Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

Someone please save me an afternoon of googling and watching lovely youtube videos.

What's the best way to cook wings on a grill? Slow smoke? If so what temp and how long? Or do you reverse sear? How do you know when they are done enough to sear? Or do you just sort of bake them at 350 (or 425 or whatever) and should probably just use an oven?

If you're going to be smoke them.. you want to put the heat on higher at some point and get them crispy or you'll get rubbery wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

As others have stated, makes perfect sense. Hell we would welcome smoking a Stouffer's frozen lasagna.

Edit: Actually that is something drat tempting to try for the laughs. Do the family size ones still come in their foil pans?

If not that's aldi lasagna does.
P sure their family size regular and vegetarian ones come in foil

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Are you going low and slow or going to cook at like 300 from frozen

Once it's thawed I'd say start with the mesquite and then switch to apple for the rest of if you are just going to be light it all at the same time 25/75 mix?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Great Scott, due to popular demand I present the lasagna money shot after coming off the smoker:

Again, Stouffer's half-assed manufacturing methods or logistics (or perhaps Walmart's?) makes it look like a 3 or 4 when drunk at a bar in regard to frozen food items. But hell, it put out.

After visiting the Stouffer's website, I'm going to try to grab the bacon mashed potatoes https://www.stouffers.com/our-dishes/classics/family/cheddar-bacon-potatoes and try those next.

edit: I think the best part of this entire fiasco is I'm still chuckling. Yesterday before I even started the wife stated she was going to run to the store, and asked if there were plans for dinner. With bravado I said "Honey, I got this covered." And then I turned my head away and made the most cringeworthy face known to man.

But.. But how did this taste?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a specific reason for the 40"? I have a 30" and haven't had an issue with its size.. the 40" does have a better element to keep up with temps in the cold.

The front window doesn't do poo poo after the first.2 smokes.. and it can be had for 177 or sometimes even cheaper like 149..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Still haven't heard.how the lasagna tasted

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh I guess I missed it my bad I suck at reading.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 10, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doing 4 racks of 321 ribs. (3, 1.5, .5) ribs.

Also going to toss some Bushes baked beans in the smoker for like the last .5.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where'd you get that for $15. I'm paying $20 for 2 racks of ribs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sorry no pics folks, maybe tomorrow for the leftovers..

I did 3/2/1 ribs for the second time. This time I modified the times a little.

3 @ 225
1.5 @ 225 w/ BBQ sauce and then a little bit of apple juice in the foil.
.5 @ 275

Turned out really good.. no real bark, but were def not as dry as when I did 3/2/1

did 4 full racks, had 6 adults over and still have like 1-2 racks left everyone ate a quarter rack of ribs kuz there was lots of other stuff to eat so now I have some lunches for the next few days.

Happy Labor day America.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Babby's first smoke is tomorrow morning! :woop::woop:

I got an ECB at a yard sale, and with a friend's help did these mods to it:

https://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

Basically,
- Added a proper thermometer, though I do have a probe one as well
- Drilled holes in the charcoal pan, also got an 8" grate for it
- Drilled holes in the lid and added this venting damper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ

Picked up a 3.8lb pork shoulder/butt. Am I correct in what I'm reading at Meathead's website? Salt it tonight, then add the rub tomorrow before putting it in the smoker?

hey welcome to the world of smoking.. that ECB will eat a lot of charcoal, it's a great starter but you better have a full bag or 2 ready to go.. keep an eye on those temps, hopefully you have yourself a thermometer.

It was my starter smoker as well. Works great as a small grill too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

Tell him to let you know when he can tell when his pork butt is at temp while watching football in the living room.

What’s that? Left it in too long and now it’s nine wasted hours of bone dry mess? Aww too bad.

Or left it in when the temps were too hot kuz thermometers are for idiots.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is an awesome deal.. too bad I live in an apartment... Only electric and or propane for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wrong thread for sure

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 17, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ummm the app is loving up.. I just posted this in the tinder thread even though I replied here.....

Id recommend adding moisture of some kind I did a spiral cut ham on Easter it was dry but tasty.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Awful app.. if read a thread click post and it would bring me back to the thread I was just in and post there.. no clue if this will end up in Forza thread or smoked buttholes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

On iOS or Android?

android.. it seems to have corrected itself. the only thing I can think of is I tapped both back and post at teh same time since they're close.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like the thread title should be

Slow Smoking Meat: Brisket takes longer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get an cheapo instsntish read thermometer that's close to accurate for like good drat 10 bucks.. order it today and you should get it by Weds especially if you do 1 day shipping

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wacha.got there? Some pork.butt.. some ribs?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is possible, aluminum pans aren't the greatest to cook tomatoes / tomato sauce due to the aciditiy, maybe try again with a "non-reactive" pan.

I'm assuming it's not an anodized pan, you're just using the toss away aluminum pans which are probably leeching poo poo flavors into tomatoes that are being cooked for multiple hours in them.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 17, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Use the glaze / things to make sure it doesn't dry out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MES 30 is a great starting smoker. I haven't used mine in the winter yet this year but it works well in summer. It does have a hard time getting big slabs of meat (racks of ribs or full packer briskets) but you CAN cut meat in half. I had a group of people and ended up doing 3 racks of ribs in mine.

I would agree with others that you don't get a fantastic smoke ring, but the food tastes great coming out of it, and it's so easy to use. Just put in meat, add wood and let it run. I generally add extra wood about every hour or so for a few hours since the hopper doesn't work.

Plan on getting a decent probe thermometer too so you aren't opening and closing to get temps. I use a wireless one and it make life easy, I can see my meats temp while sitting cozily in the living room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Final question, is this something you have to somewhat babysit?

I probably shouldn't start smoking and then head to work for 8 hours ...?

You can prety much let it go, If you want to let it sit you'd probably want to get the amazon pellet thing. They'll give you many hours of smoke. I get to work from home so I just set mine and toss wood in occasionally.

I'd recommend trying some pulled pork on a weekend or something to make sure it's all working correctly.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some MES have a meat probe and a remote, but the range is poo poo compared to something dedicated to the task.

yeah but not the ~$100-$140 30" You're better going with a separate device.. I think some of the remote thermometers have a cloud connection so you can even monitor from work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doing a packer brisket in my 30 mes. So somewhere around maybe 10lbs. But I'm going to assume I need to cut it in half to fit.

Parchment paper okay for the crutch?

How much to should I expect 2 5ishlb chunks to take to smoke. (I'm adding another hour for a rest in a cooler). Can I have it done early and cooler rest for a few hrs?

I've done "trimmed" smaller brisket (think they called it a roast) and they have taken longer than 1.5 to cook and last time it was a bit tough / dry but I'm assuming it had too much fat taken off of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trimmed 2lbs of fat?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's what I assumed but didn't want to assume.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Pork butts are usually that size, and don't usually have a fat cap. Are you thinking of pork belly?

All the shoulder's I've bought are 7ish lbs and have a fat cap on the top.

edit: but it appears that there are some that are also sold trimmed.

lookin' on the interewebs there's 2 different camps equally split between trim it or keep it.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 5, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To be fair mines usually got a bit more fat on it, they always bone in.

I just grabbed a pic from the net since I haven't photographed a naked butt.. all my pics are post smoked or at least covered in rub.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Too much bark? Are you on drugs? Is this a code word for being kidnapped or some poo poo. I mean the words are all English but don't seem to make a sensible sentence.

At 225 I expect my pork butt (fat cap bone in) to take about 2hrs per lb with no crutch. I rarely do a big rear end butt day of, although it impacts flavor / bark.. generally I make my shoulder the day before then toss in crock pot for a few hrs before serving.

Many times I'm doing butts from 6am to 10pm.

If you plan on serving smoked things for dinner. You're planning on getting your rear end up at 5am or earlier. If it's done early you can always shove it in cooler and rest... If it's not done you have hangry guests / significant others.o

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think butcher paper breaths a bit better but I used parchment paper for my last brisket and had no issues

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ and a group of money. I dropped $100 for 12ish lbs of brisket last time I have a big brisket get together. Was tasty as hell and worth every penny...

Mes 30 user here. Don't get the Bluetooth one.. get the black box one and spend the money on a good meat thermometer.

You really don't need to do anything with the temp most of the time other than set to 225 and feed it chips every 1+2 hrs.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 29, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Expect 12 hours minimum for a pork butt. (I plan 15 at 225 without a crutch) They are big and hearty they will hold temp in a cooler for a long time. Better to have it early and in a collet than late and have to get taco Bell.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

gently caress electricity, lump for life.

Electricity is great for us apartment dwellers. Also great if you want to have a life that not monitoring the coals and adding coals.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love my generic silicone bbq gloves.

Also for pork I usually just take the whole tack out and put on a Cookie sheet. Trying to lift a.l fully cooked butt is trouble.

↓↓ I'd argue I was on a keyboard not phone posting but what's the point. I always use gloves for BBWs

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 15, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there something wrong with cutting the ribs? I've always cut them in 1/2 for my MES can get 3-4 racks in that way

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd love a good smoked wings method. I've done it 2x and they just end up dry.. they're okay but not worth it to me..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xsf421 posted:

So my super secret smoked wings method:

Marinate for 24h beforehand in 50/50 italian dressing and your hot sauce of choice (I like valentina).

Pull them out and put them on a rack an hour or two before you want to start so they can dry out.

I use a rub that's mostly brown sugar (1c), old bay(2-3Tbsp), salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. You want to add enough old bay and spices that the brown sugar stops clumping together and forms a nice loose spice mix.

Put the wings on your smoker racks, and put enough of the rub on to cover the wings. About 90 minutes in, give them a flip and cover the other side with the rub. Cook time is usually 2.5-3h, and they come out amazing. I've gone through 10lbs before for six people, and they weren't even the main food item that day.

Alternatively, use a vortex cone on a weber kettle and blast furnace them for 40 minutes to get super crispy wings and give up on the smoker.

I think the marinating is the key there. I just pulled out of bag tossed on rub and smoked

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

For US folks, what are you seeing for pork butt prices?

My grocer has it for .79/lb (bone in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah don't store then pull. Most often I do my butts the day before. Shred & cool on cookie sheet for a little bit then toss it in the fridge for the next day. Next day I fire up the crock pot and simmer it up.