Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My vertical smoker isn’t wide enough to fit a rack of ribs without cutting it in half.

Was thinking about hanging a rack and seeing how those come out. My only concern is that at some point won’t the ribs get so tender that they can’t support their own weight and then fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

is there something wrong with cutting the ribs? I've always cut them in 1/2 for my MES can get 3-4 racks in that way

Wasn’t sure if I was missing out on something by keeping them whole.

This was my first smoke of the year and they came out okay. Definitely could have gone for another hour at least, but the rain started a little earlier than I planned and I had to pack up.

6 hours at about 230 degrees. Used some applewood and Kingsford.

Overall, tasty.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I guess ultimately I don’t have a problem cutting the racks in half. Personally I like ribs where their own weight may be too much to support them on a hook. I’ll just err on the side of caution.

I could also try rolling them up too.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

That one doesn't look bad, but the manufacturer isn't a brand I've heard of.

It's not as big a deal for an electric smoker, but a thermometer that has both high temp and low temp monitoring is really helpful. The ThermoPro TP-08S on Amazon has that for instance. With a charcoal smoker, I can never really relax with my crappy thermometer because I won't know if the temperature drops without checking every few minutes.

I use the the TP-08S myself. Works really good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

When I first started smoking I did not use a water pan, and my meats were coming out bitter and covered in creosote.

Since I started using the water pan, this has not happened again. My theory is that the drippings were hitting the charcoal and creating a thicker, greasier smoke.

EDIT: Vertical smoker here.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 25, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

More rain coming this weekend... bummed.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

“He’s just resting — waiting for a new life to come.”

Finally getting back to the smoker! Have only done a rack of ribs so far this year.

My buddies are doing a little cookout this evening, so it seemed like a perfect occasion to smoke up a nice pork shoulder and bring it along.

Meat just hit the smoker.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Any ideas how long can I let a pork shoulder rest before I start to pull it apart?

I think it might be done around at 3pm and I’m bringing it to a cookout for 7pm. Should I just let it rest until it arrives and shred it there?

Wrap in tinfoil?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

El Jebus posted:

Wrap in foil, stuff it between some hot towels in a insulated bag/cooler, have hot pork for hours and hours.

Will do this. Thanks.

Just got through the stall so this thing won’t be ready for probably another couple hours.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Every pork shoulder I've ever smoked:

Hour 3: Oh crap this is going to be done way early
Hour 8: Maybe I can make an appetizer to hold people over until the pork is done

Been on for almost 9 1/2 hours now and we’re at 173 degrees. At this rate I MIGHT be on time for the cookout haha!

I had a feeling I should start as soon as I woke up. Good choice...

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 8, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Yeah, every one that I do seems to take longer than the last. The one I did last weekend took about 17ish hours including an hour getting blasted in the oven but it came out looking and tasting fantastic.

What a beauty!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

11 hours total in the vertical smoker over Kingsford and applewood.

I may have gone a little overboard with the twine, but whatever don’t kink shame.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Let it rest a bit.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Home Depot is having a today only sale on a Masterbuilt dual-fuel smoker, down to $150: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/447026?c_id=4839&u_id=67424549&d=042820

This was tempting, but I’m going to try and get another season out of my cheap rear end no-name brand smoker I picked up a few years ago. It still produces drat good meat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

report: just salted my butt and it is now dry brining in the fridge.

Took the fat cap off. Good god it was at least 1/2" thick, more in some spots. I've oven roasted butts before and never had a fat cap that thick... was a ~5lb butt, probably took at least 1/2 to 3/4 lb off. The good news is though that my butcher carries a boatload of smoking chips, so I got some Apple like I originally wanted.

Still contemplating rubs. Now that I've salted it, it kinda limits my options. Got Barbecue of the Americas per a recommendation here, but that has salt in it. Thoughts? I was planning on doing the Joy of Cooking Southern BBQ rub (sans salt). I've had good luck with it in the past for oven roasting. I haven't looked at Meathead's "memphis dust" at all yet, I've seen mixed reviews. Spice cabinet is pretty well stocked, so there isn't much I can't do.

As an aside, I measured out 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb (per Meathead's recommendation), but I ended up using only about half of it. I don't normally measure the salt out when I dry brine, so by the time I got it to the point where I normally eyeball it I had a bunch left. I understand it's way thicker than steaks/etc., but I decided to cut it short rather than risk over-salting it. Point being using a rub with salt in it might not be the end of the world.

Also gently caress y'all, I drilled a hole in my kettle for probes. Thought I was going to get those grommets yesterday, but shipping was delayed. Could see them today, but now that I'm T-minus 23 hours I'm not going to screw with it. Hole is 1/2" currently (also ordered a step bit which was ALSO delayed), so that'll be good enough for now with some foil to block air flow. Didn't paint it yet, but who cares If it rusts because I'm just going to drill it out more later.

edit:

also, inclement weather plan? There's a very low chance of rain tomorrow, but around here this time of year that means pop-ups randomly in the afternoon/evening. I can get my electronics in a bag or something, but I'm more worried about the grill. Do I need to try to prop up an umbrealla, or just keep the vent away from the meat to avoid drips? I'm partially worried about my meat taking a bath, but also not sure if the rain is going to suck all the heat out of the grill or not.

I’ve seen people smoke under those blue tarp/tent things. Never had any rain during any of my smokes, but I imagine it could lower the temp of the smoker or mess with your wood/charcoal if it gets inside.

On that note... just tossed my pork shoulder in the fridge as well for a dry brine. 8.5 pounds before trim. This is probably going to be a long smoke. Looks like we’re pork buddies tomorrow :hfive:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

does dry brining do anything for pulled pork? I always just add some rub w/salt after pulling it anyways.

I remember looking into it a while ago and deciding that ultimately it can’t hurt.

I know dry brining the turkey before Thanksgiving seemed to bring some good flavor and color. My reverse seared steaks come out really nice after a dry brine too. A good chunk of bbq guys seem to think it works well on a pork shoulder, so that’s good enough for me. It’s an insanely low-effort task that at the very least makes the meat look nicer.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

It has begun....

Pork shoulder went in about 45 minutes ago. Meat probe is already showing 135 degrees, so I know I must have overinserted it something. Will re-stick it in a few hours to try and get a better spot. Using original Kingsford and applewood chunks.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Saturday smoking crew:

Got it on around 6:15. Took a bit to get a handle on temperature, but feeling good about it now.

Ended up having to put binder clips around the lid to stabilize the temperature. Got up to 256, had the bottom completely closed and was still rising. Noticed some smoke escaping around the lid, and the instant I put clips on it started dropping. REALLY glad I drilled that hole for the probes... had I run them under the lid, I'd have no hope of keeping the temp controlled.

One known issue is that the "one touch" is original, so it doesn't seal well and one of the fins is bent up, so "fully closed" is not actually closed. Plan on replacing that soon enough, but looks like I have good enough control for today.

Meat's up to 150 already, after 4 hours. Kinda surprised it went that fast. No stall yet, but I know it's coming. That said, there seems to be a lot of bone, so I'm not confident in my probe placement. Once I get close I'm going to have to poke around with an instant read to see where I'm at.

Probably going to check the water in a bit. Was holding tight 235-245, just futzed with it and got it back to 225 and holding fairly steady.

Things are going about as well as I expected!

Looking good!

This was after three hours. Needed to open the lid to add more water to the water pan.

4.5 hours in now. Internal temp has been holding at 165 for a little while now, so might be in the stall. Smoker temp I’m trying to keep in the 225-250 range.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

My setup is a wicked cheap, no-name smoker I need to fiddle with constantly to keep temp. But it’s gets the job done and has held up for four seasons now.

It’s the first smoker I ever got. My logic was if I can learn on a cheap $35 smoker, when I actually spring for the Weber I’ll be able to smoke with my eyes closed.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I must have hit a monster stall. Temp of the pork dropped from 172 to 166 in an hour. Never had one lose so much temp before.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

loving lol

Currently standing on my deck

In a downpour

Under a patio umbrella (and also a golf umbrella because the patio umbrella is meant for sun, not rain)

Grill temp is steady at 225-230

Neighbors must think I'm nuts, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let mother nature ruin 10 hours of work.

Oh man that sucks! Hang in there!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Stall may be over. Pork blasted up from 172 degrees to 192 now. Still trying to keep in mind that I may have overstuck the probe so it actually may be a little cooler than that. Either way, I opened it up to add more water and the probe was still pretty tight in there. This thing is going to need to go to 205 degrees probably in order to be nice and tender.

Here’s the 10 hour mark:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Holy poo poo my probe was way off!!!

Pork temp hit 200 degrees and I went out to see how tender it was. Also brought another probe to check temp in a different spot. Got the second probe in a good spot and it’s only 175 degrees! Adjusted the overstuck probe and it’s showing 175 too.

Got out the tinfoil and wrapped it up. Going to be a little longer than I thought apparently.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

You can always finish it in the oven

I was thinking about finishing mine in the grill. Too hot to turn in the oven. I can probably keep the temp pretty low in there. Anyone else ever try finishing on a grill?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Why not just open all the vents on your smoker and let it rip up over 300?

Comedy option: leaf blower will into the bottom vent will get those temps up

Yeah that’s what I’m doing now. Holding at 300.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

16 hours later... It is done.

Sandwich I made didn’t stand a chance of being photographed. It was all over too quickly.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Kalman posted:

Bit of both, I think. (And the humidity should in theory help to reduce stall duration, since stall is evaporative cooling and that’s in part a function of air humidity.)

Added benefit of a water pan for me is also to catch the drippings before they hit the coals. First few times I smoked, my meat was covered in a little layer of ash or something. It was very bitter and very weird. Never happened again after I started using the water pan.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

So here are the results from yesterday:

So things went... OK. Started it at about 6:15am, and didn't hit 203 until about 10:45pm. So 16:30 total time. Would have been longer had I not let the temp boost to ~275 towards the end. I pulled it at 203 because I was exhausted. I didn't even bother spot checking other areas, I just pulled it.

Biggest issue is I think it was a bit dry. I don't know if it took too long and dried out, or if I pulled it early before all the fat could render. I always kept the water pan topped off, so I dunno. I definitely under-salted (and could have used more rub), but I'm not sure if that's related to under-salting or not. I just feel like it wasn't anywhere near as moist as the ones I've oven-cooked in the past. No smoke ring that I could really discern, so I dunno if I messed up there or not. Smoke flavor was there, but not obvious. The bark was VERY crunchy... not like burnt crunchy, though. So that's good, right?

I did snag one piece of bark (fresh off the cooker) that must have been on the fat cap... that was amazing. Maybe next time I'll just cut the whole fat cap side off and eat it separately... it was like the skin off a roast chicken, but better.

Here's the chart:

So basically from 8:30am to 18:30 it was between 215 and 235 for the vast majority of the time. Just after 16:00 was when the rain kicked in... all the wobbles after that were me fighting the wind/rain to try to keep the temp under control. Rain stopped around 18:30, and then soon after the coals nearly died so that was fun. As you can see, I got annoyed at how long it was taking so I boosted the temp, then added more coals and boosted the temp some more.

Also: do you guys keep the drippings? Seems like an awful waste not to, but I don't know if it gets contaminated with ash/whatever or if it's good to go. Could help with my moisture issues...

Edit: also on the subject of ash, good God briquettes produce a ton. I usually use lump when grilling (probably will still), but when I read that briquettes made more ash I thought people were just being whiney. But drat, that's a lot of ash.

My guess is that bringing it to 203 May have been the reason for the dryness. Doneness for pulled pork is anywhere from 195-206ish. It just varies depending on the individual cut of meat.

I checked mine at 195 and it was completely fork tender and the probe slid right out. I pulled it off the smoker right then. After I let it rest, the meat fell right off the bone. If I’d taken to 200 it would have probably been a bit dry.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

M2tt posted:

Adventures in how to smoke continue, we had a roast that was running out of time so went ahead and decided to smoke it today.

About an hour into the smoke we realized our Shishito plants had started producing

So we went ahead and tried smoking those too (Roast is about 2 hours in by this point)

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster

Hmmm... I have a pork roast I threw in the freezer when the lockdowns started. Maybe it’s time to give it a second chance at life in the smoker.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Gave up at 11:30PM. 18 hours is plenty. Meteor was sitting at 187°F.

How was it? Did it end up getting tender?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

That makes sense, thank you. I just went with minimum safe for pork. So I should definitely bank on cooking way longer next time.

Yeah my 8.5 pound shoulder took about 16 hours to get to 195 last week. Depending on the individual piece of meat, you may have to take it even higher, but around 195 is a good place to be.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Heretic opinion? I do my 7-8 lbs half butts at 275-300, takes about 8 hours to get to 200. Ain't nobody got time for 18 hour smokes.

Just did a 9 lb brisket at 275 this past weekend and got it on the grate at 6am and pulled it off at 6 pm :discourse:

Hot (relatively) and fast can work great.

I think it’s all personal preference. My last pork shoulder probably averaged a 250 degree smoke temp. Towards the end I cranked it to 300. Mine was perfectly tender.

In fact, the next pulled pork I do I will probably try to average it at a 275 smoke temp to see how a little hotter and faster compares.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

The BBQ guru will turn your WSM (or whatever) into a set it and forget it machine. Like an electric you'll be able to basically walk away and only have to pay attention to when it's time to refill. I'm considering getting one because I have less time now to babysit the smoker, but it still feels like cheating. Part of the whole experience for me has always been slightly adjusting the vents to keep the smoker at the optimal temp, knowing when to adjust and when to let it ride is a skill I've enjoyed developing over the years.

Okay so I have a cheap no-name vertical smoker that I endlessly have to adjust the vents on. No matter how much charcoal I add, it usually lasts about three hours and then I have to refill.

My typical filling cycle is temp falls, open vents, temp stabilizes and then drops, add more charcoal, temp rises, close vents, temp falls, open vents, temp rises, close vents, temp falls, open vents, temp stabilizes then drops, add more charcoal. That’s about how I spend every three hours when I’m smoking. I’m out there maybe every twenty minutes for however many hours the smoke takes :thumbsup:

Will the WSM change my life that drastically?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I got a Louisiana grills kamado style from costco for this reason, I can do 16hr smokes man.

On one chimney of charcoal???

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Tbh dry brining is miles easier so I’ll do that instead. I don’t need to pull shelves out of my fridge for gigantic pots with dry brining.

Yeah, dry brining all day.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Does anyone here use an offset smoker? I bought a charcoal grill last year that has one attached and I haven't hosed with it yet. I was wondering how finicky it is and if it can actually smoke whole cuts like brisket well enough to try it out or if I should just smoke chicken and sausage and stuff. Now in my late 30s, I figure I'm going to become a weekend smoker dad who avoids their kids and spouse by talking about bark and smoke rings and flat vs point and making my family eat shitloads of meat

(I don't have kids, but I do want to learn how to smoke stuff)

I don’t have one, but this old guy a couple streets over from me died a few months ago and his offset smoker has just been sitting in the yard. His family is sometimes there cleaning out the house. I plan my dog walks accordingly to see if I can strike up conversation and finesse that smoker off them.

I’ve gotten so much free poo poo from my neighborhood it’s crazy.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah I’m happy with my water pan.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

We got invited to a cookout this weekend. My first thought was PERFECT EXCUSE TO SMOKE UP SOME RIBS AND BRING THEM OVER!

My wife convinced me to bring something with a bit of a shorter cook time, so we settled on smoked wings. Never smoked wings before but I’ve cooked plenty of them other ways. I love trying something new!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sometimes if I’m doing wings in the oven I’ll add a little baking powder to whatever seasoning I’m using on them. The baking powder makes them crisp up really good. Might apply this to the smoker as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Ran into some issues yesterday smoking wings for the first time.

Coated them in a little rub and loaded two full racks on my vertical smoker.

Smoker temperature for some reason wasn’t getting about 200 degrees. I removed the water pan and about 1/4 of the wings. I just tossed the wings I took off on the grill and those came out great.

Smoker temp still struggled to get past 250. This is the first time I’ve run two racks at once, so I figured the additional layer was probably messing with airflow or just absorbing a lot of heat.

I had a cookout to get to and didn’t plan on these wings taking more than two hours. With the temp only at 250 I thought I’d just pull everything off a few minutes before we left and finish on the grill. To my surprise, I took off the lid of the smoker and the top layer of wings looked totally perfect and were completely done and good to eat. The bottom layer closer to the coals were understandable a little further ahead, and some were a bit charred. Meat inside them was still actually very good.

Next time will only do one layer.