Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Traeger electric pellet smoker and I get a smoke ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a reason everyone says low and slow. You can't rush barbecue by turning the heat up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

Could you (or anyone) comment on how much pellet is used at a time? I understand it depends wildly on what is being done specifically but, for reference, how much is used in a complete fill of something like this? A pound? More? Less? I just am trying to figure out how much should be purchased and how long it would last.

I just packed my AMNPS with pellets and they weigh about 15oz (433g).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Traeger that has no trouble doing that.

It's an electric pellet smoker, I'm pleased with the results.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I live in California and keep it outside. Probably not a helpful answer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nobody cares that barbecue isn't the healthiest thing you can consume.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Raging River is good on salmon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Since you skipped steaming them I'd try steaming them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just heat up some oil and throw your cold pulled pork in there. Fry it up into carnitas.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MrUnderbridge posted:

flour tortillas

Nope.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, vac packed pork always smells like it's bad.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's more to it than that. I get nice smoke rings on my Traeger which is electric.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Woof! Woof! posted:

So, electric smokers as defined as hot plate chip smokers, do in fact fail to produce significant smoke rings - even though your electric Traeger does.

I guess I didn't know that other electric smokers worked crummier than the Traeger.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I chose the Traeger because I live in a townhouse and the rules explicitly forbid non electric smokers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Foodsaver bags.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's no such thing as USDA prime for pork. The USDA doesn't grade pork.

USDA.gov

quote:

Pork is not graded with USDA quality grades as it is generally produced from young animals that have been bred and fed to produce more uniformly tender meat. Appearance is an important guide in buying fresh pork. Look for cuts with a relatively small amount of fat over the outside and with meat that is firm and grayish pink in color. For best flavor and tenderness, meat should have a small amount of marbling.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've heard mixed reviews. I needed an electric smoker because my HOA forbids me from just getting a Weber Smoky Mountain. I bought a Traeger which uses wood pellets and I really like it.

I have this one: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/TFB29LZA#.VX3nATPASOA and it's nice because it has a hopper full of hardwood pellets that it feeds in at the right rate to maintain the temperature you want. Also unlike some electric smokers I always get a smoke ring.

They sell them at Costco a lot, there's a schedule floating around of when they're at each location. Edit: http://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

What the gently caress? Your hoa forbids bbq?

I live in a townhouse so it's not completely crazy. They don't care about my Traeger so I'm not that concerned.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

El Jebus posted:

To be fair it is a town house, so he shares walls or something with neighbors and it is often a rule at many apartments. It makes sense if it is in an area where fire code is the reason more than hoa or coa or whatever rules, too.

I think it's a fire code thing. My neighbors on both sides enjoy delicious BBQ luckily so nobody cares that I smoke all weekend.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's just a hopper, I bet if you took like a big plastic jug you could fill it, turn it upside down and dramatically embiggen the hopper when needed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I moved from the east coast to the west coast. I think the no pizza thing boils down the same way sushi does but in reverse.

On the east coast 9/10 pizza places are great. 9/10 sushi places aren't.

On the west coast 9/10 sushi places are great, 9/10 pizza places aren't.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Searing before sous vide doesn't work that well, you'd still need to sear afterwards. I agree with the earlier poster who also pointed out you'll dry the surface out while smoking which will make it easier to sear.

I'd think about freezing the steak for an hour or so before smoking to keep the core temperature down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

No, he can't, he's trolling.

I think people recommend boiling spare ribs before cooking them in an oven, but obviously that doesn't apply to baby backs in a smoker.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks pretty good to me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's nothing wrong with liquid smoke. Real smoke is better, sure, but if you don't have access to a smoker it's perfectly fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They sell salt free broth yes. Add gelatin to it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Smoked a tritip yesterday for the first time ever. About 2 hours on smoke and then I finished it in the oven at 450F. It's rubbed with Dizzy Pig's "Raising the Steaks" which is their Montreal steak seasoning.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You shouldn't use too much of it, but if you don't have a smoker and want ribs I think it's essential to use.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bear claws are like $8 and are awesome. Hurf durf unitaskers I have $8 and like them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Traeger at costco is a traveling sale. They probably won't have floor models because they'll be at a different store soon.

http://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use my regular oven probe thermometer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why tie them? If they're spread wide open isn't that just more area to develop more bark?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

jonathan posted:

That stupid avatar some mod put it there and then another mod probated me and said "by the looks of your avatar you're a sexist douche" or something.

This is some good work.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's like Indiana Jones only one BBQ place in town is good and the rest will kill you. Choose carefully.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like my Costco Traeger. It works well, pellets aren't too expensive, and I get a nice smoke ring.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I get two pork butts or three racks of ribs in my small Traeger no problem.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love my Traeger. I won't claim to be a barbecue genius or an authority but the stuff I've made on it has been really good.

You need to buy better pellets than their ones but they're easy to find.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

How long is too long to hold it though?

Two weeks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Isn't the flavor of that derived from smoked meat aka pastrami? I bet it'd be good you're basically just skipping the curing step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What is your favorite choice of pre-packaged rubs?

I like stuff from Dizzy Pig BBQ.