Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Hello savvy smoker's , I just bought a BBQ ( Napoleon p450rbnss-9 to be precise ). Now I am wondering if it's possible to smoke a brisket? I also bought a tray that I can put charcoal in it but I have never cooked with charcoal so far.. Any tips or recommendation is appreciated. Am I dumb for even thinking of trying? I wanted to buy a smoker but my budget went into the BBQ and now the family council ( WIFE ) will not approve one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

AxeBreaker posted:

Cool advice :chef:

I own the smoker pipe, I forgot to mention it. The thing does not last long, around 30 minutes. I have tried a tinfoil package the result was really sharp but the tinfoil melted. The bbq is equipped with accuprobe thermometer and I own a digital thermometer.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Suggestions :razz:

This may sound stupid but how do you follow your meat temperature if you don't check it every now and then ?

As for the chicken, I have cooked the beer chicken it was :shlick:. This weekend I plan on doing chicken on the spit rod. I also bought ribs, I have never cooked those and I can't wait to try it out.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I am smoking my first pulled pork! I can't wait to taste it. I am using Raichlen recipe. I will post picture of result later tonight or tomorow!

e: later this evening

I had family coming over and it was a huge success!

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 15, 2012

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I cold smoked delicious salmon! It was tasty.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
This is the recipe I use it's a blast each time I do it.
Food network Cured and Smoked Salmon

Alleric posted:

I think they may still have some wild caught coho coming in to the local supermarket just before the weekend. I'm currently in full-on house cleaning purging mode this week and into the weekend, the mrs will prolly be wiped out from being at a neuroscience convention all week, she's a salmon snob and loves her some smoked.

Mayhap I need to get me a lb of file and maybe a couple of nice trout to throw in this weekend.

My wife goes nuts when I make her smoked salmon or poached egg with hollandaise sauce!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I have a huge backyard shed, I am thinking of moving my BBQ in there for winter. Would it be appropriate or I am stupid of even thinking of doing that? I want to keep smoking stuff trough the winter. Tomorow is pulled pork time woooh!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Mach420 posted:

You want to have a good amount of clearance for the top and sides of the cooker, good air ventilation, and you will definitely want to be sure that any coals, if you're not using a gas smoker, will not fall on the floor and start a fire. There are mats that you can buy that are fireproof. Remember that coals put out a ton of carbon monoxide.

Thank you for the advice, it is a gas BBQ and there is plenty of clearance on the side. I will have to check for the top tough.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Foiling will stop the bark from getting darker and it will cook faster.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 5, 2012

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
What is the HeaterMeter used for? Is it reliable? Worth making one? I mostly smoke on my propane/coal bbq where I set my stuff and use a wifi probe that gives me the meat temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xcdude24 posted:

So I also followed the Amazing Ribs recipe(I used St. Louis cut), using a standard Weber grill. I was able to get it in the 200-250 range for most of my cook; I don't have an exact recording, but I'd say they spent about 3 hours at 200-225 and about 2 hours at 225-250. They came out a bit tough, so maybe I pulled them a bit early? My main concern was that they'd dry out because they spent a fair amount of time in the 250 range.

The toughest part about cooking was maintaining a consistent temperature. I added 5-10 lit coals every 40 minutes or so, which made the ordeal rather intensive. I also had trouble keeping the temperature consistent- would this have a negative effect on the ribs? Although it did fluctuate, it was between 200-250 for 90% of the time.

I had a couple people complain that my spice rub was a bit too salty. Here's what I used (it was enough for two racks):

3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons thyme
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard

And here's how they turned out:

Apparently pork shoulders are a little more forgiving for first-timers, so I'll give that a try next time.

These rib are slightly undercook, you should see the bone stick out 1inch approximatly.