Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
The BBQ place near me uses their extra brisket to make brunswick stew, it is very very good and I expect it would be a good use of overcooked brisket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
You should have cut the loin in half and done half to 145 and half to 170, just to show them the difference, or even just to not ruin your own meal.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Where would one actually find steaks for $27 a pound?
edit: Besides a Ruth's Chris

In California at my Local high quality butcher, Tenderloin is 30 a pound, T-bones are 27, and bone in Rib-Eyes are 25.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Kalman posted:

Reverse sear seems to be the widely recommended method. Kenji's approach looks pretty good to me (and now I know what I'm doing for Christmas dinner this year.)

I followed Kenji's method for this a few years ago for a Christmas dinner, and it was easily the best meal I have ever had. The crust on this is so tasty and the combination of the crust and the tender meat is amazing. Adding a pellet smoker into the mix for this sounds like it could take it up another notch, I may have to try that for this Christmas.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I am of a similar mind to you in that I do not really care for ribeye steaks and love some tenderloin. My go to cheaper alternative to tenderloin is the hanger steak, which I finally found a regular supply of locally. It can be hard to find, but if you can, you should not pass it up. Tri-Tip is also another one of my favorite cuts, just do not make the mistake of treating it like brisket as so many bad BBQ joints do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Murgos posted:

Personally, my preferences go Rib Eye -> Tenderloin -> NY Strip -> flat iron (aka hanger) -> skirt -> Top Sirloin -> etc...

I feel the NY Strip gives up too much flavor over a tenderloins texture, especially if served with a nice brandy au poivre or herb butter. I might be prejudiced against top sirloin because when you go someplace that has 'cheap steaks' it's almost always an over cooked top sirloin.

While flat iron steaks have some similarities in taste and texture to hanger, they are completely different cuts of beef, from completely different parts of the cow.