Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

GigaFool posted:

Christened the Masterbuilt 40" + AMNPS last night at 10:30. The shoulder took 15 hours to reach 190 without any foiling. The ribs went on at noon. Lamb chops for a snack.

I've thought about buying the same one.

I've read that that Masterbuilt has trouble keeping the proper temperature meaning it gets too hot. Notice this problem at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

GigaFool posted:

Before I cooked any food in it, I made a couple modifications to make sure this doesn't happen.
- Can on the top vent to improve draft.
- 12" x 12" unglazed ceramic tile placed directly over the chip tray + element, this acts as a heat deflector + heat sink to help maintain temps after the door is opened/shut.
- The perforated foil on the top grate. I plan on putting this higher up, but I figured it would help diffuse the heat at the top instead of letting it focus in the corner where the vent is.

According to my IR thermometer, there weren't really any hotspots.

Ahh Thanks for this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

GigaFool posted:

Here's my first hot-smoked salmon. Slowly brought it up to 140 over the course of 4 hours.

The other piece is currently cold-smoking in the same smoker along with 2 trays of ice-water and a block of cheddar. The belly in the smoker is regular bacon.

drat. That looks amazing. I'd love to smoke some ribs/brisket/etc, but I really want to get one for salmon.