Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ABen posted:

This may be the wrong thread, but does anyone have any other veggie/vegan go-tos for grilling and/or smoking?

Has the cookout happened yet? You can do something simple like grilled zucchini spears that just need a bit of seasoning, herbs and vinegar. Grilled Brussels sprouts as well.

I've frequently made this vegan mac and cheese and it's turned out nicely. You may just need to tweak it a bit so you can sit it in the smoker for a while.

Vegan smoked baked beans are also good, and cornbread.

I recall someone here posted a description for making a grilled/smoked cinnamon pineapple that sounded amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah these are easy and great.

Obviously corn.

I did some eggplant and it came out really good as well. Portobello mushrooms of course.

I grilled some cherry tomatoes for a salad which came out legit.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention vegan elote.

Tofu "burnt ends" are also a thing. Jackfruit sliders as well. Both of those can use components you're already using for the meats, i.e sauces and rubs, so it shouldn't add too much complexity to the menu and still fits with the smoked foods vibe.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Bearing in mind the smoker will be 350° for a couple hours, what other bits and pieces can I throw in? Sides would be cool, but I’m really thinking of treats I can take home and spread out for a week. Like, I would absolutely love to do salmon, but I think the temp is too high for even hot smoked, right? What else?

Could you consider trying something like smoked cookies or brownies? 350° is about the right temp for that kind of thing, no?

Maybe baked beans, as they would definitely be easy enough to portion out for the week. You could even lay out a small tray of salt for smoked salt if you have the room.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

A meat thermometer would have prevented that.

Speaking of thermometers, Thermoworks are running a sale to help feed those impacted by the fires in Hawai'i.

$12.60 for a ThermoPop.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

It is a family friend who’s a boomer :ms:

The oven ribs were for another guest who wanted to join the barbecue vibes but who refuses to eat smoked meat. Her favorite food is bacon. Also a boomer

Did the smoker thread offend you recently? I'm not sure they deserve this kind of psychic damage.

Stories like this would be perfect say around the end of October.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
It sounds like the perfect excuse for a second round where you actually get to control the process and show them what it's meant to be like.

Has anybody had experience with the newer Treager Ironwood models, Char-Griller gravity charcoal smoker or the Pit Boss Series 3 pellet smoker? I've got the original Ironwood 885 and while it performs well, I'm starting to get annoyed by the flimsy drip tray. The size is also a little in the larger side for just primarily myself.

I was thinking of either upgrading to another Traeger, or going a slightly different direction with the Char-Griller. My partner's dad has the Pit Boss but hasn't even taken it out of the box.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've not been motivated enough to use my smoker for the past however many months so decided to rectify that this last weekend.

In typical fashion, the beef ribs that should have only taken 6 hours needed a couple of hours longer, and I added too much liquid to the baked beans which made them soupy. The beef cheeks were also taking forever, so I popped then into a small foil tray with a tablespoon of broth and covered them. I was rather happy with how they turned out at least, and really happy with the smoke ring (yes I know it's means nothing).

My partner wanted to try a new vegan mac and cheese recipe but insisted it go into the smoker covered, which meant no toasty breadcrumb topping. Using wholemeal pasta also made it a tad dry.

I was also rather chuffed with the colour of the bark.

All in all, it was still a moderately successful smoke. Next time I'll be smoking for company, so I'll definitely probably crutch everything. It was just getting too late in the evening for me to wait for the last few degrees this time around.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

What color were you goin for? That bark looks excellent to me. A tender black metorite is my goal on beef. You could have added a crust to the mac and tossed it in the oven for a bit. No shame in using multiple cooking devices.

I've always seen other pictures of jet-black crust, so I'm happy it happened with my stuff. I used Pit Boss competition blend (the only pellets available close to me besides Traeger stuff), and a tube with the same pellets and cherry chips.

I suggested the mac go into the smoker uncovered because it wouldn't have a hope of developing a crusty top otherwise. It was still quite good, but I suspect my suggestion will be listened to next time.

One thing I've started doing recently is adding a little sprinkle of cracked pepper to the top of the beef. It's such a welcome flavour and texture once everything is cooked through. I also made a Kansas City style barbecue sauce, which went well with everything.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Whats your rub on the beef to begin with? I usually use a blend of kosher salt and course ground black pepper to start with. Probably 60% salt and 40% pepper by volume. Ill add garlic and mustard powder on the fly if i think about it.

It's a blend of roughly equal parts ground black pepper and paprika, then smaller amounts of garlic/onion powder and salt. I've only recently found a store that sells cracked black pepper in a not-obnoxious grain size, but I'll keep using it now I've seen how well it enhances the meat.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I fired up the smoker for the first time in a while and cooked up some beef ribs.

Apparently the trick for me is to not care about the temperature at all and ballpark everything according to time, because of the two I ate, they were probably the most tender ribs I've made so far.

I smoked them at 225 the whole time, spraying a couple of times with cider vinegar after 3 hours, and wrapping in paper with a bit of tallow after about 4 hours. I put them into the cooler 3 hours later to rest for about an hour. I probably could have unwrapped them for a little bit to firm up the bark again, but I definitely had no complaints with the final product. At no point did I use a probe.

My partner knew I was happy with them because I started nodding and saying "mhm" immediately after the first bite.

I also smoked some chicken thighs for the dogs as a little treat. The older one knows what's up when she sees me walking around with the cooler now...

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

sinburger posted:

Anyone do a smoked chili before? I was thinking of hucking my veggies onto the kamado to get some flavour on there before putting everything into the slow cooker.

Alternatively I could just put everything into a big pan and let my pellet grill do its thing.

I've not made it, but I've seen plenty of pictures of people making "over the top chilli".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
On a whim I decided to chuck a few beef ribs on to the smoker. They seem to turn out best for me when I follow a time-based routine and ignore the thermometer altogether.

Definitely no veggies on that plate.

I guess for me it means less fiddling with the smoker and fussing over what the temperature should be, which results in a tasty end product.

I should have put them on a bit earlier though, because I forgot I was also smoking a few for the dogs, and they eat earlier than I do. No complaints from them at least! I didn't take a photo of the meat because I was too busy nodding and saying "mhm" while eating.