bridge without paying the toll.”

The party contemplates paying the toll and after a while one of the players politely objects, questioning to the toll, bringing up the fact that they were hired by Neverember, after all.

:cop:: “Although perhaps unreasonable, the toll goes to help the...”

Enter the rear end in a top hat Bard.

:smug:: “You’re retarded or rather incompetent if you think I shall pay the toll! Why should I be tarried to pay a toll to the horrible likes of you? I am delivered unto you by Lord Neverember! You are daft if you believe I shall pay, daft I say!”

:psyduck:

The Bard finds himself standing on the opposite side of a great door that leads into the Chasm. A section of the city, blockaded from the rest, plagued by monstrous creatures known to be spell-scarred who derive pleasure in killing anything and everything. As the Bard looks on group of these foul creatures hurl them-selves towards him.

DM :what:: “What do you plan on doing? The beasts are coming straight for you.”

AB :smug:: “Are the guards readying themselves?”

Note: The wall stands around him for a great distance to his left and his right, just a moment ago he had been on the other side and the guards (particularly the Guard from the previous story) backhanded him and had his companions toss him onto the side of the wall (the side he is currently in) and closed the massive wooden doors behind him.

:what:: “Um, no you don’t suspect the guards are readying themselves. So, what do you do?”

:smug:: “I will wait till they are out twenty-five feet from me. Do the guards notice the beasts?”

:what:: “You hear a call to arms issue forth from above you, but quickly the call is muffled.”

:smug:: ”Okay! When the beasts near the twenty-five foot mark I cast light on top of the monsters so the guards can see them and launch a volley!”

:what:: ...

:smug:: “Are the guards shooting?”

:what:: “No... and the creatures are quickly approaching. You notice you don’t have much time left before they are on top of you -- what do you do?

:smug:: ”I wait till the guards fire off a volley.”

Initiative roll, the monsters go first. The Bard gets absolutely destroyed within seconds.

:wth:: ”Wait… why didn’t the guards fire off a volley?”

:eng99:: :doh: “So… who wants to play Chutes and Ladders?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nothingxs
Sep 7, 2005

Do as you like. It's not my job to kill you.
So I'm doing M:TG prerelease down at a local game & comic shop here in Miami, and on Sunday a bunch of people are here ready to go for a small side event. There's a bunch of people here and we're totally ready to play, and a group of dudes are there but one of their friends can't play. No biggie, I'll be a nice guy and sponsor him so he can play while we're there, and just keep the guildpack afterwards -- if he makes prize support, we agree he can keep half of the stuff. He's down for this, and so he gets an Izzet pack while I get Selesnya.

Somewhere after round two, he decides to drop and leaves me the box of stuff; apparently he has to hurry home. I don't think too much of it, but I peek through the box and inside is his DCI card, and the cards from the packs -- except it's missing most of the rares and the Izzet promo dragon. He's just left with one of his friends.

I go outside with a friend of mine (who is convinced he is stealing -- I am all benefit-of-the-doubt-ing here), since he is still in his car, to ask him to make sure he didn't accidentally mix my cards with his. He's in the car with one of his buddies driving.

They peel out of the parking lot and dip.

(I am smart enough to remember the license plate number.)

It gets more amusing from here on: I knew what he cracked, and it wasn't very good, but one of the guys I'm friends with at the store insists he's just knowingly stolen from me. I help out at this particular game store, so I have access to his DCI information, which he has just filled out, and I've confirmed is accurate (so I have his home address + phone). Really, why you would be a thief and leave this much of a paper trail is beyond me, so I think it's a mistake, still. One of his friends calls him to "ask him" if he forgot the stuff. Eventually one of the friends comes back and gives me the cards that were taken, and I think everything's over with, but the best part is that apparently one of the dudes is on the phone with him and he asks to talk to me real quick.

I'm like, oh, sure, I guess he's gonna apologize. Not gonna give him THAT hard of a time (seriously, I don't care that much).

THE DUDE™: "If [I don't catch this part; something about telling someone about cards?], I'll kick your rear end!" *click*
Me: :what:

I relate this to the guy who I about to start my third match against, a police officer. The game store is across the street from a police station. I've got the dude's license plate number, his home address, his name and telephone number. Found him on Facebook, so we have a picture to post up at the store, too.

Needless to say, that guy's banned as hell from the store. The funniest part is that I remember seeing him here at FIU quite a few times. I work for FIU. This will be fun! :cheers:

(As for the actual game part, I went 4-1 but legit lost the first game to la niña, and this wound up meaning that I did not make top 4 because she pushed me out. On the flip side, she cracked Rakdos, Dreadbore and Mizzium Mortars, all of which I needed. And she played Izzet, colors which from the very beginning she stated, "gently caress, I HATE blue and red!" -- so it was funny as poo poo.)