Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have been using a handful of Unifi AP's (LR and standard) for a handful of projects and been VERY happy with them. Easy to manage/setup and no issues so far. I am ordering more for our 5 acres and I hope to setup a small mesh network around where the main buildings are. Should cost under $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I installed two Unifi AP's in our brick/cement/metal framed/U-shaped office a few weeks back to replace two Airport Extremes. My users had actually stopped using Wifi for most things due to the terrible performance of the Airports. One AP is on each side of the U, nearly across from each other. Installation was a breeze, reception is full bars in every room, and no one has had a single complaint. Not bad for $140 in AP's. I ordered two more for our second site, but I do not think I will need both. One should do, that and they are so cheap, having a spare won't break the bank.

I really want to demo their Pro model coming out.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

adorai posted:

You can do it with ubiquity.

How? Your looking at $100 per camera. He is pretty much screwed. Even using "cheap" cameras, unless that price doesn't include a DVR or wiring/install, there is just no way. They need to nearly triple their budget just to cover the wiring/install.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McGlockenshire posted:

I think I'm one of the only people that has had bad luck with the UniFi devices.

After some period of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, every Android device in the building is suddenly no longer able to connect to the AP. They'll get caught in a loop where they constantly disconnect and reconnect after trying to obtain a DHCP lease. Sometimes iOS devices act the same way, and we've been only seen a Windows device suffer the same problem once.

RMA'd the unit, the replacement does the same thing. Tried the 3.1.1 beta firmware, no luck. Their support guys have no idea what's going on, and we can't reproduce the problem on demand.

What are the sane alternatives? We only need one AP, as long as it can cover the same range as the UniFi LR. We don't need anything remotely fancy, just WPA2 and the ability to assign a tagged VLAN to an SSID.

I still want to get my hands on the EdgeRouter Lite...
I'm in the same boat- except with latest gen Apple products. It only affects RMBP, iPad3/4, MBA.
Everything else is fine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I think I am done messing around with Ubiquiti AP's for the time being- At least the AC and Pro version. I have three here in our main office and support can't seem to help me resolve our Apple products connectivity issues. I switched to the AC's in hopes it was better- but they seem to fail every month. The units start dropping connections and eventually power down and refuse to restart- I end up having to unmount them, leave them unplugged for a few hours, and reset them. I'm wishing I had kept the original Unifi's at this point.

Recommendations for a non-cloud based access point?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Some time ago I was complaining about the issues our main site was having with the Ubiquiti AC AP's we were using. We were dropping users, had poor signal, and Apple devices just plain did not connect. After being told there was yet again, still no budget to replace them, decided to update the controller/AP's one last time. (This was a month or so ago, after their last stable release just came out.) Everything works. And I mean everything. AP to AP handoff works. Apple devices work. We have great signal in all our offices. I'm half pissed that it took this long to release a fix and half amazed that everything just works.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 18, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thread related question:
I have ~15 locations with between 1 and 10 AP's each. It's a complete mess- hardware from every vendor and nothing quite works. I've had a rather poor experience with a Powercloud AP's and would prefer to avoid paying monthly for a subscription service. I would like the ability to use centralized management, but not initially due to network constraints (the next part). We do have heavy wifi users that would benefit from AC. With all of that in mind, what can you recommend?

Since we don't have a enterprise networking thread:
I'm standardizing equipment across 15 locations, starting with our HQ. It's a pretty much tear-out scenario here of all switchgear (HP) and AP's (Powercloud). Our other offices are a mix of Cisco/Dell/HP. The only standardized bit are our Checkpoint firewalls. For our HQ, I have two floors with 196 ports each, and a mix of 1GB, POE, and 10GB- but this does not include the 8 racks of gear that need 10GB/1GB. I started looking at Juniper's EX4200/4550 series due to their virtual chassis and lego like ability to expand. I fully expect high utilization due to our business (imagery), we mainly deal in thousands of 25-250MB images per job. I would take full advantage of the (2) 10GB uplinks on each switch back to the cores (the 4200's won't be that heavily taxed, but might as well use it). Thankfully I have two OM3 cables between the floors, and a single mode run to our dmark. Has anyone used these in production? A friends business uses them exclusively for their DC's and just can't say enough good things about them. My other option is to look at the Cisco 4506-E and Nexus 7010 like one of our larger offices use- but all their gear is several years old and I would like to move away from the no-redundancy way they setup everything up. I'm sure there's plenty of features/models I'm missing and any recommendations are welcome. I'm going to start looking at Cisco's equivalents tonight.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Aquila posted:

Against my better judgement I put a ubnt AP AC Lite in my mom's house to replace a wrt-54gl running tomato 1.23 (lol 8 years old). 3-5 regular users with 2 devices each and they say it's solid. I am very please with this.

One oddity, the controller wouldn't accept my password the second time I logged into it, a little weird and I'm not sure if I'll be able to reset things if I need to. So far it was so easy to set up I think I would actually recommend one of these ap's for a relatives if they need better wifi.

I'm running quite a few of them and so far the hardest part was attaching all of them to a centralized controller. Definitely a fan- ours have been rock solid.

• Locked thread