Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ABen posted:

My friend has one where the bottom sweeper for the vents is bent up slightly so it doesn't get at the ash all the way to the wall. It'd irritate the poo poo out of me, but he doesn't care (and it doesn't affect cooking).

This is happening on my Performer but only one of the sweeper arms somehow. It's annoying and I want to replace it someday. I work around it by pressing down while turning but poo poo still gets underneath it. Hasn't caused any problems though it is indeed irritating and I don't know exactly how it ever happened.

Anyone here have a Pit Boss Pro Series 1150? I'm thinking about picking one up this week for a big gathering next weekend. It would be my first pellet grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I Guess you cant really smoke chicken breasts lol. Despite taking them off at like 155 they were dry AF

You definitely can! Just take them off sooner. 145 and rest or 125-130 and sear a little, but that's just my method. I usually smoke very low until 125-130 and sear after.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone got a good formula for a picnic ham? Want to take my sweet time with it and really bail things

Last time I bought one by accident and just cooked it like a pork butt. It was really good! So that's a backup option.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m thinking about dipping my toes into slow cooking and have been looking at different kamados. Is there a good site that does reviews or comparisons?

Recs are of course also welcome. I’ve been grilling on char coal for years on my weber but not much of a chef. I’d like to learn more on preppijg the meat myself along the way.

If you have a Weber kettle already, you can do some fantastic slow cooks/smokes and try that out before you make an investment in a new grill or smoker. I've used a kettle for years and only recently picked up a pellet grill.

Amazingribs.com is a good resource for recipes though I'm not sure if they cover grills. There's also a ton of stuff on YouTube.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Get some practice with trimming before the real deal, and save those trimming for use later. Tallow is easy and useful to have on hand.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to smoke some salmon.
Anything I should know?
It's for meal prep to use in lunches during the week

I try to smoke salmon as low as possible. If you have time to let it dry out in the fridge, that can help too.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm not going to smoke it, but if you wanted to corn your own brisket for St Patty's, now is the time to start. I put mine in the brine yesterday.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Doing wings on the Pit Boss pellet tomorrow. I don't think I've done wings on it yet. I've always done charcoal.

Really looking forward to them!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I am a big honey hog fan. It needs a little kick though, so I often add killer hogs hot BBQ to it.

Holy gospel is one of my standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I have also heard this.

Pork ribs: membrane off
Beef ribs: membrane on

I've been just scoring the membrane on pork ribs instead of completely removing. I also like my ribs to be basically falling apart, so ymmv.