Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah, I've read that you leave it on to help the meat stay on the bone during cooking.

I have also heard this.

Pork ribs: membrane off
Beef ribs: membrane on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I have also heard this.

Pork ribs: membrane off
Beef ribs: membrane on

I've been just scoring the membrane on pork ribs instead of completely removing. I also like my ribs to be basically falling apart, so ymmv.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, since I think this is also the defacto grilling thread (apologies if not) - I need a new gas grill.

I've had an ancient 20+ year Weber Genesis (propane) that is still trucking along just fine. I basically fully rebuilt it a few years back and it is working great, although the cast tub for the firebox is finally starting to rot on one side. Why I need a new gas grill is that we have finally had our yard fone up nice, and we ran a nat gas line to where the bbq and smokers will live so I can free myself from the tyranny of filling propane tanks.

I've had great luck with Weber. I grew up with Webers. I have this Genesis, a 22" kettle, and a 22" WSM. I love that you can easily get parts when things like burners finally burn through, etc. I've always thought they were pretty well built. My default would be to look at getting something from their summit line (honestly probably the newer grill center since I don't intend for this grill to need to move easily). Money isn't really a huge issue, but I'm not looking to spend $10k+ - but I will spend money for a grill that is well built and I won't regret a decade from now.

That said - is there any other brands I am not aware of I should be considering in the high end gas grill space? I really don't have any priors that aren't Weber, and want to make sure I'm not missing something better. Thanks!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I'm still lovin my weber genesis 2 i got 4 years ago. The grates probably need replacing next year. Sorry i cant help there. I do wish i had the forsight to explore the possibility of a natural gas line install and getting that version of the grill. Its something that would be nice if thats an option at your home.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you get a gravity smoker you can have both a great smoker and great grill. :getin:

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

ROJO posted:

Alright, since I think this is also the defacto grilling thread (apologies if not) - I need a new gas grill.

I've had an ancient 20+ year Weber Genesis (propane) that is still trucking along just fine. I basically fully rebuilt it a few years back and it is working great, although the cast tub for the firebox is finally starting to rot on one side. Why I need a new gas grill is that we have finally had our yard fone up nice, and we ran a nat gas line to where the bbq and smokers will live so I can free myself from the tyranny of filling propane tanks.

I've had great luck with Weber. I grew up with Webers. I have this Genesis, a 22" kettle, and a 22" WSM. I love that you can easily get parts when things like burners finally burn through, etc. I've always thought they were pretty well built. My default would be to look at getting something from their summit line (honestly probably the newer grill center since I don't intend for this grill to need to move easily). Money isn't really a huge issue, but I'm not looking to spend $10k+ - but I will spend money for a grill that is well built and I won't regret a decade from now.

That said - is there any other brands I am not aware of I should be considering in the high end gas grill space? I really don't have any priors that aren't Weber, and want to make sure I'm not missing something better. Thanks!

I'd honestly stick with Weber as once you are used to the quality of their products everything else seems flimsy. I've got a 10 year old Genesis SE that I actually converted from propane to NG when we bought a house with an NG hookup and not having to dick with propane has been the greatest thing ever.

One thing I'd recommend though in your search is to find a Weber "Premiere" dealer - in my case it's a local Ace Hardware, as they will have some additional options that you won't find a Home Depot and the like. The Genesis SE that I have has a painted exterior but fully stainless steal interior and it came with the extra sear burner.

If you haven't seen them check out the new Summit line as those look really sweet. I guess the one you will actually be able to set a temperature and then it'll keep itself right at that.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Hey so I smoked some chicken maybe a month or two ago and found it in the back of the fridge today. Is it ok to eat? It smells like smoked chicken and not bad. They used to use smoking as a preservation method, right? It's probably ok? Right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do not eat that.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I ate it

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Slow Smoking Meat: I'm a Microbiological Experiment, Dumbass.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Slow smoking meat: do not eat that; I ate it

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

Hey so I smoked some chicken maybe a month or two ago and found it in the back of the fridge today. Is it ok to eat? It smells like smoked chicken and not bad. They used to use smoking as a preservation method, right? It's probably ok? Right?

Lmao a month is long and you're saying it could have been two?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Well...how was it? Don't leave us hanging

In personal news, we just moved back to a house and cannot wait to break out the smoker next weekend

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I put it on a salad, some kale from the garden, cheese, almonds. It was good. Afterwards I started to feel really gross but I think it was mental. I drank some coffee and was ok. I'll let you know if I puke.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smoking meat doesn't preserve it unless you at least cure and dry it.

You ate 1-2 month old cooked chicken. No difference from taking a rotisserie chicken from the store, putting it in the fridge, and eating it a month/s later.

That said, it's probably fine, just not 'preserved'.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

I put it on a salad, some kale from the garden, cheese, almonds. It was good. Afterwards I started to feel really gross but I think it was mental. I drank some coffee and was ok. I'll let you know if I puke.

Eh, rotten meat has a smell and a slimy texture. You probably would have noticed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Parasites are gonna erupt from your stomach any minute now dude

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Still ok everyone. We did it together thanks for your overwhelming support

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Buddy of mine had planned to come over last Friday for some smoked goods and a couple of brews, cancelled half-way through the week because something had come up, and then, Friday morning, let me know that he - surprisingly - was free for the afternoon again, and if my offer was still standing.
I had promised him my next iteration of burnt ends, so I was in a bit of a pickle on account of not being able to grab pork belly until noon, so that left me with just under 5 hours to a) buy poo poo b) fire up the smoker c) speed-run burnt ends.

Store didn't have bone-less pork belly, so I grabbed two slabs of bone-in and just cut the bones/cartilage out after separating it

Tossed the pork cubes in my home-made rub and threw them on the smoker. Rotated them around conveyor-style between the main grate (105C/205F) and the top grate (130C/270F)

Threw some sausages and Döner-style skewers into the chimney-chamber as a backup-plan

Had the burnt ends covered for just under an hour and slid the pan as close to the firebox to turn up the heat, then uncovered it, and conveyor-belt finished my pork cubes bit-by-bit. Also moved the sausages an skewers to the main chamber to finish them up

Bit of a hastened-approach, but the burnt ends came out as excellent as one could expect considering the shortened timeline
The meat was a lil overcooked due to the higher temps I threw at it, but the fat had rendered perfectly, resulting in a good overall flavor-cube-experience

My guest tried their damnedest, but ultimately threw in the towel upon being faced with multiple runs of me filling up the meat-stacks

Just when they thought they were safe from continuous administration of delicious smoked meats, I vaccuumed a bunch of the servings for them to take home

In retrospect, vaccuuming my hastened burnt ends probably wasn't the right call since the compression would probably push some of the moisture out, but my overall takeaway was that my latest attempt yielded some valuable data on their preparation for the next time I don't have to speedrun them

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

How do you get the little poop ridges on the kebabs

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

king

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Murgos posted:

Eh, rotten meat has a smell and a slimy texture. You probably would have noticed.

yeah. like 90% of the time you can just use your judgement. just gotta be careful of things that can contain botulism because that doesn't give off a smell or a taste (plus it usually pops up in fermented or preserved stuff that's already gonna have a strong smell or taste)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So not concerning smoked meat but the topic at hand:

I went to my cousin's house for Easter (two weeks ago), she gave me some leftover ham (fully cooked) in a plastic container. It's been in my fridge since, and I'm kicking myself for not vacuum sealing and freezing it.

What are the odds it is still safe to eat? Assuming it's not slimy or smelly. I haven't checked it yet. I hate being wasteful so I'd hate to throw it out, but just not sure if I should trust it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So not concerning smoked meat but the topic at hand:

I went to my cousin's house for Easter (two weeks ago), she gave me some leftover ham (fully cooked) in a plastic container. It's been in my fridge since, and I'm kicking myself for not vacuum sealing and freezing it.

What are the odds it is still safe to eat? Assuming it's not slimy or smelly. I haven't checked it yet. I hate being wasteful so I'd hate to throw it out, but just not sure if I should trust it.

hams are cured so there's gonna be a large enough salt content that they stay good for a long rear end time. definitely a 'use your common sense' move. as long as it looks and smells fine, isn't slimy etc, you're good to go

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nobody can tell you, but if it smells and feels fine it probably is. Hams can be very or not very salty and fridge temps are also variables.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both. I might pop it all in the smoker and get it up to 165 as a preventative step.

Smoking related, I need a sanity check: I'm going to make my own meatballs. My basic plan is to make the meatballs, smoke to 165 IT, then vacuum seal and freeze them. They're for pasta so I'd simmer them in the sauce, back up to 165 IT.

Does this plan sound viable? Is there anything I should change?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Store didn't have bone-less pork belly, so I grabbed two slabs of bone-in

I'm sorry, what is this?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

drat I wanted to see another guy die but i guess these pics of smoked meat will have to do

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thank you both. I might pop it all in the smoker and get it up to 165 as a preventative step.

Smoking related, I need a sanity check: I'm going to make my own meatballs. My basic plan is to make the meatballs, smoke to 165 IT, then vacuum seal and freeze them. They're for pasta so I'd simmer them in the sauce, back up to 165 IT.

Does this plan sound viable? Is there anything I should change?

A secret is to freeze the meatballs and then vacuum seal it so the moisture doesn't get squeezed out of them when sealing.

This technique also applies pretty much all fragile items like berries and things like that. Vacuum sealing extends the life of frozen items - it has little effect on the actual freezing process.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm sorry, what is this?

Should probably have written "pork belly without the bones removed" vs. OG belly where I had to remove them myself.

It's not as much of a chore to remove the bones and cartilage as it is risky because depending on the cuts, you can end up with pork belly bits you have to cut up again, making them cook unevenly vs. the bigger bits

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm sorry, what is this?

The spare rib cut is actually what pork belly is attached to. So, a bone in pork belly would be the whole untrimmed rib section.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've had a ham lying in brine (with nitrides) in my fridge for almost a month now. It hasn't really darkened as much as I thought it would.

On april 20th according to the calculator it should be ready to smoke.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

That seems like a very appropriately day for smoking :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Smoke meats if got eats