Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This leads to poo poo like them saying "We know they're somewhere in this region of space, right? Let's attach a hyperdrive to an asteroid and program it to zig-zag back and forth throughout this region and turn off the safety interlocks that make it drop out of hyperspace in a gravity well. That way when it smacks into their base it'll vaporize the whole drat thing." We got lucky - it hit a pair of cruisers out on patrol instead of the base.

Yeah, if you have spare hyperdrives there is no real reason not to make ridiculous suicide bombs. The only example of a hyperspace capable ship hitting a planet in the canon ended up killing everyone. It is a crazy efficient strat (and one of the reasons you can't really play super serious star wars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, the Death Star is a symbol of terror. It can show up in a system and demonstrate the threat of destruction but, yes, it is horribly inefficient.

As for the explanation that "only five technicians in the sector can program it" well, come on, that is a bit silly. There are billions of hyperdrive engineers in the Star Wars universe and every second a new one rolls off the production lines.
People design these things and then add the security that stops them going into suns and stuff, the idea that it is this ultra secret technology to remove an override from a commercially created space engine is a little bit of a stretch.

Finally, you can program hyperspace jumps for relatively short distances as well and use it tactically. Abuse of hyperspace is such an obvious thing that it is kinda silly that it is never intentionally used in the canon, so when you start doing that yourself it is a bit ridiculous.

Using the MAD comparison isn't really apt because, well, they do blow up a planet? They've shown they are totally fine with it.
The reason people don't attack Coruscant with asteroids isn't because they fear the retribution of the Empire or some sort of moderate escalation situation.

I think that it's possible to play super serious Star Wars

And also it's stupid and try not to think about it too much because Star Wars, dude.

Nice.

I'm not mocking you or calling you a nerd, I've done relatively serious Star Wars before and it is a great franchise but it is pretty frustrating and difficult to do as you have to deal with a big list of contradictions and kinda weird things but if you do the ground-work it is great!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Colon V posted:

Unfortunately, if you wanna get :spergin: about it, you have to be a part of the living Force to use a lightsaber (which is why Greivous still had a heart, IIRC). That, and any sensible GM would immediately point out that the power draw on that thing would be absolutely mindboggling.

:spergin: derail but that's not really true, you can be a droid and use a lightsaber fine, you just can't predict blaster shots because you can't use the force (but neither could Grievous). He kept his heart and such because they wanted to keep his brain and personality.

Also the power draw wouldn't be that ridiculous since you can power a lightsaber with a few inches of hilt so that wouldn't be a big deal to include the design.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I thought "being rear end-difficult to create" and "once created, they're owned for life" were the reason you don't see everyone running around with them.

Yes, plus they aren't even that good if you're not force sensitive, they are just a really good sword if you can't block blaster shots with them.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I've played in a couple of similar games and I highly recommend the Interdictor + Torpedo Sphere method of dealing with SSDs or even a Death Star.

If you've got a good enough scout team you can even use them offensively by jumping into position and calculating the firing arcs (Only works on a stationary target like a Death Star) then jumping out and uploading the targeting data to the sphere which then jumps into the exact same spot and fires.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The only way an ISD gets severely chewed up by a Torpedo Sphere is if the ISD captain is none too bright - they'll get hurt, yeah, but not effortlessly swatted out of space.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Tralus_%28Galactic_Civil_War%29

There's some evidence that Torpedo Spheres make amazing mobile Golans with incredible firepower but when you're playing Star Wars you basically have to pick and choose the canon that you think makes most sense (SW has a lot of scale inconsistency issues, for example) and roll with it, so I understand if Your Star Wars doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Gilgameshback posted:

What's the significance of the Akubra hat in Australia? Is this like a cowboy hat, or some kind of fedora?

Ed sounds extremely awful.

I imagine it's more the suit all year round that is relevant to Australia. Akubra hat is kinda a cowboy hat I guess? It's a valid hat in many circumstances but it should never be paired with a suit.