Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it possible to set up a gas grill like this to smoke:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grill-King-5-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-Black/23148798

I finally have some real outdoor space (rooftop patio) and I have this grill from years ago available to me. It says the lid is porcelain coated so maybe it can hold heat better than some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is there a good writeup for the Masterbuilt Electric in this thread? I'm confused why the model with the window is a lot more.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anything wrong with this writeup?
https://sitesdoneright.com/blog/2014/06/masterbuilt-electric-smoker-mes-amazen-pellet-smoker-amnps

Basically:
MES 40"
Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Thermometer
AMNPS that you light yourself

I think it's making much more sense to me now.

So the slow burn of the pellets inside the AMNPS drive the smoke, the MES heat doesn't actually drive the smoke it's just ambient heat to cook the meat?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 31, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Maybe a dumb question, but do you need a blowtorch to light an AMNPS? Something more intense than a Bic lighter?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Basic dumb question: why do people smoke big cuts of meat relatively intact? Say you cut a pork shoulder in 2 or more pieces, wouldn't you get more smoking surface area?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody ever leave their electric smoker completely unattended? Doing my first smoke and gotta pick up the kids from school. I decided to unplug it and finish later. Internet seems a bit divided. I know wife would say unplug it. I should have started first thing!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did my first time smoking anything. Got the smallest pork butt available at the local Giant. Rubbed with deli mustard, Montreal steak seasoning, Tony's Cajun, Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Put it in the masterbuilt. 250 F. Used just apple wood from a 4 wood set I got. Had to leave after like 4-5 hours, unplugged. Then when I got home I put it in the oven inside 400 convect. Still took quite a while longer. 195 F internal temp. Cut the crispy exterior with scissors as I pulled it to mix it in with the soft interior.

Questions:
Most of the grease was in the water pan, that expected? Not much on the bottom. Cleaning easy.
When you load chips do you do 2 loads at a time?
How often you add more wood chips? I was thinking every 30 minutes. When I cleaned up the amount of wood ash looked kind of pathetically small. I got about 4 wood loads in. More would have been better.
Kept top vent open the whole time. I think you have it wide open to smoke and close it to finish/concentrate heat?
How about just doing the master built max temp 275 F if the pork shoulder takes long as gently caress?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

HOW DID IT TASTE???

Definitely good. My old way to cook this cut was pressure cooker. So much faster but not as flavorful. And the fat on the top doesn't render lovely. I think the hot oven finish may have wiped out a bit of smoky nuance.

So far done sandwiches with potato bun, muenster cheese and coleslaw and also put directly in ramen.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 3, 2022

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How do you fix the little electric control board on a masterbuilt smoker that clicks off as you in the beginning stages of setting the heat and time duration? Only got 2 smokes in where I just kept trying and eventually it was fine. 3rd no dice. This lady on youtube carefully took it apart and sprayed some wd40 on it. Haven't tried in a while. My apologies if this is obvious or repeat question, been busy with kids and work but want to get back to smoking pork shoulders.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
People who store their masterbilt electric smoker outside, do you do anything beyond just use the cover? I had to thoroughly dry my control unit out and apply some WD40. I was thinking of plastic wrapping to the control unit then the cover. The garage is on the exact opposite side of the house from where I need to use it and I don't have a shed.

I always covered it, I'm not sure how the control unit ended up like that. Might have been from the previous owner, I got it secondhand.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 22, 2022

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody do picnic shoulders by choice instead of regular butt/shoulders? I did them a few times before proper smoking, crock pot or pressure cooker. They are a little cheaper. The skin ratio is higher but I feel the meat is not as nice. I'm back in action having fixed the moisture issue near my masterbilt control board. Feel dumb I waited so long to fix something so easy. Shoulder in there with mustard, rubbed with Knorr Pork Bouillon cube crumbled, Lowry's Season salt, coarse Montreal steak seasoning.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made a picnic shoulder in my masterbilt. Barely checked the temp and I finally went and it was 190 at about 10 hours. The skin is a bit thick and chewy, should I have broiled it in the oven to render it more? I blowtorched it a little bit but that doesn't really scale up very well. About 95% of the meat was usable, it's not quite as nice as a butt shoulder.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

McSpankWich posted:

If I get a picnic I cut the skin off before I cook it.

Just throw it away? I didn't think to do that. My wife bought it instead of butt, I wanted to make the best of it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I did spare ribs to 200 F and they were a little soft for my taste. What's the final temp where you get a little bit of bone cling? 180? 190?

I do smoke then foil wrap -> bake with sauce.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody cut pork butts somewhat thin to smoke? Lidl has cheap half shoulders. I bought two half shoulders planning on smoking in 4 pieces. I think it can handle it. To get a more smoked surface area. I already did it before to good result and this is just 2x.

I mainly use for ramen.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Doing a chicken smoke right now to practice for turkey. Thinking of doing mayo for the binder as I would do mustard for pork shoulder. Crazy? I did it on the skin side just now. Knob of butter in lengthwise breast cut. I also put some of that chicken boillon powder in the rub. Fully halved the bird.

I still need to read this, catching up on the thread:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The chicken was really good even without a dry brine. Feel prepared! Surprisingly fast, just got 2 bunches of hickory chip into the masterbuilt electric at the 275 F max, then it was done.

We're gonna do an early thanksgiving this weekend bc my brother is flying out on Monday.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

born on a buy you posted:

Has anyone ever made a gravy from the drippings of smoked meat? Smoking turkey for thanksgiving and tempted to have a roast pan under it with onion/cellar/carrots and the neck/giblets but not sure if it will end up too smoky.

I just did that. I put nothing in my drip pan whereas normally for pork shoulder I put water in there. I used drippings in the broth to hydrate the stuffing then came back later at the end to get more for the gravy. The onions and carrots in the stuffing I just sauteed heavily in butter but I think your vegetables in the pan idea could be good.

I had chicken stock concentrate already on hand before so these drippings were just a smoky booster. Still worthwhile.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Why do you think that is? Cooking to temp seems like a universal thing to me. Skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did a whole pork shoulder with an empty water pan at 275 F, masterbilt electric. Wish I had put a little bit of water in there. The liquid in it was pure fat, I was hoping to get some meat juice in it to incorporate back in at shredding time. I think all the meat juice evaporated. I ended up adding water straight into the pan and stirring it up a little bit and using that. Surprising bc the no water thing has worked well for me other times. Also ended up a little salty. A lot of rub salt is down in the bottom I think.