Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Usually I fry the turkey, but we had a bunch of friends over for a mock thanksgiving and I felt like trying a smoked turkey.

Got a 12 lb bird, 12 hours in an apple juice, salt, brown sugar brine and air-dried overnight. Rubbed it with olive oil and some homemade Cajun seasoning, stuffed it with onion, herbs, and green apple, and smoked it with Apple wood for about an hour, then heat only.

I had no idea how long to cook it and I certainly didn't want 10 people waiting to bring it to temp but the whole process could have been done in about 3 hours. Once it got to 150 I kept it there for another couple hours without smoke, then finished it right as people arrived. 165 in the breast, about 170 in the thigh, rest for 30 mins.

Came out better than I could have hoped. Great alternative to the fryer especially if you need the oven space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

sellouts posted:

Cook stuffing separately and spatchcock it next time. It'll go on about 2 hours and be even more moist.

The stuffing was aromatic only. I went back and forth about a spatchcock but decided I wanted the whole bird look. Next time!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Thats it. I'm smoking a turkey this year.

How did the skin turn out? Rubbery? Chewy? Crisp?

Crisp, but not quite crunchy in most spots. Definitely not rubbery.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bay leaves...orange peel...cloves...what else? Brown sugar? Ginger? Sounds familiar.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

This

It's a great brine and I've had lots of success with it. It aint broke so I aint fixing it.

Yup, same one I used on the last page. It was great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Probably sweeter stuff like cherry or apple?

Sure you can stuff it though the cavity is probably smaller. What kind of duck? Wild or farm raised?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pretty sure that exact conversation just happened.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Put together a team for a local fundraiser/competition, https://www.hogsforthecause.org. This was our first year and boy it was a doozie.

Picked up our whole hog from a local farmer. One of the team members owns a hog farm but he wasn't too keen on using his hogs for the whole hog competition, so we went to another source. We did use his hogs for our hog's head cheese, shoulder, and ribs we put into the competition, though. It's great, marbled pork. Awesome stuff.

The guy who picked up the dressed pig didn't have a cooler big enough for it, so he brought it to the grounds like it was Billy Batts after a night at The Suite bar. Sorry for the lovely quality on this one.

We started setting up and the ground was a little wet. We were expecting some more rain and mud over the weekend, so we set up plywood and palettes and put our equipment up so it wouldn't sink in the mud.

We got all our stuff out and ready to go. Friday morning at 9:00 was the scheduled meat check in, fires to start after check in. We would be serving food to people from 3-8, with all the teams throwing parties on Friday night, with the competition and main day being Saturday.

Well, Friday morning started with a little drizzle. You can see our main smoker in the middle of this picture with the propane tank up on it.

The drizzle didn't stop. Eventually the plywood was all submerged. I heard later we got 3 inches in about 30 minutes. It just kept coming. You can see our wood taking water, and the rotisserie in the middle of this shot.

So we moved a bunch of stuff up, including our rotisserie for the whole hog and most of the party equipment. The organizers canceled Friday, so we started cooking food for ourselves and, well, having fun. Eventually, the rain stopped and the sun came out, but the damage was done.

We still had work do to--the party was on for tomorrow, so we started prepping. In two feet of water.

Eventually the sun went down so we started a fire and began drying out the wood. Some of us slept.

Game day! We got everything fired up. The whole hog has been going for several hours; the smoker is not yet fired up as a lot of our wood is wet and there is no source of water---the organizers were supposed to have some but the deluge pretty much screwed everything up. No plan survives contact. Luckily, a lot of the product we were selling was pre-made by us, so we still could get things ready to fundraise.

Bacon caramel popcorn

Cracklins

Hogs head cheese (in drier climes)

97 teams in the competition, including some serious professionals in ridiculous setups that never flooded. Our sauce came in 6th. Our whole hog was 25th (probably not 95 whole hogs if we're honest but drat it was good). Sold out of cracklins and popcorn of course... Despite our woodpile being two feet underwater, we somehow managed to get all the main categories in for judging, and sold about $1300 worth of food. Unfortunately the delay on the smoker meant we didn't get our shoulders moved out from a spare grill to the smoker until the afternoon, and they could have used another 4 hours. But they still scored in the middle of the pack.

All in all it was a pretty fun time...just hope it doesn't rain like that next year.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

mastajake posted:

Nice job! Looks like you had a blast and made some good stuff. I always wondered what the advantage of smoking whole hog was?

It was a competition category, but the advantage is you get shoulder, ham, ribs, cheek, hocks, loin... :)

Pulling the juiciest, tastiest strips off of a spit hog and popping them in your mouth is a fun experience.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Great effort post! I want that salmon but the stuff is like $25-30 a pound down here.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is that rice a roni lmao

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Those look really great. I've never put wood in the spritz. You taste it?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Smoking four baby back racks and grinding a few pounds of sausage tomorrow, salute are troops. :911:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Smoked my first batch of jerky today!

Came out pretty drat good methinks. I started with four pounds of top round and sliced it kinda thick (a bit more than a quarter inch). I then prepped the brine and let it soak 12 hours. This was made of:
  • 4 cups soy sauce
  • 2 coups blackstrap molasses
  • 1 cup Jim Beam
  • 3 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • a couple shakes of red pepper flakes

I used hickory chips and to cook the meat I started at 185 for 2 hours. I then lowered it to 150 for about 4-4.5 hours and that's the result above! I didn't use a water pan and I kept the vent wide open to try and maximize dryness in spite of how awfully humid it is. I sliced the meat diagonal to the grain as much I could so it's not super chewy but it doens't just crumble either.

I'm excited to try and start experimenting with other flavors and such but I'm really happy with the result.

Is this your first time making jerky? I've never done it but it's one of my favorite snack foods and I want to make it. I'm going to try this.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice grill marks. That all looks great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Vents are all open? Pipes aren't kinked?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My rib smoke ended a little early tonight.

I wrapped the ribs in foil before going into work, and I was at work about 4 hours, so my 3-3-1 turned into a 3-4-0. After work, when I opened the foil to get the ribs glazed and ready for their last hour on the smoker, they were so moist and tender that I couldn't lift a single rack from any side without it falling apart. The bones slide out with no resistance (and no meat attached) at all. I'm having such a hard time handling the ribs without them falling to pieces that moving them back onto the smoker is virtually impossible, which means that glazing them now is pretty much pointless. And I had already made the glaze before pulling the ribs off, so basically I made a batch of glaze for nothing.

I didn't even bother doing the jalapeno poppers. I'll have to try to do those tomorrow or the next day.

Despite all of that though, the ribs taste pretty good. Maybe a bit lacking in smoke flavor, but good.

Does this count as a success or a failure?

It counts as delicious ribs and a learning experience.

4 hours steaming will get you that result which no doubt tastes great but won't win any awards and isn't ideal as you note.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I can't imagine that working out

e. I am tremendously partial to fried potatoes and believe the gold that comes therefrom to be the best potato.

But I like to grill chopped taters with onions and butter in foil, and those are sublime. Just seems like potatoes need fast, wet, and hot, then very little smoke to get what you want.

Pls proceed and report back on your experiment.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 28, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks so hot

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What's wrong with being sexy?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

jonathan posted:

It's basically the website in page form and not a mess like the website. All the pictures are colour. I haven't read into it too much but I've been trying to read a few pages per night.

Currently applewood smoking a turkey and feta meatloaf. Girlfriend doesn't eat pork or beef so I'm stuck making almost good food.

Smoked turkey and cheese are good.

:colbert:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Today I am making literal OMGWFTBBQ.

Background 1: I went on a pork shoulder and lamb leg buying binge at the store yesterday due to a sale, but I forgot to check on my rub supplies before I did so.

Background 2: The wife and I are likely moving halfway around the world in about a month, so I have a shitpile of spices in the cabinet that I have to get rid of shortly.

Conclusion: I go apeshit, everything goes in the spice grinder until I produce something that tastes okay. Rub includes black pepper, five spice, cardamom, smoked habanero powder, garlic powder, onion powder, grains of paradise, celery salt, regular salt, a dash of paprika, fennel seed, cumin, and brown sugar. Tastes a bit like Texas style bbq hosed a pinecone, but in a good way. Gonna smoke it today and see whether I've unlocked the door to a new culinary universe or just ruined $60 worth of meat. Exciting!

Yesssssssss

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The promo video for that thing made me want to shove a meat thermometer in my meatus

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I wouldn't think deep frying would remove smokiness in the meat. You're not battering them or anything right?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chop up the brisket real small and fry it in a skillet and make philly cheese steak sandwiches

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

Agree to disagree. Although I don't see how you can disagree about the flavor. Do a chuck and brisket side by side with no rub and tell me which has more flavor.

Gonna chop up one of my previously smoked pork belly sections and make burnt belly ends. Then dump them in beans.

I'll utilize steak-ums for my pcs'

Real talk: when I smoke a beef tenderloin I use the trimmings for pcs the next day. It's amazing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Larrymer posted:

12 hours in and pork shoulder is rocking steady at 162. Only a 6.X pounder, my smoker just seems to take it's time on the stall.

Uh oh...how long has it been at 162ish and how hot are you cooking at?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just in case you guys haven't seen it...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post474209678

That thread is amazing. Guy is living the bachelor dream.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/taniaonfox7/status/901410686005374977

:(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sounds like "just" the smoke pit is burned out, but I would assume they are fully overinsured...still will be some time before they come back.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Glambags posted:

I'm doing slc ribs this weekend in my bge. Last time I did ribs I did baby backs and they ended up a little dry/tough. I've read the amazing ribs last meal ribs article but is there anything major I should watch out for? I can do a brisket or pork shoulder fine but for some reason ribs trip me up. I've gotten better at temp control and I use a water pan but if anyone has any other tips my taste buds will thank you.

Do you crutch them? I find basting with apple juice or baste and wrapping for 30 minutes to an hour helps keep it moist.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If you pull at 180-190 you’ll be slicing pieces off, not shredding.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide, 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

That’s pretty alchemical. What temp did you sound vide at?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If I recall correctly Gitmo made stock for gumbo by boiling whole shrimp and crawfish and vegetables for like 3 hours until they turned to mush, then burned the shut out of his roux

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You better smoke something soon motherfucker

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Classic Gitmo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Guys why does my pork loin taste like a mummified horse dick someone rolled in soot?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pics or it didn’t happen

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Your pork loin looks like it’s going to waddle away and jump in a lake lol

Good job Gitmo, now smoke some butter

Adbot