Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
RE: Masterbuilts and Mavericks

Anecdotes ahoy!

Mavericks... this one's short: the fragility of the probes cannot be overstated. You can look at them funny and they'll stop working. I attempted to follow their super-specific cleaning instructions, keeping water away from the probe shroud/cable junction. Didn't matter. I've lost 4 probes in the past two years, and if you do the math against how many smokes I've actually done in the last two years the ratio is crap. I have one probe left that's functional, and I didn't even use it last weekend. I got a Thermapen for Christmas and it was so quick to check temps at the halfway mark, I just didn't bother digging the Maverick out of the drawer. The Maverick has gone through probes so fast that even my wife has noticed and has asked "what's next?". This is what's next: http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke . Chances are that'll be my birthday present.

Masterbuilts:

I got my 6-rack digital Bradley in early 2009, leaving my offset with my brother in law when we moved cross country. Late 2011 he got a 40 inch digital Masterbuilt. Late 2012, my mother-in-law joined the club with a 30-inch digital Masterbuilt. Both of them got weather covers and used them religiously. At the time they got theirs, they worked like a charm, and were far less expensive than my Bradley. I'd decided that when the Bradley died, I'd be replacing it with a Masterbuilt.

Summer 2015 both of the Masterbuilts started exhibiting electrical issues. Temperature control became a nightmare and eventually they both started blowing GFCI circuits. Plug them in to a non-GFCI and they'd blow a main fuse. Both of them have just sat since then, both of them are probably being replaced with something else this spring. So that's a 40 that lasted under 4 years and a 30 that lasted under 3 years.

My Bradley is 8 years old last month. It finally started acting kind of buggy on the puck feed on this last smoke. Here in a couple weeks I'll take the generator/control box apart and clean the entire mechanism. If that doesn't resolve it I can get a full replacement generator/control box for 150 bucks.

So presuming I can't get the puck feed to behave in a stable fashion, that's 150 bucks every 8 years as opposed to 300-400 bucks every 3.5? And the generator/control box swap takes about 30 seconds.

Mileages vary and all that, but I'm really digging the stability and the modularity of my Bradley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU