Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im sorry if this the wrong forum, but can anyone recommend a smoker? I see a lot of eggs on here, but i know that wont work for me due to size. Id like something that could smoke a lot of jerky or many racks of ribs or half chickens. I'd occassionally do brisket. Im familiar with electric from when i worked for butchers and as a cook, but im open to anything (except the egg).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

nwin posted:

Why’s everyone so averse to cutting ribs in half? That seems to be one of the main complaints amongst the WSM 14” and an MES 30” that I hear of.

I bought a 40” MES because of that and people saying it’s better to have more than not enough, but I never entertain, and if I do it’s for maybe one other couple where one slab of St. Louis ribs or a pork butt is still plenty of food.

I was thinking of the 14” because it’d be a decent size for the two of us and my son when he actually is old enough to start eating decent amounts. I know I complained about the MES in here and I’ll acknowledge some of it was my inexperience but I guess I’m just a sucker for the smoke ring and using fire instead of having an outdoor oven.

I’m sure if I get a WSM I’ll be in here composing about consistency and temp swings.

My main complaint about cutting ribs is that end piece will usually end up dry. Not a huge deal, but if I'm gonna spend the money on a smoker, I'd rather not compromise or settle on one that just isnt quite big enough to cook something that is a staple in smoked foods.

Thank you all for your input on the different smokers. It has been very helpful and informative.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bape Culture posted:

Pulled pork went very well. Completely ruined the briskets though. What temps do you guys take them to for crazy fall apart juicy stuff? Think I was miles out.

Tommahawks were amazing. I dry brined and used the amazingribs rub recipe someone here recommended (thanks!) and took them to 48 degrees, let them rest and then a few minutes on the fire to char up.

All in all not a bad first attempt but I’m pissed off the brisket was so wrong.

How long were the briskets on and at what temp? Shoot for 200 to 205 on brisket.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

ZombieCrew posted:

How long were the briskets on and at what temp? Shoot for 200 to 205 on brisket.

E: 94C+

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bape Culture posted:

Why so high? Like brisket in a sous vide is amazing at 60-70. If the internal temp is same how is it more or less cooked on the smoker?? Very confusing and interesting :)

You could get a point cut, flat cut, or a whole brisket. Most of the fat is in the point.

I havent sous vide a brisket, but ive made a ton of corned beef in my life. I need to simmer a corned brisket in a pot for at least 4 hours for it to be chewable. Simmer temps are usually around 190to 195f in a pot of water. How long do you sous vide a brisket at your temps?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So i used to make sausage for a living, but that was 10 years ago. Its amazing what you forget when you stop doing it. I want to do a smoked jalpeno cheddar.

5# pork butt
1 Tbl kosher salt
1 tsp prague powder
8 oz chopped jalepeno
1 # sharp cheddar cubed
1 Tbl Garlic powder
Maybe some dried paresley for color

Stuff sausage and let dry until tacky. Then smoke at 200 until done?

Is 200 too high? Ill get a cold smoker attachment if it is.

Im lookin to smoke the whole batch and freeze what doesnt get eaten that day.

Any input would be appreciated. I just cant remember temps and the recipes i see out there seem too high of temp.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So i bought an MES that arrived friday. Tonight i smoke boneless half chickens with an herb rub. Went in at 225 and it went much faster than i expected. I was expecting 2.5 or 3 hours and it was nearly done in an hour and a half. I finished them off under the broiler to crisp the skin a bit. I also smoked some corn on the cob to go with it. Turned out amazing. Meat was juicy and smokey throughout. No pics, because i was hungry.

Next meal might be tri tip or steak. Im lookin at the slow smoker attachment for the mes so i can do jerky.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Any recommendations for a cold smoker attachment for a MES? I know there is one made by masterbuilt, but just seein if there is a better option.

Thanks in advance.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im planning on doing my first brisket in a MES. Do you usually put a pan of water in with brisket?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So im gonna do ribs this weekend. Im lookin at tryin the 321 deal, but i guess 221 if they are back ribs? What if i dont want sauce on the ribs?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

Anyone shilling for a specific predetermined rub, rather than mixing their own, is not to be taken seriously. :colbert:
CHANGE MY MIND

If you Click the link, it takes you to an article with a free recipe. Amazingribs.com is a great site.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So, I asked my lovely SO to get a 12 pound turkey, but the place I asked her to go to only had a 21 pounder left.

Do I need to do anything special for what would be at least a 10 hour smoke on large turkey? Presentation is not important and I could break the turkey down if that would shorten the cook time. I also have prague powder and could make a curing brine?

Ill be smoking in a MES 30 at 225F.

Any recommendations or tips would be much appreciated.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Thank you everyone for the quick replies!

Ill break the bird down and smoke at a higher temp.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If im gonna break down a turkey to smoke should I debone the breast or leave the bones on?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

This is me...

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Xander77 posted:

My mangal (this sort of thing) is falling about due to age and use.

What (if anything) should I look for in a replacement?

What's the advantage of proper gas \ coal grill over a mangal and what should I look for, assuming I decide to purchase one?

Being able to close it and increase your cooking temp or have the ability to smoke something seems worthwhile over another mangal. Just depends on what you like to cook.

I prefer gas grills over charcoal because they get hot fast and you dont have to wait for the coals to light and burn down. I dont have time for charcoal during the week. The flavor from charcoal is pretty nice though.

E: Look for sturdy construction, higher BTUs per burner if propane or natural gas, stainless steel grates on charcoal or they can be porcelain coated on gas.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2020

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Would woodchips work decently in one of those tubes or mazes or do i need to use pellets or dust?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can get a whole ribeye sub primal but that’s as close as I can get. Even for me (two turkeys for thanksgiving for four adults and five kids), the whole ribeye is a bits much for the Mrs, me and the kids.

Cut the ribs off and cut your own steaks or a roast and some steaks. Freeze what you don't want to use. There is hardly any waste in it, especially if you got a plan for the ribs.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

My wife is on a bone broth kick, and I'd likely used the rib bones for that.

You can definately do that, but I highly recommend femur bones. Especially the end "knuckle" pieces. Bone broth is all about extracting as much collagen as you can and those joints have a ton. You can get those bones on the cheap too.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Theilen pushes off on rookie Vildor. Defensive pass interference. Suuure.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Sorry about that. Clearly wrong thread. Didnt even notice until now.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't goose like really really oily/greasy?

It has a lot of fat, but it all goes into the drip pan when you cook it and keeps the bird nice and moist. I made one in the oven for christmas last year and saved the fat for cooking. It keeps for a long time in the fridge and makes roasted potatoes taste very rich. I dont know how well smokey fat drippings will do, but it could be worth a shot.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

BraveUlysses posted:

the real answer here is to stop trying to "smoke" tri-tip and treat it like the roast that it is.

Or the answer is to treat it like a steak. Smoke it hot (275 to 300) and let it get to the temp youd eat your steak. Then slice across the grain after a 10 to 15 minute rest.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Are you in Europe? (hence the ukrainian interference)

Id just grab that part number and google any nearby retailers for it or maybe try ordering direct.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

toplitzin posted:

That's 100% a loin.

BBQ is done with a 1 or 2, you have a 3:

1. かた/肩 /kata/ shoulder
  2. かたロース/ kata rosu/ shoulder blade
  3. ロース /rosu/loin

Also called "backstrap" on game animals.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

Tossed a bunch of pounds of belly into the maple brine, and tossed a brisket point on the smoker this AM.
What temp is a decent target for the point? My probe is still on the fritz, so have to go poke it every so often with an instant-read.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hasselblad posted:

Ended up foiling it around 160, tossing in the oven with a quiche at 190ish and pulled about 15 minutes later. Holy hell it is good. I truly wish I could just by whole points without the flat. Like not the flat entirely trimmed from the point, but like how I simply chopped the point end completely off with the excess flat still attached underneath. Flats, shmlats, give me a point!

You could maybe try your hand at corned beef or pastrami with the flats if you wanna buy a whole one and cut it yourself.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bob A Feet posted:

drat gotta say smokin a tri tip was super easy. Did like 250-300 for an hour til it got to like 110 and then seared it on high heat til 130 inside. It was beautiful and easy. Definitely recommend:

This is what i wanna do next so much. What were your sides? Just lookin for inspiration.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

life is killing me posted:

I’ve got an electric Masterbuilt and the water pan is rusty—don’t have time to get it all off before smoking today. What are the chances that throwing some aluminum foil over the surface of the water pan will work? The smoker itself is seasoned just fine, it’s just this water pan that makes me nervous. Does it even matter for 1-2hrs smoking? Maybe I try and get a new one after this?

Rust wont matter. You arent using the water pan as a cooking surface. Just dont drink the water when you are done.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Yeah it’s my electric smoker.

See I was thinking it was gonna like be in the humidity floating around and make its way to the food. I know a small amount of rust won’t hurt if it’s just a spot or two though. I just was afraid with no rational reason I guess, but still

Nope, when water transitions from liquid to gas it will leave everything else behind.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
How much baking powder should you use? A light dusting? Coated?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I usually use kosher salt for most things i cook. Would kosher salt work if i wanted to smoke some? How long do you normally smoke it for?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

twit666 posted:

Took a couple packaged corned beefs from Sam's, soaked them in water overnight. Immersion cooked for 15 hours at 140. Then threw them in an ice bath for an hour, rubbed with black pepper and coriander. Smoked with apple, cherry blend and it was the best damned pastrami EVER!

How long did you smoke them for? I need pastrami.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Yeah...me too.

Charcoal burns hotter than wood. Just fyi.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
My dad poured a small concrete slab and stuck a metal loop in it to chain his weber gas grill down. The downfall of that grill was a tumble out of someones truck when he volunteered to grill for charity. Broke the lid off at the hinges. I never saw him so mad. I also have never seen someone slam and toss a heavy grill lid like that.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Gonna separate the point and flat on a brisket today. I have a tiny electric smoker and this is my first time doing this so send thots and pryrs and hugz my way plz. Hopefully the smoker can handle it. How long should it take to smoke a 13lbs brisket without crutching it? The more I think about it the less I want to sous vide it first because it’ll be tough to handle it after without it falling apart before I can get it in the smoker so though I’m not completely decided against it I’m leaning that way heavily

It aint bad if you prepare. Put your rack on a sheet pan. Put your bag of meat on the rack. Cut it open and gently flip it onto the rack. Minimal movement.

Id think you wouldnt sous vide it to 203 right? Just get it to a temp that lets you get several hours of smoke on it.

Beyond that, its probably a 10 hour+ smoke without wrapping. And thats only because you split it.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Any of you have any recommended beef jerky recipes? Im tryin out a soy sauce/worchester sauce marinade that im gonna smoke tomorrow in my mes. I love the Loves/robertsons beef jerky. Im gonna look up copy recipes on that, but if you have any go to recipes, id love to see them.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

So I've heard people discuss injecting meat, but I'm unclear how it is effective, and I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

The muscle tissue doesn't really absorb that much liquid, and there isn't really a whole lot of empty space inside a muscle for the injection liquid to have a place to go, so isn't the liquid mostly just sitting in the physical space left by the injection needle?

It will eventually permiate the meat. The tissue is pourous enough. You usually need to inject in many locations. Injecting is also very useful (or even required) for curing thicker cuts like corning a whole brisket.
The brining solution wont make it all the way into the center in a week and you really dont want something sitting in a brine much longer than that.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Got a source for this?

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/curing-meats-safely/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
If you are injecting for flavor, then the liquid is usually salty and has other flavors. The liquid will be saltier than the meat and the exchange you mentioned will happen until equilibrium if left long enough. The salt helps the meat retain some moisture, but only to a certain point and the liquid will cook out anyways, so your just injecting to add flavor. You need to use injections about every inch. It spreads, but not very far.

There is water loss from the meat through out the butchering process though. Slaughtered, skinned, drained, gutted, and then the sides of beef are hung up and graded. The grades are the blue stamps you sometimes see which are made out of grape juice. If you buy a side of a cow, they usually hang in a cooler for a week or more dry aging. If its getting broken down into primals, they get started on that a bit sooner and pack it in liquid so it doesnt spoil, but it is wet aging at that point and can stay like that for several weeks.