Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Flaggy posted:

How much was it at Whole Foods?

I want to say that an 8x10" piece was $20+? It couldn't have been more than 2-2.5lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

jonathan posted:

Foiling the meat, is it just to shorten the stall ? That's what I assume, but on YouTube its common to see ribs being foiled, which I figure wouldn't stall much.

With regard to ribs, search for the 3-2-1 method.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Scott Bakula posted:

What causes the stall?

This sums it up nicely.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

coronaball posted:

Can someone link to that cast iron WSM door again please? I'm having crazy temp fluctuations lately, and I'm fairly sure that the door is the problem.

Cast iron? You mean the Cajun Bandit one? It's aluminum but it's nice because it actually seals.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

coronaball posted:

Cajun Bandit, that's the company. I meant stainless steel, not cast iron.

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

Purchasing now. I shoulda bought it the first time somebody posted it. Ribs still turned out pretty drat good but the texture wasn't what I would like because of too much temp fluctuation.

Ah yes, it's ss. Once you get one you'll wish they sold the nomex gasket for the lid separately.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

ut755ln posted:

I may have posted this before, but when it comes to smoking there is an easier method. Heat your kettle, green egg, smoker to 300 degrees. Cook your brisket, pork shoulder for 2 hours. At this point it will have developed a bark and a decent smoke ring. Double wrap the meat in heavy foil. Place the foil wrapped meat in a cheap sleeping bag. Take the meat and jam it in a cooler, the tighter fit the better. Let it sit for six to 8 hours and you are done.

There's no way a makeshift Cambro is going to be able to finish off a pork butt after only 2 hours via carryover. Hell, I wouldn't trust it to hold a finished butt at a food safe temperature for that long.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

revmoo posted:

Just threw my first chicken on the smoker, a 3.5lb Amish chicken.

What temp should I pull it at?

165F?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Atomic buffalo turds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Trane posted:

I roll the ribs and use a skewer to keep them in place. I can fit 5 racks per grill in my 18.5 WSM.

Pics are too big to attach for mobile, will add later today.

5 per rack?! Pics!