Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've indicated to my father in law that I was thinking of getting into smoking, and he said he'd buy me a smoker as long as I smoked him a bunch of meat next time he visits.

I'm looking to go electric, which I know means I should go with the Masterbuilt. I'm looking at the 30" digital options, and there's the digital, digital with window, and digital with wifi. The "digital with window" comes with a stand which seems worth it alone, even if the window won't be all that useful. I'm ultimately tempted by the wifi version, especially since it can be had for about the same price as the digital with window. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the Wifi model specifically, and if it has any downsides compared to the regular digital with window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I seasoned my MES30 with WiFi on Saturday. I was going to smoke a chuck roast on Sunday but it was rainy and windy so I decided to hold off. Tuesday I'm working from home and the weather should be more cooperative so I'm planning to give it a go then.

The instructions say 10 feet of vertical clearance but I watched a YouTube video of someone that put it under a patio umbrella that was only 3 or 4 feet of clearance. I've got a pop up canopy that would give it 4 or 5 feet of vertical clearance and was thinking in the future I could use that if it's raining, any words of warning or support with that plan?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a MES30. I also have a pork shoulder that I'd like to smoke for pulled pork. I see a couple "recipes" online that are some variant of dry rub and smoke for 12+ hours. I could rub some mustard on it first to help the rub stick. Is there anything else to it? Any other alternative methods I should try? I like things saucy, so I'm worried that when it's all done and shredded it'll just be dry and tasteless.

I had a bad experience with dry smoking some ribs and they just came out dry and bland except you could taste and feel with the rub on the outside, so just all around a bad experience and something I'd like to avoid again.