Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone tried making their own smoker a la good eats or seen on this website: http://makeprojects.com/Project/Clay-Pot-Smoker/877/1 ?

I'd like to try out smoking meats as a hobby. I'm not sold on the Brinkmann Smoke and Grill since I couldn't really make a good pork shoulder without a lot of extra work and moving the meat around during the smoking process. Seems to me it might be a better investment (of time and money) to build a ceramic smoker and use that. I'm a little concerned if it would work properly or if the pots would give an off taste to the meat, though. Anyone have tips or recommendations?

e: I guess I should say my priorities a little more clearly. I have a budget of about $100, maybe $150 if it's really worth the added cost. I'd like to be able to make pulled pork, ribs, chicken and roasts. I guess ease of use and reliability is a little more of a priority for me than having an absolutely perfect end result. It's more a hobby to get into over the summer than something I'd like to go crazy over perfecting.

What elements should I look for in purchasing a smoker?

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Thanks for the tips everyone. I already have a propane BBQ so I`m not looking for a combination grill/smoker. The more I think about it the more I'm not so sure about building my own, either. What's the advantage of a vertical smoker like the Brinkmann Smoke n Grill compared to an offset? Someone's selling one of these offset smoker's http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...920?Ntt=Smokers in my area for half price which seems like a good deal.

They also have this vertical one that's in my price range but there's not much info about it: http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...0925?Ntt=smoker

I'm having trouble deciding what to do because I don't know the important features in a smoker. Either way I don't have much of a budget but I don't want to spend money on something and find out it's impossible to make the foods that I want. I'm fine if it's not a perfect award winning end product, but I'd rather not have to move foods into my oven/coolers during the cooking process. The Brinkmann seems hard to find here (Toronto) and the Smokey Mountain is out of my price range.

What's the deal with electric smokers? Are they just for people who want no fuss at all but don't make as good of an end result, or what?

e: Very beginner question but in these offset grills do you end up with coals under the meat, coals/woods, or nothing under the meat and just coal/wood in the smoker box on the side?

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 6, 2012

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
A few questions, since I'm about to purchase this beginner smoker: Master Forge Charcoal Smoker from Lowes.

What tools will I need to start my first smoke, other than charcoal and wood? Do I need some kind of charcoal starter (I was raised with propane)? Is a new thermometer absolutely necessary and if so, what type?

Is pulled pork a good thing to try my first smoke or is something with shorter cook time like chicken or ribs much easier for a beginner?

Finally, do you guys have any good bbq sauce recipes you like to use? What buns do you recommend for pulled pork sandwiches? I think the traditional is just plain white bread but I had a sandwich on a nice sweet brioche bun and it was delicious.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking to get an electronic smoker. I figure I don't have the patience to babysit a charcoal smoker, I want to try out smoking meats and if I like the result with electronic smoker I might get a charcoal one later. My budget is around $300. Anyone have any recommendations? Are the auto loading wood biscuits a good thing, or should I avoid them? Do I still need to get a maverick type thermometer to measure internal temperature of the smoker or would a meat thermometer be enough?

e: MES 30/40 meaning a Masterbuilt Smoker? Like this one? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/electric-digital-smoker-with-window/825660 Whats A-maze-n (AMPS)? Thanks for your help dude, sorry for my ignorance!!

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 2, 2013

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Thanks for the tips regarding electric smokers. I gave it a great deal of thought and I think I'm going to go for a charcoal smoker after all. The electric models seem pretty pricey for someone just getting into the hobby. Anyone want to chime in and let me know if this stuff would work for a beginner smoker setup? Please let me know if I'm missing anything necessary, I'm a complete newbie and I plan to purchase the following and try my first smoke over the weekend:

Masterchef Vertical Smoker - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/Smokers/PRDOVR~0851013P/Master+Chef+Vertical+Smoker.jsp?locale=en
Maverick ET732 - http://www.amazon.ca/Maverick-ET732-Meat-DB-Tech-Magnet/dp/B00ANCXJR6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370544744&sr=8-3&keywords=maverick
Good set of tongs
Oven mitts (mine are crappy)
Charcoal chimney
Charcoal
Wood chips
Meat

Thanks for all your tips guys. It's complicated deciding what to go with. From the reviews I've read the Masterchef is a decent beginner smoker, it seems comparable to the starter Brinkmann models which are around double the price and hard to find here in Canada.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

GigaFool posted:

This is why I went with the MES40 after using charcoal for a while. I respect and enjoy the process of a good charcoal smoke, but at the end of the day it's just another cooking tool to me, and getting the best results with the least amount of work/energy is a huge benefit. I definitely use my MES a lot more often than I did charcoal, at all times of the day, in all kinds of weather. If I have to leave the house or go to sleep during a smoke, I don't spend a second worrying about it.

My major advice for owning an MES is to:
- get the AMNPS so you can smoke cold or hot unattended for up to 11 hours.
- Cover removable parts with foil for easy cleanup (not the grates,i obviously).
- Add a 12x12 unglazed ceramic tile above the heating element to act as a heat sink and to block the heat from going directly up the back corner to the vent.
- Take a can that fits in the top vent and attach a piece of screening to the top of it before inserting it. This improves airflow and keeps bugs out of the smoker.

Maybe I will go for the MES. I looked at a mes30 today (only model they had) and it looked a little small for doing pulled pork, can anyone weigh in on the size? Is the AMNPS a requirement for cold smoking or is it just a nice upgrade?