Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone recommend a thermometer to me? I've gone through three ikea probes. I need one that will survive a 12 hour smoke.

I mean one for in the meat, not for the air temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I use the Mexican mesquite charcoal which is cheap as gently caress and throw soaked chips on top for extra flavor.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Smoked meatloaf. Finished under the broiler to cook the sauce on top

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Try Googling "serious eats smoked duck" for some good info and a recipe, the author mentions that he will try crisping the skin further with baking powder in the fridge.

I tried this method with chicken and I didn't have good results. I suck though so ymmv.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a wsm and a 3lb salmon fillet. Virtual Weber says its hard to get the wsm low enough. Should I just go at 250 for an hour or two?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Anyone have a favorite smoked turkey recipe?

My brother in law used his super secret squirrel rub, but we smoked a turkey like beer can chicken on a can of Foster's using apple wood chunks. Turned out great.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah I buy all of that. The can was about getting the bird to sit nicely in the wsm. I wonder about quartering a turkey and smoking it. That'd work nicely I bet. Time to hit up the after thanksgiving sales.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The bowl of my wsm is getting a little rusty. Will it impart any off flavor to the pork buttnim doing this weekend? If so, what should I do about it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ribs, chicken legs, pulled pork for sandwiches

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I bought a quarter cow recently. It's sitting in my freezer mooing at me. I smoked the tri-tip first, and although the smoker worked great, my rub was crap. Oh well, I've got plenty more where that came from.

I think I'm going to smoke the brisket next. Anyone want to throw a rub or marinade at me?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

unknown posted:

Now I just need to find a consistent source of tri-tips. :-)

http://www.freedommeatlockers.com/

Is where I bought my cow. They ship.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Thrasher posted:

Build our Reuben..

I would do dirty dirty things to this sandwich... like put it in my mouth.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like to use low smoke and temps while cooking, then throw the bird under the broiler before serving for crispness. I think pieces also work better than a whole bird.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wow that's really pink. It almost looks like char siu.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have to try the mac and cheese now. I've done beans and they're amazing. Meatloaf is another one of my favorites in the smoker. Any other non traditional things I should smoke?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

I have a 19 lbs brisket I'm about to smoke. I am figuring a good 15 hours for this thing, right? Going to have to shoehorn it into my WSM.

How long does your WSM burn? For long things like pork butt or brisket, I usually fill the ring with unlit coals then dump a hot chimney lighter full of coals on top of that, then soaked wood chunks. Doesn't seem quite enough and I usually end up adding more toward the end and it feels wasteful.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

If you have a WSM and you aren't able to get 12-14 hours out of your coals my immediate though is that you're still using the shittastic stamped aluminum door that it ships with. Get thee over to cajunbandit and buy the replacement steel door and your life will change instantly.

Yep. I have the original door. I'll check out that replacement.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm gross and disgusting.

I cooked ribs in my WSM and left the water in there....for a while. It's gross. How can I get this back into fighting shape? I'm thinking oven cleaner then a bleach soak? Will oven cleaner take the finish off the inside of the water cauldron?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I live in California and I love the smell red oak and santa Maria style grilling. Does the red oak transfer well to a smoker?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

O want to make laulaus and I'm wondering if I can make them in my WSM. Most recipes call for them to be steamed. Am I going to dry them out too badly if I smoke them? Maybe steamed for a little bit then transfered to the smoker?

Anyone tried this?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

coronaball posted:

I'm making a pastrami using the amazing ribs method. I smoked the thing to 150, and now I'm supposed to refrigerate it until tomorrow when I steam it. From a food safety standpoint, I want to let it cool naturally and then refrigerate rather than refrigerate immediately, right?

That's mostly for the safety of the other food in the fridge. If you slide your hot meat into a cold box, it'll heat everything else up into the danger zone. The safest way to do it is to have a cooler with some ice just to cool down your pastrami. That'll get it down through the danger zone quickly then you can put it into the fridge with the rest of your food

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I feel like the acidity of the mustard would actually allow smoke to penetrate even deeper since it's breaking down the meat somewhat.

I don't think it works like that, does it? The smoke particles stick because it's a liquid and makes the outside "stickier" to the smoke particles.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

coronaball posted:

I like injecting butts with a bastard

Me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

marauderthirty posted:

Does anybody have a resource for someone in the market for a smoker that doesn't want to drop a grand on a new grill? I'm not opposed to buying used, so even any advice on what to look for on Craigslist would be useful. Budget is about $200.

2nding Weber smokey mountain. Egg is better if you can find it, but Weber is totally fine. You can also take the smoker chamber off and use it as a regular charcoal grill.