Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tivac posted:

I've started mucking with it here: https://github.com/tivac/awful-reader

Still very much WIP. I also don't know exactly what the phone supports/doesn't support. Need to get the emulator installed. For now I'm just attempting general cleanup without changing too much of the visuals.

There's some elements that I need to ask you about & I'm not sure of the best venue for that. Email?

Sure, send me an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Here's how your updated css and js renders the page on the phone:

I like the quote style!

EDIT: The size of the viewport (as reported by the viewport function) is 320x480. If you need any help getting a project going to test your styles on an emulator, let me know.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 2, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Seems I missed out on the new beta, it says its not available on my phone: [removed]

Edit: VVVV Should have known that was the real source.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 2, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

kapinga posted:

Seems I missed out on the new beta, it says its not available on my phone:

No, you're on there. It's just typical Marketplace buggery. I'd just keep trying over the course of the day until it works for you.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 2, 2012

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Hey bootleg can I get in on the beta

Thanks!

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 6, 2012

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

bootleg robot posted:

Here's how your updated css and js renders the page on the phone:

I like the quote style!

EDIT: The size of the viewport (as reported by the viewport function) is 320x480. If you need any help getting a project going to test your styles on an emulator, let me know.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to clean that up some. Also I wonder WTF happened to the user info section.

Neat to see though, I like that quote style but I think I'm gonna make the bar narrower.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Tivac posted:

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to clean that up some. Also I wonder WTF happened to the user info section.

Neat to see though, I like that quote style but I think I'm gonna make the bar narrower.

I'm looking into it as well.

I'm going to edit this post a bit when I come back from lunch...or not. I made a new post instead.

I also built a tiny app that lets you test your styles. Download and install the WP7 SDK. I'll post the project here when I get off of work. It's pretty straightforward to use, just open up the MainPage.xaml.cs file and read the comments.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 3, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was on the first beta, but I don't appear to be on this one -- could you set me up? Live ID is username at gmail. Thanks :)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

loquacius posted:

I was on the first beta, but I don't appear to be on this one -- could you set me up? Live ID is username at gmail. Thanks :)
I'll add you this afternoon.

EDIT: Nasty quote + reply bug I need to track down

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 7, 2012

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am really really loving the vertical display mode. Well done.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

^^^ No problem, glad you like it. ^^^

Added loquacius to the beta.

Here is a link to the StyleTester App I wrote: MediaFire.

In Visual Studio, just add your html/javascript/css files to the project, set the build type of each file as "Content", copy them to isolated storage (there's an example of how to do this in the code), compile, then run.

Some assumptions and constraints to consider:
  • The background color is generated at runtime. This is to support light and dark themes.
  • Some elements with ids are generated at runtime. Examples are spoilers and hidden images.
  • The resulting page must not have elements that exceed the width of the page. Horizontal scrolling to view content sucks.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 3, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

I am really really loving the vertical display mode. Well done.

Testing quoting here

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 7, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Beta test interest

[Redacted]

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 3, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Beta test interest

Added.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Interesting bug that was affecting replies. All fixed now. Going to release a newer version of the beta today for the testers to try out, so you all can at least post and quote properly.

Peteee
Mar 24, 2007
Lives inside a 4 dimensional rhombus
Can I please have access to the beta.

edit: thanks

Peteee fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 6, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

Hey bootleg can I get in on the beta?

Thanks!

Peteee posted:

Added.

ndmonkey
Jan 9, 2003

"If smoking cigars is not permitted in heaven, I won't go." - Mark Twain
I'd love to test this out for you.
pthureen@hotmail.com

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

ndmonkey posted:

I'd love to test this out for you.
pthureen@hotmail.com

I'll add you this evening.

There's one more beta for 1.9 coming, although I feel like it's ready for release now. Besides bug fixes, I added in Tivac's quote styling (slightly modified), and links to threads in posts will now load up in the app.

EDIT: link test here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439182&pagenumber=1#post395823607... Nice, it works!

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 9, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I decided that this version is ready for release, so I'm not putting out another beta. When the app is available on the marketplace, I'll update the OP with the link to grab it. Of course, if you already have 1.8 installed, then your phone will automatically notify you. Cheers!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Simple reply test.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

bootleg robot posted:

Simple reply test.

Along with a quote test...

EDIT: And finally an edit test.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
On version 1.9.172 still have no new post indicator :/

Anything i Should do?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Also the first post on every page is the first post of the thread repeated.

Every other post is fine.

Also "bootleg robot" still shows up as SAPoster.

I won't poo poo up the thread anymore unless its helpful.

I was never in the beta and upgraded via the marketplace on the phone. Samsung Omnia.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Also the first post on every page is the first post of the thread repeated.

Every other post is fine.

Also "bootleg robot" still shows up as SAPoster.

I won't poo poo up the thread anymore unless its helpful.

I was never in the beta and upgraded via the marketplace on the phone. Samsung Omnia.

Check your User Control Panel settings to fix the new post indicator issue:

bootleg robot posted:

• The number of unread posts are missing from the threads in my bookmarks! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" to no.

• Every time I click a thread with unread posts, it takes me to the top of the page instead of the first unread post! In the User Control Panel, under Thread Tracking, set the option "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes.

Edited because I can't read. Is this on the horizontal view style or the vertical?

I think the reason for my name showing up as "SAPoster" is due to the control panel option Highlight the username of the "original poster" in thread posts -> yes. Try setting this to "no". Sorry for the inconvenience! I'll be playing with the different cp settings to ensure that user's custom configurations don't interfere with the app's functionality in later releases.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 16, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Updated the OP with the new marketplace link and QR code. Release 1.10 is right around the corner with some bugfixes for 1.9 (and probably will introduce new ones, hooray).

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

To everyone who has sent me crash reports: it would also be a big help if you added a little blurb in the email about what you were trying to do when the crash occured. Thanks! :)

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
I still have issues in this new release.
I don't get displayed the number of new posts.
When clicking a thread I always get sent to the first post on the first page. However if I choose go to page and go to the page with the last unread post it does jump to the new post.

I have "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" to no & "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

FTJ posted:

I still have issues in this new release.
I don't get displayed the number of new posts.
When clicking a thread I always get sent to the first post on the first page. However if I choose go to page and go to the page with the last unread post it does jump to the new post.

I have "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" to no & "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" to yes.

In your User CP, set Show bookmark category "star buttons" next to threads to no, then refresh your bookmarks. If you still aren't seeing the number of new posts in a thread, then do the following:

1. Enable debug mode in settings.
2. Refresh your bookmarks. This will generate debug output to a file.
3. Go back to settings, and tap the send debug button. Tap select a file, then tap the file name with the latest date.
4. Email the output to me with the email button.

When you click threads you've already read and the first post on the first page loads, is the text foreground color set to your theme color?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

bootleg robot posted:

In your User CP, set Show bookmark category "star buttons" next to threads to no, then refresh your bookmarks. If you still aren't seeing the number of new posts in a thread, then do the following:

1. Enable debug mode in settings.
2. Refresh your bookmarks. This will generate debug output to a file.
3. Go back to settings, and tap the send debug button. Tap select a file, then tap the file name with the latest date.
4. Email the output to me with the email button.

When you click threads you've already read and the first post on the first page loads, is the text foreground color set to your theme color?

I tried the suggestion and it still doesn't display unread posts. I am also not being sent to the first unread post.

I followed steps 1-4. Hope it helps.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any chance of a nicer tile/icon? The "A" is awfully drab.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I tried the suggestion and it still doesn't display unread posts. I am also not being sent to the first unread post.

I followed steps 1-4. Hope it helps.

Very helpful, thanks! On your user cp, set Highlight threads I've seen in a different color to yes. That should solve your issue...

quote:

Drab icon

I agree, but I'm no artist. I was thinking of taking one of the smilies and using it as an icon....

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

bootleg robot posted:

Very helpful, thanks! On your user cp, set Highlight threads I've seen in a different color to yes. That should solve your issue...

Huzzah! It worked! Thank you so much!

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

bootleg robot posted:

Bingo! Thanks.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

Came in here to post this, cheers.

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick
After the initial fumbling around trying to get the unread post count to work, this app is now perfect. Thanks so much for your efforts Bootleg, its made reading the forums on my phone that much easier and enjoyable!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I held off on submitting 1.10 to the marketplace to add one more (possibly) helpful feature. The thread list page has changed:

The other pivots, "new" and "read", are self-explanatory. I think that should do it for this release. Hopefully, it will be available to you guys next week. As always, I'll update the OP when it's available on the marketplace. Cheers!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

To everyone who has been sending crash reports directly to me, it's been a big help -- Thanks!

I whipped this up in a couple of minutes on photoshop. Yay or nay?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

bootleg robot posted:

I whipped this up in a couple of minutes on photoshop. Yay or nay?

That's a really great tile. Speaking of, any consideration for live-tile function? I honestly don't know what you'd put on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

JerikTelorian posted:

That's a really great tile. Speaking of, any consideration for live-tile function? I honestly don't know what you'd put on it though.

A background agent that checks your bookmarked threads for new posts would be just the best thing. The live tile could show number of new posts since last read.

• Locked thread