Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My first full packer brisket on a weber kettle. ~12 hours total cook time followed by a rest in a 155 F oven until serving time. Salt and pepper rub, red oak smoke.

Aggressively trimmed for the kettle:

After about 4 hours temp was around 155:

Unwrapped after resting in the oven in a butcher paper wrap:

Money shot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

How'd you set up the coals? Never tried smoking anything requiring more time than ribs on a kettle myself

I use a slow n' sear and then fill it with coals except for one corner. Then I light half a dozen or so and put them in the empty corner so that hopefully it will burn from one end to the other kind of like a half-assed snake pattern.

I find that I have to go in after about 4 hours and shove the lit coals back into a corner and then add more unlit coals to keep it in that 250 zone. I also use the slow n sear water trough which needs to be filled every ~2 - 3 hours or so but you can tell because the temp spikes up from 250 to 320 ish when the water is gone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah yeah the SNS is great- did you wind up having to trim the bottom vents at all or did it just maintain 250 w this method?

I close the bottom vents entirely and just adjust the top vents to hold low temps.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’ve been trying to find big old beef dino ribs to smoke all summer :mad:

Don’t know what communities you have around you but Brazilian butchers around where I live usually carry beef chuck ribs.

Edit: also hump meat, which, uh I’m not sure how you prepare.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sinburger posted:

Mad Scientist BBQ has a great video about cooking brisket, and in the most recent one he goes into detail in when he wraps. It has nothing to do with getting through the stall, and everything to do with fat render, color, and shrinkage. He only checks temperature before wrapping to make sure something super squirrly hasn't happened.

So yea, ride it out.

The recent stuff he did with Goldee’s bbq (#1 in Texas now?) where they were like, “eh we cook it till it’s done and only then wrap it in foil to rest in a warming oven.” Kind of shows that there isn’t a right way, just your preference.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My dad has a Weber iGrill 2 and I am smoking up some chicken drumsticks with two probes plugged in. One of them reported hitting 165 internal temp, so I grabbed a standalone meat thermometer and checked both drumsticks with probes in. It reported temps about 10 degrees lower than the Weber. Is this a case for getting new probes for the Weber? Or is the Weber known to be inaccurate?

Ice water/boiling water calibration test. I have an iGrill from before they were called iGrill (so like, 10 years old?) and it measured 211/212 until the water boiled off my jelly mixture yesterday so they aren't inherently inaccurate.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

And what exactly are the proper steps of that test? Just boil water in a pot and make sure the probes read close to 212? Then a bowl of ice and make sure they're close to 32?

Well, yes. Some of them also have instructions on how to adjust it if it’s off.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

I made beef rib roast for Christmas and that was one of the uses for the leftovers, delicious steak quesadilla

My oven broke Tuesday and so I have a rib roast on the grill @225 creeping almost ready. Threw on some oak to give it a little smoke kiss.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
FWIW I’m disappointed in my SMOKE.

I’ve used it maybe a dozen times and one of the probes has gone completely wonky. Like, often off by 200+ degrees.

Additionally the Bluetooth range is annoyingly short and the drat thing beeps and alarms all the loving time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

The health inspecter says we need to cook everything very, very, well done. Sorry thread.

Fortunately brisket goes to 200ish anyway which has long past killed anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There are a lot of really good Brazilian butcher shops near me.

When I go in I see these great looking four bone beef rib plates. I know that these aren’t the preferred for smoking 3 bone short rib plates but do they smoke up okay? I think the Brazilian method is to cook them slowly over direct heat?

Anyway, I want to get one of these and cook it, any thoughts on how or what to do with it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Just throw it away? I didn't think to do that. My wife bought it instead of butt, I wanted to make the best of it.

You could always make cracklins.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What do people prefer to do impromptu cold smoking? Like without spending a ton of money on specialty equipment.

Those pellet tubes? Or the saw dust spiral? Hot plate with a cast iron pan and wood chips ala Alton? Some other option I’m not aware of?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kaddish posted:

For what it's worth - I've done brisket a few times and think it's overrated both when done at home and at a bbq joint. worth doing at least once though.

Brisket burnt ends are godly though.

Counterpoint, I’ve done a brisket once at home and it was delicious. Also, usually when I get it at a bbq place it is also delicious.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sinburger posted:

I've had great success with starting my brisket the morning before, then keeping it wrapped in butcher paper in the oven on the keep warm setting. If your oven can hold a 150ish temp for many hours you'll get a super long rest and the butcher paper will keep it from drying out, but not let it get mushy.

Same. Worked a treat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I've been doing some looking online and I'm not sure if what I am reading is correct or not. I want to smoke some ribeyes tomorrow. They are a little over an inch thick and about 1lb each. Everything I read said it would take about an hour to get to med-rare (ish) does that sound right? I'm still trying to get the timing right on things.

Any advice? I was going to smoke them for a bit then turn the grill up and sear them.

I do a smoke and reverse sear for ribeyes. Get it nice and smoky at as low as you can get it. Which is 200 to 225 for me and smoke until 100 F internal. Pull and let rest while cranking it up as high as you can go. Once the grill is super hot quick sear both sides, pull and let rest.

Uses a fair amount of charcoal (I’m using a slow and sear so about one chimney) but gives great results.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

life is killing me posted:

Going to smoke some pork shoulder for my daughter’s birthday this weekend. Wanting to try doing it straight-up on my Weber kettle, wondering if it would be a good idea to baseline the temperature of the charcoal ahead of time, irt the Minion method, so I know how long it burns and at what temperature. Never done that before, but I’m understanding that it keeps a relatively steady temperature?

I find that on my Weber if I do a full slow n sear with a corner lit and close all the vents it holds -200 to 250 pretty reliably for 5 hours or so.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
For the bottom vents I find that the Weber lets in enough air that if the coals are well lit initially they’re fine but of course you need to monitor it and if the temp is dipping then tap it open a sliver. Minor changes to the bottom vents have big impacts but I find that I can get moderate adjustments from manipulating the top vents while the bottom is closed. Like I said, it stays in range for me and my Webber. YMMV.

Going to try smoking some cream cheese this weekend, anyone have a good topping idea?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I was thinking a ball of foil with the probe stuck through it, sitting on the grates (I've got a Weber bluetooth temperature probe).

This is probably fine. Just so you have an idea what the temp is where the meat is. If it’s too hot close the vent if it’s too cool open it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh, I wouldn't call that pre brined because it's started the brining process, but I guess it's not finished so what else would you call it.

“Previously brined for your convenience” not “previous to the brining process”.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ABen posted:

Seems appropriately Bavarian!

Looks great, I keep trying to talk myself into sous vide, but I eat so much less meat now than I used to. The other thing I want to talk to my butcher about is finding baby backs with more meat on them - the ones you get out here (at least from the grocery) are really pathetic. Yours look a lot better than that.

The meat on baby backs is the pork loin, which is fine but if you are going to go through the effort to get hand trimmed then go for St Louis cut because the meat on that is pork belly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t like St. Louis there’s not enough meat on them baby back 4 lyfe

Right? There’s not enough meat on high volume cheap St. Louis cut ribs because the meat on it is the pork belly, which everyone loves and pays $$$$ for so they trim it extra close.

So if you are going to get it hand trimmed then it will have lots of meat on it which will be better after a long slow smoke than low fat pork loin.

Like, this isn’t rocket science, it will have more meat on it because you’re getting it cut that way and it’s better meat that’s more appropriate for smoking.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

If the tallow is to waterproof it could I use butter?
Schmaltz?

It might not make a difference but butter has some water in it so you may want to clarify it first.

Also, a lot of the videos I’ve seen of people using tallow they smoke it for a while so that may help too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Gonna smoke a butt for Father’s Day and it came with the skin on.

How make cracklins?

I’m thinking separate the skin, dry it overnight in the fridge then put it on with the meat at 225ish to really dry it out. Then once the meat is done crank the heat way up to like 500+ and her rip until crispy?

Edit: started a little before 9 at 275, wrapped at 165 around 1:30pm in butcher paper. It’s sitting at 170 and I’m praying it’s done by 5 so it can rest a bit before dinner.

Edit2: pork is great. Tender and smokey. Cracklins are burnt. Ah well.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 18, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Throwing a BBQ for my team. 20ish people coming over tomorrow. 4 shoulders and a 13lb (pretrim) prime brisket on the smoker now, wrapping in another hour or two. Will pull them off when done and throw on 6 racks of spares.

Menu big:
Ribs
Brisket
Pulled pork
Collard greens
BBQ beans
Max and cheese
Banana pudding with chai caramel x2 (regular and dairy free for 2 folks)

7 hours in

Wtf? App won’t let me upload pic, and Imgur link isn’t displaying with img or timg tags.

Fixed:

Doom Rooster posted:

Pork and brisket took longer than expected, as expected. Ribs are now about 3 hours in.

No pics of the other stuff because it was 4:30am.

1. I think that looks absolutely amazing.

2. Lol @ ~70lbs of meat for 20 people, goon speed sir.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kwolok posted:

What's the deal with spritzing ribs with apple juice/cider? Is it a good idea? A bad idea? The recipe I'm following is saying to spritz with a combination of apple cider and butter every hour or so, but reading online people have such varying takes as to whether or not spritzing/mopping is good at all...

Realistically I would be basting anyway but the point should be the same I think

Break down of a hypothetical 'perfect rib' by major flavor components:

70% cook however until not raw.

20% cook slowly with low heat until tender.

3% slather on some sauce (Chili's baby backs stop here, loved by millions).

5% Add hardwood smoke

1.9% wet/dry brine and/or rub

.05% maybe wrap it or something?

.05% I dunno try spritzing?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Can’t tell from the photo but is it paint? Or carbon soot mixed with a bit of grease?

Because I get the latter on my kettle lid pretty frequently and it just peels off.

If it is paint then sand it off and buy high temp black paint to repair it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Thighs/drumsticks are best at like 180-185. White meat that high is absolutely disgusting though.

I pull white meat at like 145. Not a hint of pink left, and actually juicy and tender.

The safety tables are actually time at temp. For 150 it’s like 3 minutes?

Anyway, if you get the meat close to 150 and it carries over a bit over a couple of minutes you’re probably good.

If you pull at 145 the carry over probably gets it to 150+ and it probably sits in that range for a few minutes before it starts dropping anyway.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, the low fat content of bacon traditionally calls for added butter in the cooking process.

I don’t see how stewing pork belly in a pineapple is going to create ‘burnt’ ends but I expect it will be tasty nonetheless.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Mayo is whipped oil in an egg binder. It’s pretty much perfect for this application.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have this: https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke/

Works great.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I live in a town with a strong Brazilian population and the meat markets have a lot of very cheap, massive, 4 bone chuck rib sections.

In the tradition they seem to be pretty much universally cooked via moderate direct heat, usually about 18” to 24” above coals until just about falling off the bone.

I’m thinking of trying this out in a couple weeks but I’m wondering what happens if you just do the low and slow smoke route with them?

Are they just too massive and going to take forever? Or is there some detail with the fat content and intra muscular connective tissue that just makes 225 indirect heat a problem? Anyone know?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Ribs that look like they’ve been sauced with ketchup would get you killed in central Texas if you tried to serve them.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

I put it on a salad, some kale from the garden, cheese, almonds. It was good. Afterwards I started to feel really gross but I think it was mental. I drank some coffee and was ok. I'll let you know if I puke.

Eh, rotten meat has a smell and a slimy texture. You probably would have noticed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm sorry, what is this?

The spare rib cut is actually what pork belly is attached to. So, a bone in pork belly would be the whole untrimmed rib section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Smoke meats if got eats

Doing two racks of spare ribs tomorrow.