Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarrenH
Feb 19, 2010

derelict
I've had the little brinkmann el cheapo since last summer. A few disasters trying to maintain temp with charcoal led me to convert it to a propane smoker using an old turkey fryer burner. Basically, I just stacked some bricks around the burner and rested the smoker on top. I also put some lava rocks in the charcoal bowl to add some thermal mass to minimize temperature deflections (don't know if I need to do this, though, since there's a big bowl of water right above them). It doesn't take much flame at all to hold a nice 210-225 degrees. I just toss the wood chunks on the lava rocks. Overall, it's pretty easy to regulate temps and uses much less propane then I'd expected.

I'm probably missing out by using propane instead of charcoal, but I always get a good ring, flavor's great, and the convenience can't be beat. I probably drink too much while smoking to do much else.

I smoked a boston butt a couple of weeks ago. The ghetto smoker turned this:

Into some pretty good pulled pork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarrenH
Feb 19, 2010

derelict
(I apologize in advance for the low quality cell phone camera pics.)

Last month I transitioned from smoking on my Weber grill and an el cheapo brinkman (converted to propane with a turkey fryer burner) to this beautiful UDS:

I broke it in with some awesome pulled pork (apples are due to drunkenness, but dripping on beans is the way to go) and then some baby back ribs a week later (no sauce, rub only):

I also finally manned up and tried a brisket flat. It was my first and I think I wrapped it in foil too soon. I did put it back on the grate for an hour at the end, though, and ended up with some good bark, and it finished super juicy and tender with some great au jus:

Next day's lunch was fantastic open faced, toasted sandwiches (ate with fork only, no knife required):

Yesterday I smoked some wings for the NFC East Championship game (charred on lower grate after smoke to crisp up skin):

Then slathered them in buffallo sauce and made a wings/deer bologna platter:

Redskins won, and I was fat. A fantastic evening!

Overall, I'm really happy with my UDS. Once you learn temp zones and prepare against temp spikes before removing the lid during a smoke, it's a meat dream!