Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Object reference, then 9 for me also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Haha, I have no loving idea what that means. :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bootleg robot posted:

Haha, I have no loving idea what that means. :(

Post of the year.

It started after the last hotfix push.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Post of the year.

It started after the last hotfix push.

Nah, I don't care about the reference error (I know what that is), it's the html that I haven't the slightest clue where it's coming from.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

bootleg robot posted:

Nah, I don't care about the reference error (I know what that is), it's the html that I haven't the slightest clue where it's coming from.

Dump the HTTP headers too, might be a clue in there.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Dump the HTTP headers too, might be a clue in there.

I captured that too, will post when I get home from work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's not impossible you've run into a Windows Phone bug.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Http réponse headers when users are on mobile:

code:
[Server]: nginx, 
[Date]: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 21:29:20 GMT, 
[Cache-Control]: no-cache, private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, 
[Pragma]: no-cache, 
[Set-Cookie]: aduserid=1396819760; expires=Tue, 05-Apr-2016 21:29:20 GMT; path=/; domain=somethingawful.com,  
__csdrc=5aa8291794e01312; expires=Mon, 06-Apr-2015 21:29:20 GMT; path=/,  
sessionid=473950102; expires=Sat, 28-Mar-2015 21:29:20 GMT; path=/; domain=forums.somethingawful.com,  
sessionhash=c04300d9014e5cd5b5715df91a45a6eb; expires=Sat, 28-Mar-2015 21:29:20 GMT; path=/; domain=forums.somethingawful.com, 
[X-Registered]: 1, 
[X-Backend]: forums1, 
[Transfer-Encoding]: chunked, 
Thing is, there seems to be no difference in the headers when downloading through wifi.

Not sure if I asked this, but you guys are able to log out and log back in over data, right?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Did I say one more push? I meant one more one more push. This time you can switch between the log window and html view. I added even more verbose messages -- hopefully I can capture the full html request and response headers, along with some snippets of the content.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Smilies and tags are back.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Are the smilies animated in that big grid? I'm still putting off adding them to Awful.app and I'm preemptively trying to lower the bar.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Are the smilies animated in that big grid? I'm still putting off adding them to Awful.app and I'm preemptively trying to lower the bar.

I hope we get the best awful forum reader, we don't got much else going for our apps.

e: WP8 that is. My left nut for a good music player!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phuzun posted:

I hope we get the best awful forum reader, we don't got much else going for our apps.

e: WP8 that is. My left nut for a good music player!

I don't understand, we already have the best forum reader?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah, bad grammar on my part. Hope it remains the best.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Bigger longer crash messages when on mobile data. :(

Can't browse public forums either.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bootleg robot posted:

Not sure if I asked this, but you guys are able to log out and log back in over data, right?

You did, and we (I) can.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Nah, it's being ported right now :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Nah, it's being ported right now :v:

You don't seriously expect me to use something that's been tainted with Apple germs do you?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

You don't seriously expect me to use something that's been tainted with Apple germs do you?

Apple? :crossarms:
This is a universal app based on my Windows 8 code.

Likewise:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Apple? :crossarms:
This is a universal app based on my Windows 8 code.

Likewise:

Oh, I thought you were porting the iOS version for some reason. In that case please proceed. I'm sure you understand the need for stringent quarantine procedures in these evil, iOS device filled times.

(though I'm not sure why we need two competing readers, surely it would be more effective to collaborate?)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

(though I'm not sure why we need two competing readers, surely it would be more effective to collaborate?)

Not really. We have different approaches on how to handle issues (Note: Bootleg's handles um' better than me), and what features we want to add. I also want to try on my own to find better solutions and programming approaches. I think with each program I make my code gets better and better (or at least more logical and less insane) as I find better ways to do things. I don't want to screw up his program with my lovely code basically.

It's not really competing anyway. With more Awful apps comes more developers and users bringing new features to the table. We all influence each other and get us thinking about how to make our apps better. For example, I totally took the idea for the front page functions from his app and added it to mine.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Here's a gist involving what I think are items relevant to the issue:

https://gist.github.com/bootlegrobot/10158858

The first entry is a log of a user experiencing the bookmarks/forums issue on a data connection. The second entry is a code snippet of where the Object reference is generated. The last entry is a code snippet of where the web request is being made to the server.

The app is receiving some malformed or empty html, which causes the parser to bail and generate an error message (the one you see). However, I'm directing the html to the log display before any parsing is done. So the error message is the result of the large issue (why are the networks delivering different html served from the same source), not the cause.

Think I'm going to need some outside help here. Thanks to the testers for sending me these logs and screenshots.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It quite smells like a transparent proxy breaking things. I wonder if there's any reliable way to detect the presence of one from inside a WP app.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

bootleg robot posted:

The first entry is a log of a user experiencing the bookmarks/forums issue on a data connection. The second entry is a code snippet of where the Object reference is generated. The last entry is a code snippet of where the web request is being made to the server.

The app is receiving some malformed or empty html, which causes the parser to bail and generate an error message (the one you see). However, I'm directing the html to the log display before any parsing is done. So the error message is the result of the large issue (why are the networks delivering different html served from the same source), not the cause.

Think I'm going to need some outside help here. Thanks to the testers for sending me these logs and screenshots.

This is kind of interesting. Who are the mobile providers? Maybe they do some crazy rear end compression to lower data usage and you're hitting a corner case? Or their mobile connection is unreliable.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

Can you dump the HTML string before it goes to the HTML parser? Right after html = western.GetString(bytes, 0, bytes.Length); dump the string html.

edit: Also which HTML parser are you using?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

edit: Also which HTML parser are you using?

HtmlAgilityPack, the same one I use in my app.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think I'm having the same problem others are, except over both mobile data AND wifi. :( Nothing is loading other than the front page, in either the release or the regular beta, under either data or wifi. I also tried reinstalling and that didn't help. I can log in and out just fine and the forums load through IE. Unlike the others, I'm on a Lumia (1020, all updates installed).

I can test out another wifi connection tomorrow, but I suspect it won't help. It just started happening today, and only this app seems to be affected. So, uh, add me to the hotfix beta pretty please? :shobon:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I think I'm having the same problem others are, except over both mobile data AND wifi. :( Nothing is loading other than the front page, in either the release or the regular beta, under either data or wifi. I also tried reinstalling and that didn't help. I can log in and out just fine and the forums load through IE. Unlike the others, I'm on a Lumia (1020, all updates installed).

I can test out another wifi connection tomorrow, but I suspect it won't help. It just started happening today, and only this app seems to be affected. So, uh, add me to the hotfix beta pretty please? :shobon:

I have this on beta and normal app, also 1020. I just get a "more..." button under bookmarks, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sounds like an epedemic, or maybe :choco: changed something that broke everything.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Sounds like an epedemic, or maybe :choco: changed something that broke everything.

It would break more apps if that were the case. As far as I can tell mine still works... or at least, no one as told me yet.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
That just started on my phone too. It was working just fine an hour ago. I tried logging out and back in and it did that just fine, but still nothing other than the front page is loading.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I'm getting the same error as well now, over wifi. Something is happening to the content stream...

As you can see, the content is nothing but gibberish. What a showstopper. This does explain that single character result on the logging display, I suppose.

pokeyman posted:

I didn't animate them. There's an open source library I could use to do so, but I think it's not worth implementing.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Okay, so I fired up Fiddler and used it as a remote proxy for all my phone's http traffic. It appears that the content is arriving in encoded chunks instead of all at once. I'm looking into how to deal with that on the app side. I'm still wondering why this happened all of a sudden -- is that a server side change?

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Option 1: Use the System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class and wrap it around the response stream if WebResponse.ContentEncoding contains "gzip" (as seen here).

Option 2: Don't send Accept-Encoding headers, like you're doing here.

Since it requires practically no work, Option 2 is easy. Since cell phone data is metered and slow, Option 1 is correct.

Choose your destiny.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

TwelveBaud posted:

Option 1: Use the System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class and wrap it around the response stream if WebResponse.ContentEncoding contains "gzip" (as seen here).

Option 2: Don't send Accept-Encoding headers, like you're doing here.

Since it requires practically no work, Option 2 is easy. Since cell phone data is metered and slow, Option 1 is correct.

Choose your destiny.

Can I clone a mini-you and keep him or her in my pocket?

Option 1 is best, but it looks like portable libraries don't have access to GZipStream (or maybe it's an external library I have to add to the project). As an alternative, I set the AutomaticDecompression property of my HttpClientHandler to GZip and Deflate. Everything seems to be working now.

That certainly explains why we got different results over data and wifi -- but why did it just happen all of a sudden to everyone, regardless of network?

Thanks for your help!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does it have something to do with OpenSSL?
There was a vulnerability in it and Lowtax just upgraded it today.

edit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3623457

edit 2:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3501654&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post428053133

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So, uh... It seems to work again now. Posting from the app.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah it works now. I bet the mobile providers proxy w compression to maximize data availability.

bootleg I didn't get the test version push, if I still need it.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Sadly not suddenly working for me on EE in the UK :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Sadly not suddenly working for me on EE in the UK :(

Yeah, everyone will probably have intermittent problems until I release the fix.

It's out on beta now, and should be available within 30 minutes or so. I also rolled in the code tag selector so you guys can test that as well. The quicker things get tested, the quicker I can push it to the public.

• Locked thread