Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

'Hey hero,' the Orc Wizard says. 'Wanna try some Snow Crash?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yawgmoth posted:

Letting an engineer of any kind have free rein in D&D is a recipe for disaster, really.

Actually it owns. You get to constantly tell him that the world doesn't work like that. Oh, you made an electrical generator? that's nice, but unfortunately electricity is what happens when storms get lonely for the earth so your generator doesn't actually power anything, it just bums out clouds. way to go jerk

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splicer posted:

How bummed does a cloud have to be to cry? Can I use my generator to help end the drought?

This is me fully supporting your approach by the way.

yes you can! but you are gonna get hosed up by air, water, and storm elementals

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splicer posted:

Can I trap an air elemental in a jar and use it to power my magic flying cart?

Now you're cooking with gas! (note, gas is not useful for cooking in my fantasy world)

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chance II posted:

The fledgling Eclipse Phase game I've been whining about for a week is run by that same electrical engineer I DMed for so long ago and one of the other players is some sort of mathematician so we end up with half hour derails about astrophysics or some poo poo. Its like playing with the Big Bang theory and I don't give half a poo poo about it. Just let me play my 120 year old alchoholic Russian cosmonaut in Iron Man armor.

This guy better call himself the Man of Steel

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a best experience a couple of months ago, in a pbp game on these forums. Unfortunately I totally flaked out in the game right at the end of this, which kind of puts a damper on how great this story was, but it's still pretty awesome.

So I'm running a game of Dark Heresy, but instead of being the acolytes of an Inquisitor, my players are Deathwatch serfs. for those of you who aren't warhams, the Deatwatch are an order of space marines made up of especially gifted individuals from almost all the various space marine chapters, devoted to fighting aliens. they work for the Ordo Xenos, one of the major inquisitorial bunches.

The Deathwatch is spread pretty thin, and they are usually the first to encounter some weird rear end alien race. they also have to keep a watch over various hotspots: deathworlds, ruined alien planets where the aliens might come back, poo poo like that. Obviously they can't guard all of these places in force, but they generally have a stronghold around the ones they know about, keeping an eye on stuff.

The players are normal human serfs who live on one of those strongholds, people whose ancestors got caught up in Space Marine business for a variety of reasons and ended up yanked out of their lives and turned into hereditary servants. in this case, it's a space station orbiting a planet whose inhabitants were destroyed over 1000 years ago. There aren't any indications that this xeno race is coming back, but it was seriously bad news and the deathwatch are nothing if not thorough, so generations of serfs have lived and died on the station, keeping an eye out and staying ready to call for help at any time. Unfortunately, their station's cogitator goes down right when poo poo jumps off on the planet and the aliens make a comeback.

One of the ways this game was different from normal Dark heresy is that all the players had beefed up weapons from Rogue Trader. Another is that they all got little gifts from me. Sledra, playing a Guardswoman, had a set of master crafted, holy brass knuckles. they were basically worthless melee weapons doing measly damage, but double damage against daemons, the joke being there weren't any daemons in this game.

So some stuff happens, divers adventures etc, and my players end up fighting their way to the station's astropath, who is going NUTS ever since the aliens started getting active. The guy's eyes are glowing, the hexagrammatic wards on his walls are smoking, he's written prayers in praise of the God-Emperor in his own blood (also glowing) and now he is chanting about how the emperor is here, he's on the station.

At this point I should mention that one of my players is an assassin who has been reskinned completely. his backstory is that he's been mindwiped, and every day he has all his memories stripped from him again. Somehow the alien thing has stopped this process, although we didn't get far enough into the game for him to actually realize he was accruing memories. Anyway, all he's good for now is to be a janitor, which he has basically been programmed to do.

So, what does this guy do but look at the glowing bloodprayers and see a mess. A mess which he proceeds to clean up.

Im pretty shocked at this point, this is the last thing I expected to happen. I put the bloodprayers there as flavor, so I'm at a loss. At this point the Astropath has been pouring huge amounts of psychic energy into these prayers for hours, so something ahs to give. Fortunately, this is PbP. I take a day, roll up a Daemon.

So a Daemon appears to gently caress my players up. At first they are doing gently caress all for damage, but then the janitor dude goes berserk with his eviscerator. An eviscerator, by the way, is an insanely beefed up chainsword that is a danger to its wielder as well as his enemies. If he had hit himself with it, the janitor would have died from even minimal damage. But he hits the Daemon instead.

Then he licks the blood of the chainsword. This is also unexpected but gently caress it. So he immediately regrets this, but a voice in his head tells him "I'm probably in the clear on this one, right? I mean, if there's no obvious problem then it's not a big deal. That's what I heard anyway. Yeah, probably best just to forget about this whole totally inconsequential series of corrupting mistakes that won't come back to haunt me in any way. by the way this is totally your, Agemman Marbray's, internal monologue talking and not a daemon tempter." So that's a bullet dodged.

So the Daemon tries to take off, but can't escape because the room is heavily warded and the party psyker has managed to beef up the wards even more during the fight. So since it can't escape it pops off Fear (3) which is pretty scary, all things considered. Half the party goes catatonic. The Janitor goes berserk, starts waving around a bar of soap thinking it's a rosette, swinging his crazy chainsword around like there's no tomorrow. Eventually the party techpriest makes a SICK called shot to his chainsword, knocking it out of his hands to everyone's relief.

Then the guardswoman takes out my gag gift, the blessed knuckledusters, and punches the daemon to death.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SirPhoebos posted:

Counter-argument: Republic Commando led to Karen Traviss writing for Star Wars. :smugbert:

oh hey, Karen Traviss. I read the Wess'har novels. total garbage.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I fursonally think you shoulda said "You have guts. I like that" and then enslaved him.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

...I did not.

Now I have to see if I can cheese out a way for our characters to know about it.

you critted on the computer use thing right? so presumably you have root access to a lot of imperial files. at the very least you can use that to find other imperial networks to slice later on, which DO have the info you want.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
so basically you will either be the god-king of the administrative center of the Empire, or you will kill billions of people, becoming one of the most reviled villains in the history of a setting that is, shall we say, atrocity-rich.

dark side problems

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A smug sociopath posted:

yo maybe this was fun for you and that's cool but this is basically awful, you don't get to complain about how bad the DM is if you start the game out doing poo poo like this

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A smug sociopath posted:

You must have missed the part where he blatantly expressed to us that he was going to start the campaign by loving crucifying us. I mean, he was smug as hell about it, and made no attempts to hide the fact that it would be a GM vs Players affair.
I think his reasoning for the crucifixion was to have us in a position where we would be absolutely defenseless (and have some sadistic fun on the side) so that we could easily be railroaded by a mighty GMPC to a suicide mission to some magic ruins.
Actually, he did succeed on the defenseless and railroaded part later on, with a whole "magic bracelets that explode if you disobey" shebang.

Edit:

That's right.

Your boy started the campaign by designing a dude who was completely broken, then using a completely retarded strategy to wreck the game. In my opinion he was begging for the DM to pull some sort of awful escalation.

Basically if you don't treat the GM's game with respect then why should he treat you with respect? He's a player too, he deserves to have fun and not be hosed with just like you do. And the argument that he's a terrible GM doesn't work, because you knew that going in, and fired the first shot rather than just not playing with him. You went in depending on him to be a bad GM as part of your plan for enjoying yourself. You don't then get to turn around on him and say "oh look waht a bad DM he is!" If you guys had fun with it that's one thing, but I would hate to play with either you or this Abe guy, you both seem as bad as one another.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bitchtits McGee posted:

On the other hand, seems to me that the GM doesn't have much room to complain about their players acting like dicks if they're openly boasting beforehand about explicitly and literally crucifying the entire party by the end of the first Goddamned session.

The players don't really have room to complain about anything the GM does if he openly plans to crucify them and then they join the game anyway.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A smug sociopath posted:

Or maybe the GM should've had the decency to at least read some of the rules before approving his character. He definitely had the chance, and the power to deny Eric's character. But he didn't, because, like rest of his GM:ing, he half-assed on getting to know the rules ( and this was after being in a several month long campaign of the same game).

At that point, it was his campaign or naught. Back then I had no say in what got played, so I just tagged along for the ride. I went in expecting the same kind of sandboxy fun we had had in the same group previously. Instead I got a gloating description of how we were going to get crucified. So hell yeah, look what a bad GM he is.

U-huh.

Sorry bro, but his being a lovely DM doesn't mean that you weren't a lovely player. There is a right way and a wrong way to deal with other people and yours is the wrong way. Your stories remind me of the old 50 Foot Ant stories from previous incarnations of this thread. Other people in this thread are either bragging about great times they had with friends, or sharing war stories of terrible people whose behavior just ruined their day. You, by contrast, are bragging about how you ruined some terrible person's day by being terrible yourself. I don't get why you think that's cool.

Also lol I just realized that you were blaming him for not knowing the rules well enough to recognize that one of his players was being a huge douche. Oh, of course, the guy wasn't a douche, because the DM (who didn't know the rules yet) said it was OK! Even though the player did know the rules, and knew that what he was doing really wasn't OK. That's like if I rocked up to someone and scammed them in some pyramid scheme and then said "whoa, shoulda understood finance better!" sure they should have, but that doesn't make me magically not a thief

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Section Z posted:

Liesmith, normally you come across mostly as a voice of reason. But sometimes an rear end in a top hat GM is just an rear end in a top hat GM, regardless of the player's own actions.

If not, out of real curiosity if that's not bag GMing, could you fill us in on what is bad GMing? If the crucifixion was a surprise, would that be bad then? Or still good because it is the GMs game and his story?

Nobody's saying it's good GMing, I'm just saying that it's terrible play on Smug Sociopath's part and really reflects poorly on him. He had a lot of options, from walking away from a terrible game, to trying to be a good player and maybe turn the GM around, to just acting like a huge passive aggressive jerk who decides that if the GM is gonna be bad, then there's no reason for him to treat anyone at the table with respect. And his buddy is worse since he'd been planning to gently caress with this game since character creation.

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 21, 2012

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yawgmoth posted:

Sometimes the only way to break a bad GM's bad GMing is to out-douchebag them from the other side. I've never seen a GM like Smug's go "oh, no one wants to play with me, it must be that I'm a cockbag and I need to learn how to be a better player." No. It's always "no one wants to play with me? well it must be that they can't handle my genius."

They were attempting a turnabout-is-fair-play lesson and they failed. It was notably bad and that's what this thread is for.

I disagree. I mean, yeah, just sitting passively in hopes that their lovely GM grows up is a schoolboy nerd error, but turning around and saying "well this guy sucks, so we will be dicks first" is an incredibly lovely move as well. And this isn't like the guys in this thread who show up at a con and a huge fat guy shows up and then describes how his werewolf rapes the female NPCs or whatever, while the other players reel in shock or scramble to respond. They knew this guy, they knew what he was like, and they chose to play with him anyway. YOu can't really complain if you put yourself in that situation.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yawgmoth posted:

But they weren't dicks first. He fired the initial salvo with "hey guys I'm gonna literally crucify your characters by the end of the first session, heh :smug:" and also made full notice that this was going to be a GM-vs-PCs game. So they accepted and took on the fight. When the GM couldn't even make the game interesting and had to resort to disappearing invisible mummies, they quit.

I've been in some adversarial GM games that have been fun, and they were fun because the GM started off with "I'm gonna throw poo poo at you that you have maybe a 1:100 chance of winning and you're gonna try to avoid the bottom 99 of that range." The GM did what he said, we made our characters as absurd as possible, and poo poo was hilarious for both sides. It's like the bizzaro world version of Smug's story, but it is possible if the GM isn't a fuckhead (or at least isn't a boring fuckhead).

The difference is that you did it in a spirit of good natured competition, whereas Smug Sociopath sounds like a dick in 100% of his stories so far. Also, when your GM tells you that you are gonna get crucified as a plot point, and you don't want to be crucified, either discuss it with him or don't play the game. it's not rocket science

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpactVector posted:

And then I get this in my email last night:

:doh: Seriously dude? I haven't seen this much railroady bullshit since high school. We're all adults now who can come up with our own reasons to be interested in whatever plot you've got going. You don't have to go cutting pieces off our characters.

At this point mostly I'm just hoping I was an outlier and he didn't deprotagonize the rest of the group too much since they're all still pretty new to the hobby.

There is nothing wrong with the DM telling you the events of the last day or so in your backstory. It maybe isn't the best way to go but I wouldn't go in there being all huffy about it, it doesn't guarantee anything other than that you have a quest and a named enemy right away. That said, your DM is a lovely writer, and could end up railroading you just because he loves his own bad writing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, thanks all for both validating that it was a hamfisted way to get buy-in and slapping some sense into me that I was getting mad about elfgames. I'm still not ecstatic about it, and I might just give him a "hey, maybe next time it'd be cool to cooperatively work together with a player to figure out why they're interested in the current situation rather than trying to dictate it", but I'm not going to flip any tables or anything (not that that was ever the plan).

See, this is where I think we're disagreeing. Because to me it does feel like I lost agency over the character. The description was way too detailed for me to be able to fill in my own ideas about what my character was thinking and doing.

You don't get full agency over your character until the game starts. Just like you wouldn't mind the GM giving you an ancestral blade if it fit your backstory, you shouldn't make a big deal about the ear. Get it healed, pick up a habit of stealing ears to replace yours, do whatever. But it's not the end of the world.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mikan posted:

If a dude sent me a thing about how I got captured and lost an ear and it was that badly written and all that poo poo with no input I'd either be out the game (if I didn't know the dude that well) or call him on it. It's really not defensible.

I'd be out of the game because he is unimaginative and terrible at description though, not because he ruined my character who I hadn't yet played.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Breetai posted:

I was half-expecting depopulation due to nuclear winter as a sort of 'rocks fall, everyone dies' writ large, and I'm not sure whether that would have been better or not.

a 5 million pound impact isn't even a megaton, not exactly the stuff of dinosaur apocalypse.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
calling a thing butt is offensive, because butt is a noun. I am autistic, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to speak a new language from now on.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BattleMaster posted:

Space travel in many fictional universes is fairly slow, except most writers/GMs have the sense to fast-forward through it. In my BattleTech campaign, the entirety of the way the last journey was described was "okay, it takes 115 days to get there and absolutely nothing of note happens along the way."

Its better when you get something more like "it takes 115 days to get there. You spend a lot of them in the commissary flirting with one of the staff but it doesnt work out. The last few weeks are torture as you try to avoid each other on a tiny ship, and you are relieved when you can strap yourself back into your mech and kill some davion scum

You know, something human for the player to embroider their sheet of numbers a bit

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clanpot Shake posted:

Drake isn't at all worried about the voice, chalking it up to whatever they were pumping into his arm at the hospital.
Did you say to him "At first you feels sick and starts to panic, but fortunately there are no further effects, and in a second everything is fine. You hears a soothing voice in your head that tells you so. You think: I'm probably in the clear on this one, right? I mean, if there's no obvious problem then it's not a big deal. That's what I heard anyway. Yeah, probably best just to forget about this whole totally inconsequential series of corrupting mistakes that won't come back to haunt me in any way. by the way this is totally your, Drake's, internal monologue talking and not a daemon tempter. So that's a bullet dodged."

Man, I wish I hadn't flaked out on that game

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlphaDog posted:

More edit: One time, back in the 90s, I think we were playing AD&D, and the dungeon contained a big inexplicable pool of acid. The PCs decided that since acid is so loving valuable (just check the phb!), this pool was probably worth 1000 times what the actual loot from the dungeon was worth. So they spent 4 or 5 sessions devising a way to get the acid out of the pool, into barrels, and into the city to be sold.

They were having fun, and I don't see it as the GM's job to say "stop having fun and get back to killing goblins".

pretty much every adventuring party that encountered that pool of acid did this.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yawgmoth posted:

A game in which you end up racking up a total 11,781,000xp. Hell, the 3e ELH only has monsters that go to (iirc) about CR 80, so at some point you have to start not only killing gods (who always give each character XP = your level x1000), you also start having to create gods just to kill them in order to level since there's no setting where there's >70 gods.

If he's been playing since 1e then he's probably had that much xp for years. I'll bet he had 11 mil back in the 2e days, it's not like it was that hard to get back then. Converting by xp rather than by level would be retarded but not unimaginable.

Or, of course, he could have converted by level and just played a lot.

Either way I cant see why he did it though, having an epic level character is fun for a gimmick sesh or two but then you retire him and make someone reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, part of the agreement is that if they ever stop turning a profit with the arena, they lose it. Basically, the guy who used to own it now gets 30% of everything they make, without having to do anything. I meant it to function as an easy out, so if they get tired of it it doesn't hang around and sour the game, but it's also a nice little "We can't lose", because at any point all they have to do is close it down, and they lose ownership of it.

Also, like I said, they're sending all the "dead" people into their secret underground city, of which they have the only portal out. These guys cover their bases well, it's almost kind of frustrating sometimes trying to come up with a way to screw them over with their own actions. :v:

One of the people targeted is a guy who lost out in some church politics. They rescue him, send him through the portal, and he realizes that this is something he can use to get back into the church's good graces and grab that promotion to heirarch or whatever. Welp