Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

When I hear adversarial GM'ing though, I take that to mean a GM who isn't worried about the rest of the group having fun, only caring that s/he "wins", either by TPK or by thwarting any attempts the group makes to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hell, I'd turn it into a character hook. Make it so the cat was actually a Wizard familiar. Maybe the Blacksmith for some reason decided to pick up a spellbook and had just gotten the cat. Now he's going to want revenge.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know practically nothing of Shadowrun, but I know an epic story when I read one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Writer Cath posted:

I did this and proceeded to have some of the best rolls ever.

The low level wizard broke into the house that the PCs broke into were borrowing for the evening.

The bard wakes up with is bed on fire.

He rolls out of bed, somehow loses initiative and is hit with the Sleep spell. Because he was groggy, we house ruled it so that he was asleep.

The meditating paladin downstairs didn't near it. The ninja sleeping down the hall failed her Perception.

Level 2 wizard proceeds to stomp the crap out of the bard that killed his cat, then flipped the flaming mattress over on top of him, which thanks to a series of terrific die rolls on my part, set the house on fire. Eventually that got the rest of the party's attention.

Hahaha, Good, Good.
That's beautiful and amazing and look forward to hearing more.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In my first campaign, I was playing in a hybrid mashup of 1st and 2nd editions that the DM had put together.
I was playing a human Fighter, and around this point, I think I was around 4th or 5th level.

We're exploring an old keep, and we come across a beaded curtain with an enchantment on it. We figure out that you have to make a strength check in order to pass through, and if you fail, you take some token amount of damage.

Basically, we each rolled a d6, and our Strength score determined the minimum that we had to roll to pass our check.
My Fighter, with jacked up strength, needed to roll higher than a 2 on a d6 to pass through.

I failed. Repeatedly. And when I say repeatedly, I mean that I went from full HP, to almost zero.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think it was in the previous thread, back when Good and Cat-piss were separate threads, someone mentioned an evil character concept I liked:

The character was a decent person, friendly, helpful, but if you wronged him, he would do everything he could to utterly destroy you, even if it were a trivial thing that was done to him.

Which doesn't sound as good when I type it, but I remember the original post being better worded about it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Samizdata posted:

Which also kind of strikes me as antithetical to being a druid, so there's that too.

Not necessarily. You could be one of those "Humans/civilization are antithetical to the natural order, and must be purged." flavors of druid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seriously, sounds like some good storytelling potential there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Years ago, I had a supervisor who I had somehow turned on to Magic. I can't remember how, but he was curious to try it.
I picked up two starter decks, and we'd play against each other with just those. No boosters, no "I brought my Zendikar Vampire deck just to show how good I was."
Just a couple Mirrodin Besieged starters.

It was fun because the decks were even-ish, which meant he had a chance to actually learn how to play and figure combos out for himself.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Commoners posted:

I also have a story about the RUSSIAN SPACE MARINES if you guys thought this one was fun. :ussr:

Catpiss Thread 2: Just Post

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Probably because "raped by goats" is just utterly random and hilarious to him, right up there with any combination of monkey, cheese, or weasel.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ibntumart posted:

This thread is dangerously close to rekindling my passion for wargaming. Though not 40K (Warmaster is still cool, though).

Hell, I can barely get through a game of HeroClix without looking like a moron. There's no way I'd be able to play a real wargame.

Railing Kill posted:

Then again, I have some horror stories as a player of other GMs turning games into, "Hey, look at what my old PC can do when I can give him as much XP as I want?" One of those games ended with a player standing up and walking out in the middle of a combat round. Social niceties are the only reason I wasn't right there behind him out the door.

There's a guy who used to DM 4e at a shop a few years ago who would do threaten to drop his PC on us all the time.
"If you bunch of level 2 characters start getting out of hand, my character will show up to put you down. He's got 20 levels each in Fighter/Rogue/Ninja/Wizard/Cleric, is a demigod, and the Right Hand of Kord."

the_steve fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 23, 2014

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Because that's not nearly as cool, obviously.
Sure, rocks could fall, OR Sir Awesome (I don't actually know the character's name) can show up, and much like a cat with a quadriplegic mouse, can show us his entire badass power suite and haha guys, isn't my character so cool, check out THIS thing he can do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Bee posted:

I don't think he knows how 4E works if he has that kind of setup.

It was his 3.5 character from a previous campaign he had played in. I guess he was just so awesome and powerful that the reality of 4e just had to adapt to him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JustJeff88 posted:

It probably wasn't set in FR, but I don't care overly much for 4th edition, and I especially didn't care for the FR transition to 4th edition and the painfully bad novels and canon that came out of that.

Now I know you're not talking about the Swordmage novels. The Blades of the Moonsea trilogy kicked rear end and I'll not hear otherwise :colbert:

As for Elminster, pretty much, yeah. His tenure in 4e was pretty much spent being powerless, bitching about how everybody was stupid except for himself and Storm, being a pile of dust (except when his spirit was riding shotgun in the body of his female descendant), playing Benny Hill in Cormyr's absolutely ridiculous amount of secret passages, and then getting re-powered because Mystra reasons just in time to stick it to the Shades.

He got de-powered, but that's relative, because he's still the most powerful Wizard to be a Wizard in the setting whenever he needs to be, he just isn't as strong as he was in previous editions (But hell, that's a fairly common trope in fantasy anyways, isn't it? The previous generations of wizards were infinitely stronger and better at magic than their modern counterparts, but those secrets have been lost.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Night10194 posted:

How do you set up magic bear Goddess and not realize you've achieved your peak and should run with it?

Presumably because Elminster hadn't figured out a way to have sex with it, which makes it functionally useless in his world.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

petrol blue posted:

I would play the poo poo outta bumquest. Cardboard & Carts? Bum: the Vagrancy? WinoWorld (powered by the buckfast)?

Hell, an RPG system based off of Neverwhere would be pretty interesting.
Throw in some sort of Sanity-based mechanic where you have to decide whether you're going crazy or not, ala the one test for the key.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Railing Kill posted:

Or, because it's 7th Sea: he'll reappear, inexplicably alive months later, this time a villain bent on revenge for having been left for dead by the unwitting heroes. 7th Sea II: The Wrath of Nubbins.

I really hope that happens so you can tell us about it. I bet it would be amazing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's going on my wishlist regardless. Thanks for the link.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've got a bad Pathfinder and a good (I think good. Seems good so far) D&D story.

Pathfinder:
It was a Pathfinder Society game, so, organized play, yatta yatta.
I honestly can't remember most of the party, because I am bad at remembering that sort of thing, and other than the couple that I do remember, no one really did anything to stand out.
There was my level 4 Bladebound Magus
A rogue who referred to himself as an archaeologist. I don't think that's an archetype, so he must have just statted himself out that way.
A...something. Summoner maybe? Had an animal companion that was a huge fuckoff gorilla.
An Oracle.
A pre-gen Barbarian
A human cleric of Desna. I remember him because he was sitting next to me, had 22 Strength (Which I'm not even sure how, going by Society rules.), and did exactly two useful things the entire time.
A second cleric, I think. He had Cure spells, at any rate.
I don't think anyone in the party was higher than level 5.

The module was Day of the Demon.
Honestly, the whole adventure was pretty uneventful until the boss fight.

We make our way to the basement, and the hallway splits two ways. One way is barred. I use Unseen Servant to try and jimmy the lever we can kinda see on the other side, but it doesn't work. While the summoner puts his gorilla to work trying to force the bars, I take a short walk down the other passage to check things out. As I'm admiring a mural of Asmodeus, everything goes black, and I get sneak attacked into the negatives.

The party had gotten the bars removed just as I had gotten stabbed, and they make their way into the new room, which is dark as hell thanks to the Darkness spell.
A whole lot of no one being able to do anything happened. The Desna cleric used summon monster to call up a giant worker ant, since they had dark vision, and the summoner sent his gorilla into the fray.
But, neither of them bothered to give specific commands.

DM: "Ok, so what do you tell it to do?"
Cleric: "Lol, I dunno. I tell it to attack?"
Summoner: "I tell mine to attack whatever smells weird."

The DM decides that a celestial giant ant would smell weird, so there's a 50/50 chance it'll attack the ant instead of the demon we're facing (A Babau.)
He also decides that the ant would simply attack the closest thing, since it was only told to attack.
So, it and the gorilla end up taking a few swings at each other.

Eventually, I get dragged out of the darkness, and the other cleric hits me with some weak Cure spells. By weak, I mean he rolled abysmally low on both of them. I think it took 3 people casting Cure Light and one person casting Cure Moderate to finally get me back to where I could get into combat. I immediately cast Shield, Blur, and rub Oil of Bless Weapon on my sword (We were expecting undead)

The Desna cleric tries to cast Dispel Magic, but, the DM says it won't work since he can't see the source of the Darkness. (If I'm reading the book correctly, that's wrong, since you can target an area. But, it's moot because Babau's can spam Darkness at will, so assuming the cleric even managed to dispel, the demon would just re-do it, buying us one turn at most to do anything.)

The fight drags on, and the summoner gets knocked into the negatives somehow. The giant worker ant gets killed, and the DM rules that the gorilla knows to target the Babau now.
The summoner is pissy and having something of a tantrum since the way this fight is going, it is looking VERY likely that we are going to die, so he keeps rolling to see if his gorilla attacks other people.

DM: "Your gorilla knows what to attack now."
Summoner: "Nope. It didn't know earlier, it doesn't know now. :rolldice: Misses the barbarian..."
DM: "It knows what to attack! It attacked the ant because it had the Outsider subtype, it smelled "weird", which is what you said for it to go after."
Summoner: "Yeah, that's nice."

The oracle can see in the dark, so she tries to direct traffic, giving people a "Hey, aim that way!" bonus on a few folks who are trying to lob Holy Water into the darkness spell or fire arrows.
My Unseen Servant is still up, so, I hand it my Wand of Color Spray that I've had since my second or third adventure, and tell it to stand directly behind the skeletal looking thing (We had managed to suspect we'd run into a Babau earlier in the adventure, and someone made a kickass Knowledge check, so we knew a good bit about them before the fight).
I then cast Detect Magic, using my wand as a homing beacon so I can get a general idea of where to go once I can differentiate different auras.

Since the babau is immune to electric, my usual tactic of "Shocking Grasp, channeled through my melee attacks, roll 6d6." won't work, and I really don't have any spells that WOULD work, since it's either immune or resists drat near everything except cold iron and holy, so the best I can do is normal attacks. Luckily, with the Bless Oil rubbed on my sword, all crits are automatically confirmed, and I actually manage to land two solid crits in a row to it.
Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to kill it, and it took great offense to me doing that. So, it hits me with the ClawClawBite.
We're in Darkness and I don't have Blind Fight, so, I'm considered flat footed. Sneak attack applies. It succeeds on the roll to hit me and not miss from Blur. Hits the gently caress out of me, takes me to -17. My con is 14. I'm dead.

Somehow, the group manages to chase it off, and they decide to cut their losses.
Since it wasn't technically a wipe, I was able to use every last prestige point I had to get a Raise Dead. The archaeologist paid for one of the Restoration spells I'd need, and I fronted the second.
At least I got a level up out of it.

My friend had a level 2 Bard in a different group, pretty sure she had fun, if "We dropped a cow onto a t-rex's head" is any indication.

As for D&D. It was earlier tonight, a 5e game at a semi-nearby game store. It was my first time playing there.
Again, I'm bad at remembering people.
They had all played a session beforehand, so everyone was 2nd level starting off, and the DM bumps me up as well. We had my Fighter/Warlock, a tiefling Paladin who I called Down (First as a joke, and then because he took that as his last name.), a wizard (Or sorcerer. I know he had flaming hair, though I think that was because he was a genasi.), his golem - who was another PC, he specialized in charge attacks (Along with proudly, and constantly declaring "I'm a rock!"), a monk, and a giant. Never found out the giant's job class.

I get assigned to work with Down, as we're both Zhentarim agents, and are tasked to go to a nearby town and investigate rumors of strange treasure popping up. This leads to the whole
Me: "So, I guess I'm supposed to work with you."
Him: "Cool. I'm down."
Me: "Nice to meet you, Down."

As we leave town, the donkey I've bought winks at me. Okaaaay. Apparently, this thing is a running joke from one of their other groups, it does more stuff later.

We arrive in our location, just as the rest of the group is returning from their bandit hunt/last session before I got there. Carting a pile of dead bodies on a Floating Disc. Which they deposit in front of the door of the inn.
Much screaming and calling for the guards.

I drop my donkey, who I've named Punch, off at the stables, and it continues to wink at me and the stableboy. We're both a little confused. I suggest the donkey at least buy one of us dinner first, and then go to investigate all the screaming about dead bodies.
The group clears up the situation to the local magistrate, pointing out the whole "Hey, you said there was a bounty."
To which the magistrate points out "Yes, and they all bear the same tattoo. You could have just brought those. Or their heads. You didn't need to bring the whole thing."

While the bodies are getting disposed of, a giant hole opens in the ground, several children falling into the earth. The golem declares "I'm a rock!" and jumps down after them, while a group of old men scream and rant about "No, we will deal with this ourselves, outsiders do not need to meddle in this, etc etc."

Being the pragmatic sort, I attempt to talk some reason into the old men, but, between the golem player screaming "I'm a rock!" over the DM, and the Monk trying to see how much they're willing to pay us to leave instead of investigate, my own attempts go nowhere. Shrugging, I say fuckit and start securing a grappling hook so I can climb down.

Eventually, the rest of the group follows suit, to the continuous protests of the old men. The spellcaster uses his Floating Disc spell to lift the children safely out of the hole, and then we investigate, since we see some doors, some new looking cloaks, and other adventure hooks.

I then go to buy a pepperoni roll, because I'm loving hungry. When I get back, the DM is explaining that the group found an ancient dwarven latrine, and the methane is about to cause an explosion because we have torches, and a wizard whose hair is literally fire. The monk makes a successful reflex save to snatch the torch out of my hands and throw it safely away, the wizard stays far enough back that he doesn't cause an explosion, and we resume searching. The entire time, a bat that only I can see is on my shoulder, whispering things to me. Helpful things, actually, so I roll with it. It also changes shape into a squirrel, a spider monkey, and a dog as we wander, and it brays at me so I also know that it's Punch.

We walk down a hallway, and a series of cages get dropped on us. A few of us fail the saves to avoid being caged, but, we have a golem and a giant in the party, so lifting them up and freeing ourselves is done in short order. As we get out of the cages, we hear the sounds of running from the door we were approaching.
Attempting to follow the tracks, we botch like hell, and end up at a massive, yawning chasm. The DM informs me that Punch crawls inside my backpack, and it begins feeling heavier, even when Punch climbs out and tries to convince me that "What sleeps at the bottom can be ours. We should go down and I can control it! =D"

I politely decline the suggestion and decide to look in my bag, to see what's going on. I am told to make a Sanity roll as I pull a long, very ornate, very black staff out of my backpack, cackling hysterically as I do so.
The wizard more or less shits himself after an Arcana check, telling me that he's pretty sure I'm holding THE Blackstaff in my hands, and throwing it down that pit is probably the smartest life choice I will ever make.
I also pull out a plain, golden ring, and putting it on seems like a VERY good idea. And yes, it is the One Ring. Not liking strange compulsions in my head to do stuff, I toss the ring down the chasm. Or try to. The giant makes a reflex save, grabs it, and puts it on. He goes invisible, turns around, and sees the Eye of Sauron staring at him.

I decide I'm going to hang on to the staff. Because, yeah. It's not suggesting anything to me. I'ma keep that poo poo until the owner comes looking for it.

We make our way back to the cages, and there's a group of men dressed in black, except for the leader who is some sort of half-orc or ogre (I didn't catch which)
He yells Attack, and we roll Initiative.

And then the golem's player gets pissed off about something on his cellphone, storms out with nary a word except "I'm going home.", and leaves. Since no one knows what the gently caress that was about, and the golem is one of the beefier party members, the game gets called.

So, other than the abrupt ending, I had fun with this one. Seems like a decent group of people, so I'm looking forward to finally getting some quality gaming in.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 26, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bieeardo posted:

Calling it now, the donkey is Elminster.

I don't think so. Unless Elminster really wanted me to wake up the Tarrasque.
(I was told after game that at least once, if someone botches a Survival roll when underground, the party will inevitably come across a pit leading hundreds of miles down into the earth, where it sleeps.)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Foolster41 posted:

Yeah, I got crappy rolls. KZ-1 now thinks Goblins have some sort of anti-robot protection.

Don't forget "slider spray". And the conversation with a captured goblin:
:toughguy: "Talk, or I'll feed you a triple bacon slider!"
:) (In high voice) "Oh, that sounds nice actually. It is three kinds of bacon, or just three times the normal amount?"

Also:

:) "I'm more a Finnegan's guy myself"

Really sounds like someone in the party needs a sassy goblin sidekick to hassle them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I want to believe the story, but I've read too many other contradicting stories where the ST would have simply said "No, that didn't happen."

I think it was in one of the old threads, back when we had separate Good Experience/Catpiss threads, someone linked a video of someone talking about their VtR larp experience.

To try and sum it up, guy went to one, spent the whole night getting godmodded by players who had been there longer, so he uses his character's chemistry skill to make a huge bathtub full of plastic explosives, leaves a huge stack of note cards that said "C4" in a bathroom of the Elysium, then walked outside and asked the ST to countdown from 10 before declaring that the C4 exploded and everyone died. The ST tells him that it didn't happen, of course.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Red Metal posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the video you're talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AEBnH1kAM

Yep, that's the one.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm sure that's not the case in your story, but, that COULD have made for an interesting plot.
I mean, even with high end weapons, you're still a sorely undertrained and ultimately under equipped group of nobodies. You would more than likely botch the assassination, and then you'd have a campaign built around evading the authorities and trying to figure out who sent you on an obvious fool's errand and why.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The other night in the VtM larp I play in, my Gangrel attempted to communicate with some sort of pissed off super wraith by assembling a soupcan phone with a generous amount of fishing line, and tossing one can through the basement door.
It seemed like a good idea at the time, I don't have enough dots in Lore nor do I have any useful gear for the situation to do any sort of Intelligent plan, and I was waiting on the assamite who did, so I figured I would at least take a crack at the idea.

On the bright side, it did indirectly lead to getting some useful information, so go Team Stupid Enough to Work.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think if I were going to build a Muscle Wizard template, it'd be closer to a Variant Monk.
Swap our a few Monk abilities in order to cast spells.
Use the Bard's Spell-per-Day table, and Strength determines Spells per Day
The Muscle Wizard only knows one Spell: I cast Fist!
Each use allows the Muscle Wizard to replicate the effects of an appropriate leveled spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list, as long as the player can justifiably make the spell Fist themed, or plead the case that a Muscle Wizard would know the spell.

Magic Missile?
I cast Fist! causes 4 spectral Fists fly towards the target.

Fireball?
Consult the comic.

Protection from Arrows?
I punch the Arrows. Magically.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm in a weekly Scion game with some friends. It's fun as hell, we're all on the same page in terms of horrible, inappropriate humor, and we are unashamedly all Chaotic Stupid in character. It's basically just us sitting around, coming up with the most over the top dumbshit we can think of.
We've got a group chat thing going on too, so we can coordinate stuff in case people can't make it or whatever, and one of the players was reading up on how the Scooby Doo gang are all Scions, which led to this exchange:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Had my weekly Scion game tonight. We were short a few people, but still had 4, so we ran with it.

Myself - Stig, Scion of Odin. Gun runner, drives a possibly sentient van that has waaaaaaay more poo poo going for it than it has any right to, even for a 4 dot relic. Hangs out with The Hot Dog Man, a fatebound mortal.

Constantine - Scion of a guy who I can not loving spell to save my life. Is destined to cause nothing but destruction, but all he wants is to be a good guy and possibly get a drink. Has a severe lack of understanding in terms of culture, gets most of his information from a Japanese-English dictionary.

Kevin - Scion of Thor. Has a power in the Air purview that basically lets him turn Super Saiyan. Generally viewed as a disappointment, at least by Odin.

Aaron - Not sure. He had lost his character sheet, and was going to make a new one. Mostly just did roleplay stuff.

The Hot Dog Man - NPC. He's apparently from a game of Dread the ST had run for a different group. In that game, he was literally just a russian guy who owned a hot dog cart. In the Dread game, he managed to not only survive, but turned into some sort of monster killing badass once he got hold of a shotgun, thanks to a lot of lucky pulls. In our game, he was in some sort of Hell Dimension, and we were tasked with getting him out. Towards the end of that session, while riding in my van, smoke demons appear and kill some of the other NPC passengers. Hot Dog Guy pulls out a shotgun from under the seat, and blew one of the demon's heads off in a massive damage roll (The dice just kept exploding). The ST swears he's just a mundane human, but, he has pulled off some crazy epic Dex stunts.

We play a little loose with the rules, like I said, the van my character drives pulls off waaaaay more poo poo than it really should have any right to, though it does make for some fun moments in storytelling.

So, we were sent to Las Vegas. A number of Gods were planning to meet to see what to do about the Wyoming situation
(Before I joined the group, the party had played some part in Wyoming being removed from existence. It is currently a gaping void.)

We were all also given some other tasks, depending on our parents.
Odin tasks me with figuring out what Tezcatlipoca, an Aztec god, is up to. And then to interfere with whatever that is. He also mentions an actress in town (Rinoa Flowers) to whom he owes the family a blood debt, so, play guardian angel for her and hers if the need arises.

Thor needs Kevin to figure out what Loki is up to, and probably stop it, since it's Loki.

Constantine, for some reason, was tasked with helping Rinoa to either reconcile with her husband, or split them up amicably, either or. He also gets put up in a super luxury suite in the Luxor.

We split up for awhile, mostly trying to gather information and follow any leads we might have had.
Kevin has no idea where to look, and spends a lot of time trying to convince me that Loki should be a priority. He also had some misadventures with the Ork scion in a different session.

Constantine decides that the best way to save a marriage is to go on a Sasquatch hunt. So, he needs to get a flyer to invite them, and then he needs to find them so he can give them the flyer.

I end up in a small casino, playing poker with a handful of other Scions. No idea of who, most of them were under false names, since it was just supposed to be a friendly game of poker in a neutral area.
I discover that Rinoa is being targeted by Tezcatlipoca for some reason, no one knows why, just that they want her in a bad way, and have been making pretty generous offers.
So far, all attempts have been thwarted. There's rumor of a one-armed old man who has been kicking the poo poo out of anyone who tries, though only one of the other Scions actually believes that. I also learn that Aphrodite is involved somehow, acting as some sort of go-between for anyone interested in taking on the job.

I'm skipping bits and pieces from other sessions, but we do spend a good bit of time in Constantine's room in the Luxor.
While I'm out and about, Constantine and the others gets a visit from Horus, who wants to ask a favor of them - To safeguard a golden egg until sunrise.
They accept, because hey, Horus would owe them a favor.

Shortly after, the hotel is besieged by flying monkeys, led by a scion of Sun Wukong. At least I'm assuming it's a Scion. Either way, he was also involved in the Wyoming incident, might be the actual culprit, it was before my time and I don't think the other players know definitively yet either.
I arrive, and set the van to combat mode, it armors itself and begins firing turrets at monkeys. I go inside with a shotgun and Pyramid Head's sword, which I made sure to steal when we were in the Silent Hill themed Hell dimension.
Not having any idea what's going on, all I hear is Aaron mention an egg, and I realize I don't see Constantine anywhere. Which is bad, because Constantine is like Lennie from Of Mice and Men, if he had superpowers.

Inside, monkeys. Lots of monkeys. There are poop-throwing shenanigans, I cleave a gorilla in two. Upstairs, Constantine is guarding the egg when Sun Wukong arrives, floating outside the window. Connie wraps himself in blankets and throws himself down the laundy chute, doing an acrobatic loving pirouette, sticking the landing, and dressing himself in drag so he can walk out of the hotel unnoticed.
He is immediately found out by a Scion of Set who was waiting nearby.

Connie makes a run for it, leaping up a building, and the SetScion attempts to call him out for cowardice. Connie uses a willpower to overcome his short temper, placing the egg's safety first, and continues to run for it, even though it went against his very core to run from a fight.
A rooftop chase occurs, before Constantine jumps down, hoping to lose himself in a crowd. SetScion gives no fucks, can hone in on the egg, and summons a bunch of mummies to aid in the chase while killing a bunch of mortal civilians.

Hot Dog Guy arrives in my van, picks up Connie, and hauls rear end. Since I'm not there, he doesn't know how to get the van to fly, so it's a mundane chase, rather than aerial.
Kevin and Aaron arrive shortly thereafter, Kevin being able to fly thanks to his Sky purview.

The van makes its way back to the hotel, I hop in, and as I set us towards flying, the first thing I do is look at Constantine and go "What loving egg!?"

While in the air, we get attacked by Tengu, along with Eaglox, a villain from a session I had missed, who is a wannabe rap battler. Kevin turns super saiyan, and flies out to engage him.
Their fight is evenly matched, and literally no damage is dealt between them as they keep parrying each other despite high rolls.

Connie attempts to go full Kratos, using some tow chains inside the van, while Aaron grabs an assault rifle.
I do some evasive flying while Hot Dog Guy leans out the window, unloading his own shotgun. Once I get us some breathing room, I decide to go full anime. The van begins charging, covering itself in a shell of crackling electrical energy. I cut the wheel to throw us into a spiral, and hit the gas before yelling "Giga Drill Breaker!" and plowing through a crowd of Tengu.
Again, the ST is pretty loose with the rules. Pretty sure there was little to no way that would have worked with the actual mechanics. But, it was cool.

The sun rises, and the egg hatches. Out comes Horus, who clears out the rest of the Tengu. Eaglox flees, and Horus takes us all to a breakfast buffet, since he figures we've had a long night. He explains how he needed to take his God rest every couple of months, thanks us for the help, and tells us that his scion would have a reward for us when we met up with him.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 1, 2015

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Railing Kill posted:

:hist101: Why did you make this?

:) Well, we're good people, you know, but Jerry just woke up in the middle of the night with an irresistible urge to kill.

:hist101: Oh, hi, Jerry! How are your kids?

:wave: Good! How's yer mum? Etc, etc...

This exchange here proves how very worth it this system is, and I wholeheartedly endorse it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jesus Christ.
I'm always secretly glad that my larp group seems to err closer to the normal side. I mean, you KNOW they have their kinky poo poo going on, but they do a good job at keeping it to themselves and not beating you over the head with it.

On the other hand, I'm always secretly worried that it only seems that way because I'm relatively new to the group, and that someone is going to reveal the truth behind the facade if I stick around long enough.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Deez Nuts?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, that second option sounds pretty twisted, in a good way. That could lead to some interesting character development for the PCs, especially if they don't know they're Twitch streaming a snuff film.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

chitoryu12 posted:

An update: Smokey the Bear worked.

"The bear takes fire damage."

"But does the fire take bear damage?"

"No, because it turns out that only you can prevent fire damage."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Went to my regular VtM larp the other night. Had a good time, made some progress on things both for my character and the overall plot.
I try to take notes, but, I've never been good at that. But, here's what I've got:

Stig - Me. Gangrel Anarch. Laid back, enjoys trolling/provoking people.
Sylvy - Gangrel Primogen, was sharing the position with another guy who hasn't shown up to the past several games. Really wishes she were a werewolf. Serious chips on her shoulder.
Kitty - Malkavian Primogen. Stig's skee-ball buddy (Anarchs control the Dave and Busters in Pittsburgh in our game.), thinks she's living in Hetalia.
Cornelius - I think he's an Assamite? He's got some magic goggles that let him see things on the astral plane. Went ghost hunting with Stig a few times.
Tony - Anarch Baron, played by Mike, one of the ST's.
Tears of Helios - Werewolf antagonist. Played by Dan, the other ST. Is literally on Fire, and deals Sunlight/Fire damage when he hits you. Killed a bunch of vampire elders the last time he was in Pittsburgh (before my time)

So, the evening begins with a Gangrel NPC explaining that one of the Prince's ghouls has been kidnapped. There were signs of a struggle, and a search party was being organized.
I don't know much past that, because I didn't get in on that. Apparently Sylvy tried beating a guy to death with his own arm? But yeah, I had other leads to follow up on, and I don't care too much about the Camarilla's problems anyways.

Sylvy pulls me aside and mentions that Dresden (the Gangrel who was sharing Primogen duties with her) hasn't been to the last few meetings, and asks if I'll back her if he takes offense to her claiming the position solely for herself. Again, I don't care about Camarilla politics, BUT, I also really don't like Dresden, and I'm certainly on board with an excuse to beat him up.

Pretty sure I mentioned that I had encountered some sort of pissed off Super Wraith, and another spirit that it seemed to be keeping as a punching bag. I haven't had much luck establishing contact, because anytime I figure out a way to communicate, the SuperWraith skips straight to trying to kill me, and the other one just keeps trying to get me to leave before I get myself killed.
I was able to acquire a note from the victim spirit. Well, more like a scrawl on a piece of paper, but hey, I have friends who can do things similar to Psychometry.

My primary goal was figuring out a way to be able to fight the Wraith, since currently, I lack any means to see/defend against/attack it. The Tremere Primogen mentioned being able to enchant a few weapons, but, that does me no good since I put all my combat into Brawl. I figured I would try my luck with a "real" mage, and spent a lot of downtime trying to track one down.
Eventually, I do learn that he's rumored to operate out of a magic shop. Around the same time I figure this out, the Super Mario theme starts coming from my TV. Touching the TV throws me into First Person Mario. (Literally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBb9wFP7uZM)
I clear the level, and get thrown from the TV with a coin in my hand. The coin works like a GPS, and leads me to the magic shop in question.
Inserting the coin into a slot near the door, I'm allowed inside, where I meet...I never actually got his name, but he was like the bastard lovechild of Willy Wonka and The Doctor.
I'm able to ask if he can do anything to "let me punch ghosts.", he says that's a bad idea for me to do, but, if I play his game, he'll see what he can do to help me out.

gently caress Yes I'm in for that idea.
And back into the first person Mario I go. Except this time, for some reason, I'm in the Tanuki suit. And the enemies have wings, so I can't just cheese my way through by flying. No matter, I still clear the levels.
For my efforts, I'm rewarded with a magic coat. It gives me 2 extra health boxes against spirits, and then I'm transported back to my home.

I talk to Kitty and ask her to do "brain things" to the note I had gotten earlier from the spirit. She does so, allowing me to ride shotgun in her head, and we enter the astral version of the house that the spirits are in. The "good" spirit is batshit loving insane from however many years of torture it's endured, the insanity wrapping around it's core like a cage. We try touching the cage, and for our trouble, we experience all the pain that spirit has ever felt. We don't take any actual damage, but, it still hurts like a motherfucker. The spirit looks at me, and reminds me that "I TOLD you to run! Repeatedly! She's coming!"
At which point, the Bad Ghost arrives and tries to consume Kitty and myself. Kitty gets us out of there, and as we're leaving, we hear the tortured screams of the Good Ghost.

We come back to our normal bodies, and one of the other players tells us that Sylvy has encountered Tears of Helios and is fighting him a ways from the Elysium.
I tell Mike that I'm grabbing a few things, and then I head to the scene.

I missed a few big chunks of this fight, so I can't give a play by play. Sylvy seemed to be holding her own, or at least losing slowly. She seemed to be pretty combat specced, and was doing everything she could to emulate an actual werewolf. She has some sort of werewolf combat form, and can split herself into 4 copies.
Myself and a few others arrive, including a Gargoyle PC. Initiatives are cast, my turn rolls around:
"Tears of Helios! Have a Snickers! You're acting like a dick right now!" - Social check.
Mike: "Yeah, he did grab one of those on the way out."
Unfortunately, I lost that social check. On the bright side, Tears had more important things to deal with, so he didn't attack me.

Next turn, it gets to me:
Me: "I pull out my fire extinguisher!"
Dan: "You brought a fire extinguisher?"
Me: "Motherfucker, I brought 4!"
Mike: "Yep. He did."
No checks were necessary, and to my credit, I actually am able to extinguish some of Tears' flames. Not all of them, but a lot.

Other people do useful things. The Gargoyle tries to tank, since he has Visceratika out the rear end, Sylvy is frenzied and trying to fight, Kitty tries to use Presence to lock down Tears' powers, guns are fired, etc.
Gradually, we're winning, though Tears is regenerating more health than we're able to do, and he used an ability that stopped a lot of us from being able to spend Blood for the rest of the scene, so that stops a lot of us from bringing out any of our better powers. Eventually, he retreats, and since none of us are capable of really following him, we chalk it up as a win for ourselves and the game ends shortly after.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Golden Bee posted:

Dumping ultra genocide in players laps: a cool idea

In the Edge of the Empire game I played in awhile back, our campaign was capped off with us destroying the earth and everyone on it in order to stop some dark side super weapon that would have triggered the space zombie apocalypse.
The sheer force of lost life put both of the party's Jedi into a coma for close to a month.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Unknown Quantity posted:

Cross-posting from Shadowrun thread.

This run was apparently so full of catpiss it was erased from existence.

Which is a pity, because if you look at the raw components, this should have been awesome.
Ok, the plot item is a little juvenile, but as long as it was played tongue in cheek, it could work.
Ghost Cowboys as guards, with ghost revolvers.

I mean, yeah, things seem to have gone catpiss, but the ingredients for something fun seem to have been there.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pretty sure that's the sort of thing that prompted the rename to Rogue in later editions.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of the PvP stories, I remember one of the older versions of this thread had a good VtM one.
Basically, they had some sort of Munchkin in the group who was constantly trying to wreck the game for everyone, but kept getting outsmarted and killed.
I distinctly recall one of his characters had a poo poo ton of mental powers, and they managed to get him up to a stage 3 blood bond without him ever realizing it.

Does anyone else remember that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

biosterous posted:

Setup is here, story with the blood is here.

(the new forum search is actually pretty great if you use threadid:[numbers] and a single good keyword!)

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.
I will never not love the Nosferatu strike team.