Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

bunnielab posted:

It is about to start storming and I still have like 1.5-2 hours to go.

Should I ride it out or foil them and finish in the oven?
Late to the party, but you don't have to foil ribs for the oven. I don't have any outdoor space, so I do all my ribs in the oven, and no foil.

magnetic posted:

100 lbs hog is about perfect, and that yields 5-6 shoulders
:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Does anyone have a favorite upright rib rack?

Bonus complication: I don't have any outdoor space (NYC apartment), so I do it all in my oven with amazingribs.com's indoor recipe. Ideally I'm looking for something I could put in/over a rimmed cookie sheet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

cornface posted:

Have you tried just rolling them and holding them in place with wooden skewers? Not as fancy, but gets the job done.
It's just a regular old oven, so with basically zero air circulation, I don't think this would get great results -- even if it's a looser roll, I think the insides still wouldn't brown and might not cook evenly.

MixxMaster posted:

I have two of these. They are solid and work great. I did 10 racks in my WSM 18" for Independence Day.

http://www.amazon.com/Outset-Dual-Rib-Roasting-Rack/dp/B0037NZ7BY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373874271&sr=8-3&keywords=rib+rack
Sold! Thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't have a WSM, but I have yet to meet the cooking mess that couldn't be fixed by soaking with Dawn. Use paper towels to scoop out whatever gunk you can get your hands on. Squirt a generous amount of Dawn in the bottom, then fill with really hot water. You might want to do this outside to make sure the grease doesn't go down your sink. Come back a day later, dump and rinse, then take it inside to scrub with more hot water and Dawn.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

I didn't think it was hitting the bone, but thighs are tough to find a good place to stab.

I was under the assumption you wanted to keep the fat on until post cooking to add moisture. Is it a better plan to trim anything I spoke as much as possible?
It goes by cut. Legs are dark meat; they're naturally juicy and it's easy to make them greasy. You don't need to remove 100% of the fat and skin if you don't want to, but you should at least get rid of the excess flaps. Also be sure they can drain well instead of swimming in their grease.

You can tell when chicken is done because the juices will run clear. Or stick the thermometer in the fat part in the crook of the leg. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fast-reading thermometer so you can check a couple spots. It must have been really under to get everyone sick.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Anyone got any good all-purpose dry rub recipes? Google essentially did give up and buy premade which has worked in the past but I bet homemade is leaps and bounds above.
The one from amazingribs is good as a base that you can then play with.

If you want premade, I like Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas or BBQ 3000 (haven't tried 3001 yet). Penzey's also has the best paprika for the amazingribs one.

I agree, though, it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. I mean, if all you've tried is like McCormick's, then yeah there's a lot of improvement. But once you get into good rubs, whether your own variations or premade, they're all very good. It doesn't make too much difference.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
White bark as in birch?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Country style "ribs" seem to be cheapest and easiest to find in grocery stores here (NYC).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I love dry rub barbecue, but I have no outside space. It's not quite the same, but there's definitely a lot you can do in your oven -- just google for it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What I've been doing in the oven so far is low/slow/moist at first, then finishing with the broiler or high temp. I like that, but report back if you try it the other way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Trastion posted:

So as I posted earlier I made 9 racks of ribs and a whole chicken (sorry didn't take after pics) for 8 people yesterday. Well 4 people canceled about a half hour before they were supposed to show up. And the chicken was for my wife, and any others, who won't eat the ribs. So we ended up having 9 racks of ribs for 3 people. We ate a little over 2 racks and I sent each of the guys home with 2 racks each.

So I will be eating ribs for this whole week. Good thing I like them> :) I'm also taking a rack to a friend at work tomorrow though.
How do you reheat them?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What I've done so far (I want to say it was recommended by the amazing ribs guy) is: take a paper towel, get it wet, squeeze out almost all of the water; wrap ribs in it (on a plate); nuke at 50% of microwave power for 10 minutes. It works OK, but I'm still curious about other options.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

I discovered today that the ribs I was planning to smoke had apparently gone bad. I'm guessing the freezer door getting left cracked open a couple of weeks ago was what killed them :downsgun:

Oddly enough, nothing else in the freezer seems to have been affected. Broccoli, chicken, sausage, all fine. Even the pork chops that were bought, frozen, and then pulled out of the freezer to thaw all on the same day as the ribs were fine when I grilled them up last night. Not the ribs though! They reeked of death as soon as I cut open the package. I got a second opinion from the fiance, and into the trash they went- three whole racks of baby back ribs! :cry:

Fortunately, I got them from costco, so that was only $30 wasted...
I've got really bad news, dude. When you first open a pack of vacuum-sealed meat, it absolutely reeks like death even when the meat's good. It's just something about the process. Pull out the ribs, put them on something else, and smell the actual meat a few minutes later. It'll smell fine and you can go ahead. Sorry bro :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can google "vacuum packed ribs smell" and see that it's super common. It is gross, but it's not the meat that smells, it's just the packaging. If you give it a minute and smell the meat itself, it'll be fine. If you're using it before the sell-by date, and the other meat it was stored with is perfect, and the ribs themselves smell fine, it's all good. All the vacuum-packed pork ribs I've made have been the same way -- I only get mine from one source, and maybe some producers are more prone to it than others?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Cimber posted:

Local butcher is selling USDA Prime baby back ribs for 2.99/lb.

Goddamn i wish i had a bigger freezer.
Are they by any chance vacuum-sealed? Meat lasts disturbingly longer when it is, like 1-2+ months in the fridge.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wouldn't that be just 2-3 shoulders? To me, that doesn't seem like enough for 50. Pork shoulders are so cheap I would aim pretty high, worst case you have delicious leftovers you can send home with guests (or hoard).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
While scaling up for a monster pork shoulder, I hosed up with the liquid smoke (my apartment has no outside space, so I can only fake barbecue). It's bad, guys. And I have two huge containers of pulled pork to get through. And there's only one of me.

Any ideas to diffuse the flavor? I can't do tomatoes, so no chili, and I don't like drowning things in sauce.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have favorite rubs, but I don't think I've ever had a bad rub. It's fun to play with because it's so low-stakes. When I'm cooking for groups, I often split racks of ribs in half and do a different rub on each half, then give everyone one rib with each rub and make them pick favorites. It sounds a little autistic, but it's fun for everyone, and it's always all over the place.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've been looking everywhere for pork shank. Where did you find whole legs?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What is your favorite choice of pre-packaged rubs? I have been using Plowboy's Yardbird rub for pork and chicken and Bovine Bold for briskets. I have really like them both. They don't have MSG and don't seem to be full of chemicals. I went with those two at the suggestions of many people on the BBQ Brethren forum. I see a lot of others but don't know what to venture out next.
Penzey's are all good, but my favorite of theirs is Barbecue of the Americas.

You can also just make your own. It's basically impossible to gently caress up, you're going to end up with something tasty regardless. I often cut ribs into half- or third-racks and do a different rub on each piece, and make people compare for fun.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Looks beautiful! What did you rub it with that makes the grease so orange?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That guy was high on his own supply. It's illegal to use hormones in poultry (all poultry, no matter how chic or how factory-farm) in the US. They're big because commercial breeders breed for size.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-hormones-chicken-poultry-usda-fda-2016-3
https://globalnews.ca/news/1609753/study-shows-chicken-size-quadruples-in-60-years/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

CapnBry posted:

I am making a pork loin roast out out on the grill for dinner tonight-- sliced open, filled with pancetta garlic and rosemary, and rolled back up. I was just browsing google image search to see if there was something out there that looked appealing in case I wanted to change my mind and it is astounding how many people have posted recipes on their food blogs that clearly do not know there is a difference between the tenderloin and the loin. These are different things, do you also confuse a beef sirloin and tenderloin?! Also jeez, don't cook it to 160F.
If you search for pork loin, google will also give you tenderloin recipes, and vice versa. It's one of those things where they're trying to be helpful but failing, so that's definitely not helping.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Can we get a mod challenge in this forum: gitmo moneyson can only post pics of 5 different grilled or smoked meats in his next 5 posts, must include at least 1 pork butt
This thread is for smoking, not grilling. 5 posts with smoked meat

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"Your next 5 posts should be pics of smoked meat"

*posts 100 times about the concept of smoking meat into a cinder*
*posts no pics*

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's not a great presentation or a great photo, both of which you know, but it doesn't look underdone to me. It did obviously lose a lot of liquid in the cutting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A big colony of pregnant ferals isn't :3:, it's :gonk:. Look up TNR resources in your area.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you just want to play with fire, which I understand, you can get a little backyard fire pit and poke it with sticks and throw a handful of dried leaves in it. You can do that at reasonable times of your choice, and not for 8-hour stretches beginning at ungodly hours.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How about saving up for a pork shoulder first

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've had amazing smoked prime rib (at a p fancy restaurant, haven't experimented with it myself). I would base the temps on Kenji's reverse-seared prime rib as a starting point.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you're using Penzey's or Spice House spices, you have to pull back in general because they are a lot stronger than McCormick or whatever's been on your shelf for years.

But rubs are really something where you can improvise with no harm done. If you want to halve the ginger next time, go for it. If you think it could take just a hint of cinnamon, give it a shot. It's easy to experiment and hard to make something actually bad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't blame anyone for not reading it all, but he wanted the cuts to be made on the bone side because he wanted to pull the bones out and turn it into a mcrib sandwich.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They make fish tweezers, and it's a little easier if you curve a filet into a little hill so the bones stand out, but it's so much easier to do it after cooking. (Hot cooking -- if you cold smoke it you might be stuck.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've seen plenty of places selling beef for cheaper than pork ribs.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

he's also making poo poo up about the price.
Details plz. I only buy pork ribs at $2/lb or less, and I've never seen beef ribs come even sort of close. Where are all these places with such cheap beef ribs? I seriously want to know because I will buy and eat them if I can get them that cheap.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That is kinda interesting but it doesn't have any data for any ribs?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Tomahawk steaks by definition have that big-rear end bone sticking out, causing it to look like a tomahawk. Your butcher must have cut it off, presumably for your convenience. It's not worth getting mad about since the meat is the same either way, but that's just a thick ribeye and not a tomahawk.

I definitely wouldn't french the existing bone, since gnawing off what's attached to the bone is the best part. I would trim off a good amount of that excess fat past the eye, at least to that streak of lean, maybe even farther.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The trouble is it's hard to find actual liquid smoke; I think Wright's is the only findable brand. Colgin's, which is the top brand, is all molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry for the imprecision, I should have said Colgin's features heavily and tastes of molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc. It also includes water and "Natural _______ Smoke Flavor" so technically, yes, it is not all non-smoke ingredients, just mostly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can use citric acid instead of lemon juice to keep your rub dry and not mess with your bark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We definitely don't have cuts like that here. Here a pork shoulder is either whole or half, but either way it comes with the skin on and the bones in, and it includes the top of the arm. On the other hand, it's also under $1/lb.

With that cut, tbh I would be tempted to do a pork pot roast, it just looks made for it. But it would also be delicious smoked or as carnitas