Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

So my neighbor was downsizing, and I can no longer feed my ravenous kids from my Weber in one shot, so I got an offset smoker for 40€.

I've smoked various things on my kettle grill before (pork shoulder mostly). Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? Obvious leaks, of course, but anything else? I guess probably feed it with lump charcoal and then whatever wood pieces I want to use? I have a ThermoWorks dual probe thermometer, so probably put one probe in the middle for ambient temp and the other in the meat on the far side/move it around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My best buddy back home had been furnishing me...

Since I also see you in the Deutschgoons thread, where do you typically source wood for smoking? I (also?) live in Bavaria, but far enough outside the major population centers where even the Baumarkts have pretty limited selection of smoking woods.

Just hit up Amazon?

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to try smoking a chicken for the first time in my Weber kettle. I will be using the snake method and chunks of apple wood. I've never smoked anything before, so wondered:

1. Do I have to soak the chunks beforehand?
2. Do I need a water container in there? I saw some people with one, didn't know what would cause me to need one.

The one reason that a water pan (or just a pan) can be helpful is to catch fat dripping off the chicken. It won't screw up your cooking, but it keeps your grill from getting quite as messy. I cook a ton of chicken legs in a kettle, and I always use one just so I don't have to clean the grill body quite as often.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

I'm doing a small (6 lb) pork shoulder today to try out that used offset grill that I got.

Seems to be working well so far, but the grate is a little low in the firebox and I started with a little too much charcoal, so it's not breathing as well as I'd like. Definitely is a bit of a struggle to maintain 107C (225F), and the temperature is varying more than I would like.

The good news is I already have a fair idea of what I'd like to modify, and none of it should cost much.

Currently at 57C with a goal temp of 88C by this evening.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm happy with my Smoke, although mine is just the plain RF model (no Bluetooth or wifi). Range covers my whole house and the remote only lags the base unit by 5-10 seconds at most. Final checks are done with my Thermapen. Honestly I just default to buying Thermoworks because everything I've ever bought from them has been very reliable, and because the probes are interchangeable.

This is exactly me.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Got my old offset smoker out for the first time this year, since we have a long weekend for Labor Day. Doing a boneless pork shoulder, since I'm out of practice (and this smoker is a bit finicky). Actually two haves of a shoulder, since I didn't plan ahead at all and that was what they had at the butcher.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"Welcome to Chèz Duzzy, here's three choices of protein and also some bread with melted fat lol"
:lol:

Seems appropriately Bavarian!

Looks great, I keep trying to talk myself into sous vide, but I eat so much less meat now than I used to. The other thing I want to talk to my butcher about is finding baby backs with more meat on them - the ones you get out here (at least from the grocery) are really pathetic. Yours look a lot better than that.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Sure thing!
This is Bear.

Best post in a thread of good posts. Love big dogs.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

That Old Ganon posted:

When browsing Craigslist for baby's first Weber charcoal grill, is there anything I should look for when choosing?

They really are basically indestructible. Check for any serious rust in the kettle body, and then around the top and bottom vents (they may just need to be oiled, but they should turn fairly easily). Make sure the body and lid didn't get bent, so they fit well together and it isn't hard to get the lid on or off.

My friend has one where the bottom sweeper for the vents is bent up slightly so it doesn't get at the ash all the way to the wall. It'd irritate the poo poo out of me, but he doesn't care (and it doesn't affect cooking).

Grates are easy and cheap to come by, if they're not in very good shape.

Really, it'd be pretty hard to break one. They're iconic for a reason.

e: I'm already looking forward to getting a bigger one - my family went from 1 son to 3, so the one that I have already isn't big enough and they're barely older than toddlers. Have to wait until next summer when I move, though. Don't need a 37" Ranch Kettle just yet (maybe when they're teens), but for a charcoal grill I don't think I'd ever getting anything but a Weber.

ABen fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 2, 2023

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Double post, but I'm planning on a cookout for my university chair for next weekend.

I have 18ish people who want pulled pork (I'm thinking 2x skin on pork shoulder), 3 people who want chicken (can be added later, nearer to the firebox) and then 4 vegans/vegetarians.

I asked, and people were ok with sharing a smoker with meat, but I was thinking I'd drag out the Weber and just keep the veggie stuff completely separate with its own tools so I don't have to worry too much about it. I was thinking smoked cauliflower (https://makeitdairyfree.com/vegan-smoked-whole-roasted-cauliflower/) and I also have some seitan sitting around that I can make some skewers out of and marinate the hell out of it so that it actually tastes like something.

This may be the wrong thread, but does anyone have any other veggie/vegan go-tos for grilling and/or smoking?

For the first time, I'm regretting only having the 2-channel Thermoworks thermometer instead of the 4...

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

JSmithOTI posted:

What about short ribs into chili and then into chili dogs?

I've loved each version and have no regrets
That looks insanely good. Now I want to make chili cheese dogs. Might not get the smoker out for it, but I'm sure I can get my hands on some short ribs.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

My primary complaint is that often directions for spatchcocking or halving will tell you to toss the backbone. Keep it, cook it right alongside, and enjoy the oysters and crispy skin secretly in the kitchen

Or just stash them in the freezer until you have enough for stock. Spatchcoking is for sure the way to go with any whole bird, in my opinion.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Slow Smoking Meat: I'm a Microbiological Experiment, Dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

I was going to say that my $25 Weber chimney has been up to anything I've ever thrown at it short of a windstorm or my own impatience, but then I saw that it won

so yay, I already have "the good one"

Finally, the Weber name on the side pays off! I definitely got mine because I am a savvy consumer, and not at all because they were sitting next to the grills when I bought mine and I'm lazy.

Chimney starters are one of those things that I understand on a conceptual level, and are obviously very simple, but feel like magic every time I use them. Really great for starting kindling/small logs for a firepit, too!