Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chemmy posted:

It’s not great at high heat but it’ll be a great smoker. I own an older model and paid about that much and I’ve been very happy.

yeah it depends on what you want from it. you can still grill steaks and hamburgers and whatever on it, but its only hitting 450-500. if you want an easy smoker that can still top out at like 700~ temps I have to recommend the masterbuilt 560. It's only $500 and while there are issues I have had with it (generally just making sure that the chimney and hopper door sensors. its mostly an issue with making sure that they are free of crud so that the bottom fan continues to run) the experience has been great. I have made ribs and pizzas (with the aid of a pizza steel) on the same grill.

I don't think it's the greatest smoker in the world. I think the insulation on the lid is an issue. But the inside temp is still really consistent. Its a very flexible grill/smoker and for a moron like me it is a great entry level thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

rockcity posted:

I was just checking out the Masterbuilt GS560 today. A store near me has their grills all at 20% off right now for the end of the season. I went in to check out a Green Mountain Grills Ledge Prime Plus but was intrigued by the Masterbuilt. Pizza capability on both of them is a plus l. Do you supplement the charcoal with hardwood in the ash tray to boost the smoke production?

Yeah, you can do that or stagger some wood in the hopper. I've done both and also a combination of the two and they all worked pretty well.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Warbird posted:

Is that a thing people like? Legit asking as I can’t do anything too fatty/chewy in my meat without a gag reflex kicking in. Never could do jello or whatever either for whatever reason.

I like it in certain quantities. The cartilage off of a chicken wing for example, or like the tendon on galbi are cool. I probably wouldn't order like a big thing of tripe or tendon in my pho though.

Fatty stuff is obviously delicious when its cooked well and basically melts in your mouth, although if I eat a big piece of it I feel like I'm about to give myself a heart attack

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Warbird posted:

More power to you my dude but the mental image of that made me want to start to gag. I have no idea why I’m like this.

Its cool. I have my own textural hangups. I don't like anything mushy like eggplant or whatever for whatever reason.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

apologies if its been brought up a bunch in this thread but for whatever reason i was like 800 posts behind

anyone ever use or have experience with recteqs? im at the stage of my life where i think im going to get a second smoker (because i have lost all self control) and i heard really good things about these guys. i have a masterbuilt 560 so i already have a charcoal/lump wood smoker, but i want something bigger and slightly more mindless for larger cooks, and a pellet smoker is perfect for that. with the added bonus that this guy gets up to 700F so i can still grill on it if i want

https://www.recteq.com/collections/wood-pellet-grills

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Paul Proteus posted:

I have had a rectec rt700 since early 2020. Its been bulletproof so far and I love the app/controls.

The probes they give are trash and I bought a modification to keep more smoke in it but I've loved it so far. I'd highly recommend.

using the built in probes kinda feels like going off the old temperature gauge they used (and i guess still do) slap onto those gas grills. i dont think i've ever used masterbuilt's built in probes. i've got the thermoworks smoke (and some other thermoworks probes) so i'm not too concerned about that.

otherwise hell yeah. i'm kinda torn between the 700, the 1000, and the 1100. after dealing with a surface area of 560sqin, I dont think I can go wrong going bigger, and they're all priced about the same

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

What kind of sausage do you guys like to smoke?

I live in Southern New England, so for me a sausage is a nice Italian or Portuguese sausage. Is that the kind of sausage that they’re smoking in Texas and Kansas?

i don't know about texas or kansas (i live in maryland) but i feel like i have to make my own if i'm wanting to do anything other than italians or brats, maybe chorizo. its kind of annoying. i can find some weisswurst at aldis but that's already cooked so i may as well grill it over coals at that point.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

also if you make brisket semi regular, save the trim for chili

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

king

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Murgos posted:

Eh, rotten meat has a smell and a slimy texture. You probably would have noticed.

yeah. like 90% of the time you can just use your judgement. just gotta be careful of things that can contain botulism because that doesn't give off a smell or a taste (plus it usually pops up in fermented or preserved stuff that's already gonna have a strong smell or taste)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So not concerning smoked meat but the topic at hand:

I went to my cousin's house for Easter (two weeks ago), she gave me some leftover ham (fully cooked) in a plastic container. It's been in my fridge since, and I'm kicking myself for not vacuum sealing and freezing it.

What are the odds it is still safe to eat? Assuming it's not slimy or smelly. I haven't checked it yet. I hate being wasteful so I'd hate to throw it out, but just not sure if I should trust it.

hams are cured so there's gonna be a large enough salt content that they stay good for a long rear end time. definitely a 'use your common sense' move. as long as it looks and smells fine, isn't slimy etc, you're good to go