Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I don't think you'd need to fire a shot (whether a laser or a really fast ship) at all, personally. Something the size of the Death Star has to have a lot of mass just by itself, probably more than a natural moon of the same size because of all the dense metals. Move it into low enough orbit and it'll probably cause groundquakes and tidal upheaval, while its technobabble fields hold its own self together. And honestly, that'd be even scarier to me: Looking up in the sky and seeing the instrument of your doom just lingering there doing its work and knowing that there's nothing you can do but run and spread the word that the Empire is not to be hosed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can forgive star wars ships having wings; A good number of them double as shuttles and have to do atmospheric poo poo where wings are actually necessary/very helpful, so it never really bothered me. Am I broken?
I'm not bothered by it either. In addition to what you said, the wings also add extra surface area, which means greater heat dissipation, and I have to imagine that blasters produce tons of heat. Plus, aesthetics. Must never discount the need for aesthetics.

edit: Yeah this is probably a bit of a derail.