Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cimber posted:

my last brisket i got up at 5 AM and started smoking by 6. the bastard was STILL not done by 4:30 and i had to take it off at 192 to let it rest for 45 minutes before all my party gets revolted.

I just ordered a Flame Boss 300 to hopefully keep this from happening. Even getting up at 4 AM I've never gotten a brisket finished before 8 PM and at least once we just said the hell with it and ate something else rather than waiting until midnight. And I'm always not letting it rest as much as I'd like.

The one time I tried an unattended overnight cook I thought I had everything dialed in and the fire still went out at like 3 AM.

Hoping with this guy I can put it on around 8 PM if I'm shooting for lunch and midnight if I'm shooting for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

Hell yeah boys Da_Smoke_Gawd_420 has logged on.

(i think keeping the grill in direct sunlight has an effect)

My adventures with the Akorn continue. Fired it up, held steady at 205, smoking like a chimney. Put the 7 lb butt on, and within 10 minutes all smoke stopped. But at least it's holding 205.

Going to be a long and productive day, i can feel it :getin:

From my experience smoking like a chimney = bad smoke.

What are you using for fuel?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has anyone smoked a tri tip before? I've grilled a million of them but want to try smoking one. Mostly trying to decide whether to marinate or dry rub and also curious how long it'll take at 225 or so to get to medium rare. I'm guessing 2-3 hours. I'm also guessing I'll need to sear it after smoking or the surface texture won't be great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

You would think so, but all the videos I've seen they put the wood chunks at the edge of the coal bowl. gently caress it, I'll try it next time.

I've never seen nor heard of this. With an egg I'm not even sure how you'd do it (keep the wood from touching the charcoal). I pour in some lump and then scatter a liberal amount of chunks around, then more lump, then more wood.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

El Jebus posted:

Your guesses are spot on. I do 225 until it hits 130, rest for 15 while I add coals/crank the heat. Quick search on both sides gets the middle perfectly med rare. I use red oak I found at a local socal store as that's what's most smoking sites suggest for Santa Maria style tri tip.

I do a dry rub of salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, chipotle powder. Super thin slices for sandwiches or half inch slices for the table and people can grab as much as they want.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Either going to do it tonight for late dinner or tomorrow for lunch. Probably tomorrow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My only other concern is about resting and temp rise. When I'm grilling a tri tip I think I started pulling them at around 118-120 because they rise such a massive amount while resting (which isn't a surprise because the exterior has been exposed to 500+ degrees while the interior is still ~120). The exterior being not any hotter than 225 makes me think I can basically treat continued cooking as a non issue. Like maybe pull it 3 degrees early rather than 15+.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CoffeeBooze posted:

What kind of coffee and how much works well for brisket? Ive experimented with coffee as part of a rub with salt and pepper on brisket a few times but the taste of the coffee never really came through. Ive been using a medium roast coffee at about half a teaspoon per pound of brisket. Adding more seems risky so Ive been hesitant to do that, but I have been thinking about coffee with chicory since I love that stuff.

I've used coffee a few times for brisket. My opinion is that if you could really taste the coffee it probably wouldn't be good and you're more just adding flavor profiles or umami or whatever the hell. Like if I ate a brisket and the dominant flavor was coffee, or beef and then coffee, I'd probably throw it in the trash. And I love coffee.

1/2 a tsp isn't much though from the rubs I generally use which probably start at 3 Tbsp of granulated garlic and then go from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buffer Overflow posted:

I usually just use Montreal steak seasoning as a rub because I'm lazy. It takes a little over 2 hours to smoke to get them to around medium. I don't bother searing them after. Just pull them off and let them rest before carving and they always turn out great. So you don't need to sear but I'm sure that would come out great too.

I wasn't going to sear it because I figured I could live without the texture/appearance at least with this first one but the thing was so gray and unattractive I ended up searing it.

Which causes this question:

What's the best way to take a kamado from 225 to grilling temp? I've never reverse seared anything on it before so this was the first try. I opened the bottom vent all the way and took off the top daisy wheel cap and things came up to grilling temps surprisingly rapidly but the thing was a blazing inferno. I let it burn for a while and then put the daisy wheel back on (but open all the way) and it started generating so much smoke I was sure I'd get the fire department dispatched to my location. So I just took it back off and seared my tri tip extremely rapidly bathed in direct flames.

I'm guessing I should have not taken the cap off, and just opened it, and it'll take longer to get up to temp but won't result in the problems I had?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

scrubs season six posted:

Has anyone smoked a tri tip before? I've grilled a million of them but want to try smoking one. Mostly trying to decide whether to marinate or dry rub and also curious how long it'll take at 225 or so to get to medium rare. I'm guessing 2-3 hours. I'm also guessing I'll need to sear it after smoking or the surface texture won't be great.

This turned out awesome and is the best tri tip I've ever had. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to grill one again, despite the time to cook differential. By far the tenderest tri tip I've ever had and the smoke really added a lot. Bonus is that doneness is far easier to control. With a grill I seared them until I got the color/texture I wanted (5-6 minutes per side?) and then moved them to the other half of the grill and shut half the vents and let them bake. Problem being that they were probably still baking at 500+ degrees and when the outside is 500+ and the inside is 120, you get a shitload of residual cooking. Which in my experience isn't super easy to control and if your probe isn't perfectly in the center, and dealing with tri tips that can vary in thickness by 25%, isn't real good for nailing medium rare. I think I ended up settling on pulling them 15 degrees before the temp I wanted based on the probe. And actually had some go up 20+ degrees after removed from the grill (resulting in overcooked tri tip).

Smoking them at 225 it only went up ~2 degrees after being pulled and the searing added a couple more so (pulling it 5 degrees before desired temp) it ended up being perfect medium rare.

Bad news is that this was supposed to be the test fire of the Flame Boss 300 i bought and it totally poo poo the bed. Won't register temps correctly (room temp = 600F and bouncing all over the place). Pretty sure it's a manufacturing defect that is not allowing the probe jacks to seat correctly in the controller but it also seems pretty indicative of the construction quality of it which would be: real bad. I'm sure I'll be able to get it fixed/replaced but it's not a great initial experience with their product. Their iphone app also has some real problems, chief of which would be that it'd tell you to register your unit and say that the serial number was optional, and when you tried to submit it'd tell you to enter the serial number. And when you enter the serial number, it'd tell you you had to enter the serial number and still not allow you to submit it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The stall is caused by collagen conversion and if your meat doesn’t stall it means it doesn’t have any collagen because it was grown in a vat in a Monsanto laboratory. hth

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Carillon posted:

I thought the stall was caused by evaporative cooling on the meat keeping the internal temp low?

It is, but I couldn't figure out a way to turn that into a dumb joke.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Yeah that's exactly what a phase change is. :wtc:

I've read that article before and am not going to read it again now but I think the question is of whether it's a simple phase change of water or a "phase change" of proteins/fats/Monsanto collagen binders/whatevers.

And the conclusion was that it's just water. It's evaporating which is obviously still a phase change so maybe they worded poo poo badly in some parts of the article or something.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what some people are saying and I shouldn't drink so much.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a kamado specifically because I wanted a charcoal grill (I only had a gas grill) and I wanted to smoke, but at least from my experience they're not that good at grilling. Difficult to be consistent and uses a lot of charcoal. There are things that you can get to make them better (like a grate that drops down closer to the coals) but I gave up and just bought a regular charcoal grill to go along with the kamado. Doing so improved my steak grilling consistency by 1000%. I do miss the ability to crank the thing to 1,000 degrees for searing though. My charcoal grill can't touch the kamado in terms of absolute peak temperature.

But for a one size fits all tool they can't be beat. We particularly love doing pizzas and baking chickens on it when we're not smoking something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dalstrs posted:

It's great at grilling but you need to get a grate that sits where the smoking stone would sit and put the coals on that, then use the normal grate to cook on.

Edit: I think I got the charcoal grate for a Webber to use on mine.

Yeah, that probably would do it.

I won't be happy until my entire patio is covered with grills though so...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Used the Flame Boss 300 for the first time smoking two huge shoulders starting at about 11:30 AM Friday night and finishing about 4 PM Saturday.

Worked great. Never touched anything until the end when I started fiddling with the top vent and also upped the temp because I was running out of charcoal (I hadn't loaded it completely full because there was a bunch of charcoal left in it from the tri tip I smoked the week before).

The Flame Boss I original got didn't work. Like the control panel was loose inside the housing and it wasn't allowing the temp probe jacks to seat fully so they didn't read right. But I emailed them and they sent me a new one (and a shipping label to return the old one) so even though it seems like their quality control and manufacturing quality is pretty poo poo, it hopefully won't matter since their customer service makes up for it.

The vast majority of the time it was +/- 2 degrees of the set temp and there was really only one spike up to 236 and then down to 218 correcting for it. (the first spike I'm not counting since it hadn't settled in yet and the last ones were me loving with it)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CapnBry posted:

Oh man that's a really good idea. I've done a number of pizzas on my egg and haven't been 100% pleased with how they came out. Better than my oven but the crust edges never seem to get brown enough before everything goes melty. I'll try your brick lift because that just makes sense.

I posted a while back here about making pizza in 90 seconds at 750F on the egg, saved here for posterity. TL;DR it burned!

We use a dough recipe that specifically tells you to pre cook the dough on one side, then flip it and put the toppings on and put it back on the grill. Fixes the issue you're talking about and also makes it way easier to get loaded pizzas onto the grill since you're not trying to wrangle floppy raw dough loaded with toppings onto the grill surface.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Part of me knows that, but for some reason I still want the BGE because I’m dumb like that I guess. :shrug:

Also my dad wants a BGE and apparently wanted one before I even said anything to him about it, so there’s that too.

This is why I’m trying to convince my dad to get the XLarge. I might have to meet him halfway and tell him I’ll pay for part of it if he buys the XLarge instead of the Large. Only problem is that plan requires me to have money of my own, which I don’t. :(

The large will do a full brisket or multiple shoulders or 99% of what most people do. It probably will feel constricting if you're trying to do a shitload of ribs or a bunch of different meats for a big get together or something though, which is where the XL shines.

Just get the XXL and rent a crane to hoist that bastard into the backyard.

For the lamest voyeurs ever, you can watch a live chart of the shoulder I'm smoking right now:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/189494

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A couple pics from the shoulder last weekend. Half got eaten as is and the remaining half got made into chili verde.

I think the Flame Boss reads a lower grate temp than I'm used to. Possibly because it's an alligator clip that clips to the grate vs a separate clip that holds the probe ~1 inch above the grate. I think next time I'll try 240 or 250 instead of 225 because I don't think you need to take 18 hours to cook a 7.5 pound shoulder.

There's the final though. The vertical jog 1/5th of the way in I think is a loss of wifi, which is not surprising with my shitbag router.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 2, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RisqueBarber posted:

What are you guys smoking for the superbowl? I typically make wings and pulled pork nachos but I'm looking for some fun new recipes to try.

To me the wings are key. If you've got amazing wings then nothing else matters. That said I'm planning on doing a brisket and a shitload of fried wings.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for a bit, and popping in to say yes. Wings are essential to Super Bowl.

I've got a concern, though.

I only recently got a smoker, just a small, inexpensive Masterbuilt and would love to smoke wings for Sunday, but I'm worried the skin won't be crisp.

The party is at my friends, about a ten minute drive from my place. My plan is to brine wings overnight, then the morning of, take them out, pat dry, and put them back in fridge uncovered to dry out for a few hours.

Take them out a couple hours before heading over, put a nice rub on them, get the smoker going to about 250 F, put some pecan chips in there, and smoke the wings for about 2 hours. Transport to my friend's place, and once there, crank their oven to like 425 or 450 and put the wings in for maybe ten to fifteen minutes to REALLY dry out that skin and get them crispy.

I've done oven wings before (usually using Alton Brown's method of steaming first to render out fat so that the skin can get crispier AND not fill the kitchen with smoke) so I figure smoking beforehand will serve some of that same purpose of steaming to render out fat so I can oven cook them nice and high without fear of burning anything?

That sounds like it'd be awesome but I've never done it so I can't say for sure. Will love to hear a trip report on it.

I just fry the poo poo out of em using (more or less) the America's Test Kitchen recipe.

To me the only question would be finishing them via baking vs frying because starting them via smoking is definitely gonna be better.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doom Rooster posted:

That is exactly what I would do. They'll be awesome.

Bonus points if your friend's oven is convection.

Yeah I'd say convection would definitely be better than non.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide, 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

Definitely gonna try this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I know jack poo poo about Traeger's other than:

1. My boss told me had one of the bigger ones and that's what he used in his backyard for everything.
2. I've seen at least a little bit of their infomercials when I'm up at 5 AM and am looking for the TV remote.
3. His wife bought him the "PTG" which I assume stands for Portable Traeger Grill.
4. He brought it to work today and we unboxed it and used it on two tri tips during a ~3 hour "safety luncheon."

And I was pretty impressed. For his use case (trailer camping) it seems perfect but this relatively little guy also had just enough grill space to do two tri tips at once and was definitely generating a ton of sweet smelling (hickory in this case) smoke. I'm sure the BTU per dollar cost of Traeger wood pellets is insane. And he also had Traeger branded beef rub which is kind of a lol to me. But still, pretty impressed.

I don't think it gets hot enough (around 450 max I think) to do a steak right unless you like medium well, but for a lot of stuff it'd work great. I had to turn down the heat on the tri tips or they would have ended up with way too much char.

I'm wondering if I could get away with replacing our gas grill with one of these. We have three grills and the only one the spouse will use is the gas grill and mostly for stuff like chicken tikka masala where flavor from the heat maybe doesn't matter much.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

there are no good BBQ places here in Northern Nevada

Oh I dunno, I thought Butcher's Kitchen in Reno wasn't too bad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DiggityDoink posted:

Welcome to smoking meat! If you're looking for easy things to try on it, ribs, salmon and pork butt are all super simple and will come out amazing basically every time.

For me pork butt is super simple and brisket is pretty simple but ribs aren't always that easy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

It's not bad, it's just not what I would consider good, very average, the flavor was alright but the meat that I had there (brisket, my favorite) was a bit tough for bbq. BJ's BBQ also isn't bad, but their food doesn't get as smoky as I like, it's usually cooked very well though and their Kick rear end Fries are amazing (and probably 5,000 calories.) I got spoiled when I lived in Phoenix. My friends and I went to a place down there (Thee Pitts Again) at least once a month because it was so amazing. Though I heard that they have gone downhill recently from my friends who still live there which makes me sad.

I've only been to Butcher's once and I would have said their brisket was above average but that's also qualifying that the average barbecue places brisket is crap (crazy dry seems to be the norm). I think even good places probably have some variation in quality though also.

Yeah I almost mentioned BJs also. The fries are indeed kick rear end. To me BJs is a pretty kick rear end diner/breakfast place that also happens to do barbecue. I love their shrimp and grits (which if the kick rear end fries are 5000 the grits are probably 8000).

Have you had Brother's Barbecue or that take out only place on the edge of Sparks? I have not.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deathbagel posted:

I haven't tried either of those. My M.O. is that I wait for friends to go eat places, then if they tell me those places are good I go and try them myself. Nobody I know has tried them yet, so I haven't gone out of my way to do so either.

If you try them, let me know if they are worth my time or not!

I will. I hadn't even heard of the Brothers place but I'd seen the takeout place because I don't live too far from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Smoking a tri tip. Only the second time I've done it. Hopefully the searing portion turns out better than last time.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/196499

I'm also assuming that one of the temp probes is going to freak out like last time and gently caress up the chart but if so I need to figure out which one it is so I can throw it away. But so far all three are agreeing with each other.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t forget to burp your eggs boys. It finally got me. I no longer have a widows peak.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tater_salad posted:

My brisket always takes forever.. Probably because I don't foil.. I need to try again and foil.

I don't foil either. poo poo just takes forever.

Though I will say that I'm pretty sure the pit probe for the Flameboss reads higher than what I'm used to (maybe because the FB alligator clips to the grill rather than being held above it by a clip?) because pork shoulders started taking an insane amount of time compared to what I'm used to. I think I'll start running at 240 or 250 instead of 225 when I'm using the FB.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dad wants to start with the pork roast, because we already have it and he wants to get rid of what we’ve got before we buy more food.

I don’t know what specific cut of meat a “pork roast” is though, but when I find out I’ll let y’all know so I can get some recipe ideas.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-marinated-pork-tenderloins-recipe-1948375

That's my favorite marinade for a pork that isn't a pork shoulder. I'd take it easy on the lemon zest though. Ends up too lemony for me if you put much zest in. I've never used that marinade and then smoked it though, always either grilled or ovened.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

I'd never use a chimney for slow temp startup. My SOP is an electric igniter under a few lumps just to get them started.

I used electric only for years but couldn't find it after I moved and have used a chimney the last few times and I haven't noticed any reason not to. If anything it speeds up the process.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

atothesquiz posted:

You're forgetting that he's not allowed to buy a 99cent a pound pork butt ($10!!!) and instead must use mystery pork that's not ideal for the $2000 appliance he so desperately needed.

I'm having flashbacks of the AI thread about some kids 300ZX.

This post is wrong in basically every way, including that I'm pretty sure it was an Altima, not a 300Z.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MOTHER

FUCKER

I DIDN’T KNOW

I DIDN’T KNOW :gonk:

It was going at a little under 430° for around 4 hours. Is my (dad’s) baby ruined now? :ohdear:

No. And The factory gaskets suck anyway and you’ll probably end up replacing them with better ones within a year regardless.

And you’ve got your top vent open too much. Start with it like 5-10% open, not 25 to 33.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 2, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

atothesquiz posted:

Everything I said was accurate, especially the comment about Sperglord Firecock's 300Z.

I thought you were talking about this guy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

No. And The factory gaskets suck anyway and you’ll probably end up replacing them with better ones within a year regardless.

And you’ve got your top vent open too much. Start with it like 5-10% open, not 25 to 33.

To expand on this, if you're doing things manually it's fine to have it more open as it's coming up to temp but you want to practically close it all the way once you start getting close to your target temperature. Maintaining 225 means your top vent is literally open just a tiny sliver. Your 25-33% open is more like if you want 400+ to bake a chicken or something.

But since you're using a thing that has a fan in it that's capable of forcing air in whether it wants to be there or not, just start with the top vent very nearly closed and leave it there. Like you can't even fit a toothpick in there. Or maybe barely fit a toothpick in there. The fact that you've apparently got the thing set at 225 and it's stable at over 300 means your fan is completely off and it's maintaining over 300 degrees just through natural draw which obviously means your top vent is WAY WAY too open.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VERTiG0 posted:

Kingsford is a fine charcoal. Briquettes and lump both have their place. Right tool for the job.

Agreed on all counts

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/201809

Getting ready to do a corned beef brisket. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that smoke it for three hours or so and then either wrap it, or put it in a sealed foil pan with water/barbecue sauce/mustard/whatever.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've done a lot of brisket but never corned beef.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

It's basically a pickled brisket, no? Thinking it would cook the same way as a common brisket. I'd wrap it when it hits stall and then crisp it at the very end.

Yeah I’m just doing it like any other brisket. But nobody ever says to put a regular brisket in a foil pan with water so I thought maybe there was some secret corned beef thing to make it extra corned beefy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

Yeah I’m just doing it like any other brisket. But nobody ever says to put a regular brisket in a foil pan with water so I thought maybe there was some secret corned beef thing to make it extra corned beefy or something.

Was tasty but ended up dry :saddowns: Which is a problem I've generally been able to avoid with regular brisket.