Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
big green eggs are nice. I made some of the best barbeque chicken legs of my life last year, on a friend's egg. I'd like to attribute their success wholly to my brine and rub, but they really were juicier and more evenly cooked than I normally get with my brinkmann electric smoker. (condos :shakesfist: )

anyways, I'd submit that you actually do need to use soaked smoking wood in whatever heating contraption you have in order for the food to qualify as 'smoked' or 'barbeque'. the smoke should be slow, steady, and be 'drawn through' the meat (IE, fresh air needs to be entering somewhere, with smoke exiting the other end) otherwise you're just baking, in my opinion. but, the big green egg is definitely capable of smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CapnBry posted:

Isn't that a digiq though in your second photo? Cheater!

To emphasize what you said about the temperature getting stuck around 155-160F, here's a graph from my grill controller showing the plateau around 170F:

I love my big green egg too, I use about 4lbs of charcoal to cook 15lbs of boston butt which takes about 14-18h on the smoker. I don't soak my wood when cooking with wood chunks because all it does it make the surface wet, but if I use chips (for fast cooking things) I definitely soak them.

We used to have a smoking thread. I'm not sure if there is a new one though.

hey tell us more about your comptroller project. I trolled your website for a while and dug up some of your source files and project log, but I need more detail! does it work? is it finished? is it ethernet enabled?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright y'all, I need some seriously spot on and sage advice.

I'm going to smoke a duck this week, and I've never done that before. I need it to turn out perfectly the first time - and by perfect I mean crisp skin, perfectly seasoned meat, and falling off the bone-yet-moist end results.

I always brine meats I smoke, so my plan is to brine the duck with a sort of like, brown sugar / tea / 5 spice mixture, with lots of pepper, prick the poo poo out of the skin, and then smoke at around 200-200 for about 4-6 hours. then maybe I'll take a blowtorch to it to try and crisp the skin?

is there anything special I should be thinking about when cooking duck? I saw a few failures in this thread, so just looking for any experience from anyone who has done this before...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, well I guess I don't have to brine it - I could just salt rub it or something for a day - or I could do the 24 hour dry thing. I think either would work fine.

and so I'll take ya'lls cue and probably just use a hot oven to crisp at the end, maybe like 450 or something.

are my times about right though? 4-6 hours on the smoker?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Canuckistan posted:

Why are you slow cooking it at all? Again, perhaps duck is different but I don't think poultry benefits from low and slow at all. When I smoke turkeys I usually do a high heat smoke at around 325-350 with an empty water pan.

yeah, duck is different. I'm assuming you've never cooked duck?

literally every part of it is tough as poo poo unless you slow roast (or smoke, hopefully) it. the breast you have to cook like a steak - if you roast it, it's just unpalatably dry and dense. same with the legs, until they become falling off the bone and delicious.

anyways, as to why I'm smoking it rather than slow roasting it - I don't know, to learn? I've never done it before, which is usually more than enough reason for me to justify attempting something cooking-wise.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I smoke using an electric, but throw wood chips directly on the heating elements. I get bark and smoke rings. fwiw.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sorry, I feel like an idiot - what is a WSM?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

niss posted:

Cooked what I think may have been my best smoked chicken to date over the weekend. Had a big family gathering on Saturday. Ended up smoking 24 leg quarters on my Large BGE. Well not quite 24, managed to fit 19 in there, had to do a few on my weber kettle. If I had a third grate I could have easily done all 24 at once.

Had to be careful removing the chicken as it just wanted to fall apart on me. I let it rest for a bit, then wrapped it up in tinfoil and put them in a cooler for transport. It was a few hours later than we ended up eating, and they were still nice and hot when I went to serve them.

No one could believe how juicy the chicken was, kept getting compliment after compliment on it. I was happy everyone enjoyed it so much.

I cooked my best smoked chicken on a BGE too, and it was only my second time using one. I brined a bunch of legs overnight with tons of spices, then dry rubbed and took them to the place I was cooking. fired up the BGE in smoker mode 200-230, threw about 15 legs on there, let it go for about 2-3 hours. they were so goddamn juicy and perfectly seasoned with crispy skin. I obsessed about the prep a bit since it was like a Major Family Function for my girl's relatives, but in the end I got so many compliments it was nuts. and usually I'm pretty critical of chicken cooking, but these legs were honestly the best I've ever done.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I just got a leg of lamb on sale and I am considering doing two things:

1. Cutting up the leg to grill shashlik (basically shishkabobs) or
2. Not cutting the leg up, but marinating overnight in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and then slow cooking it.

Anyone have experience with lamb and have any good ideas for me?

slow cook it! add lots of garlic, herbs, and salt to your marinade overnight. Then throw it in a dutch oven/pot with a little bit of wine and stock, and cook it in your oven at 325 for several hours. you can crank the heat/broil at the end if you want for some browning. awesome with pasta.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
take it from me, smoking chicken 180-200 isn't the best idea. I've had much better results either smoking at a very high temperature (260-300) with indirect heat, or just plain grilling. I think it's just one of those things that benefits from higher heat. your skin concerns are correct. brining and air drying overnight uncovered in the fridge is also essential.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PhotoKirk posted:

Here's me and the boss cooking some 3-hour ribs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT64w-cdu-c

BBQ Sundays are the best Sundays.

lol that's awesome.

I opened this video a couple hours ago, and forgot why I opened it. Just watched it through and was like 'holy moly these guys are so cute and hilarious'.

good job goon, has the appropriate amount of cowbell.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've smoked a lot of pork butt in my time, but I'm really undecided as to the best method to get the most flavorful end result. My intuition says my best results have been with an overnight brine, letting the pork come up to room temperatureish before putting on the smoker, judicious use of rub, and smoking around 210 with smoke only for the first couple hours. But I also remember pretty good results where I made deep gashes in the meat almost to the bone and rubbed some extra rub in there? And I've had ok results doing a texas crutch before too? and then the whole mop vs non-mop?

dunno, what's the ticket for you guys?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Thrasher posted:

So.. Lets try Montreal Smoked Meat..

Full packer brisket.. lets age it open in the fridge for.. a week?

Need sodium nitrate for this rub

Ready for the fridge

After 14 days curing... Rinse, rub again, and put on the egg.

Done the smoking..

Steam a good chunk for 3 hours..

Slice it up..

Build our Reuben..

This looks really really good - but I thought you were supposed to boil/steam the beef before smoking it? have I been doing this backwards? I guess either way it would taste really good...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
after lots of thinking and experience, I've decided poultry is just plain better with a hotter smoke/grill. low temperatures (180-230) end up with flabby skin and a ho-hum product. I think 280-350 is much much better - just comes out much juicer and with crispy bits. dunno about turkey though, haven't done it enough times to form any opinions. smoke restraint is definitely universally needed though. first 15-30 minutes only, at most.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

Brisket's less of a financial risk than people give it credit for, as long as you own an oven. The main thing is to avoid acrid black smoke from a mis-oxygenated fire, because that will seriously ruin it, but even if you totally gently caress up your fire control and run way hot for a few hours you can always abandon ship and finish it in the oven.

It's honestly hard to actually ruin a piece of meat in a slow-cooking capacity unless you double down on failure when you should cut and run. :)

I dunno, I disagree with this. I have been smoking for about 13 years now, and I still learn every time I smoke. I'll do chicken or pork or something at least twice a month, and in the early years I would end up with acrid disgusting mouthnumbing improperly smoked poo poo more often than not.

I now know all the mechanics of smoking well enough that I regularly make mean rear end ribs and pulled pork and poo poo, but I have smoked a brisket fewer than 5 times in my life still. it's just too expensive and too much of a sensitive thing for me (personally) to feel comfortable going for anything less than gold on.

If you're just starting out smoking, I'd say perfect chicken first - it's by far the cheapest, and 2nd least forgiving, topped only by brisket. You can also taste the subtle differences in expertly smoked chicken vs shittily smoked chicken much more easily than say pork butt or whatever - it's great for developing good technique.

Once you feel like you fully understand temperature/humidity/smoke/oxygen/salt/sugar/etc considerations with chicken, I'd say you have a decent shot at a brisket. but if you're just like 'yeah I wanna smoke something, gonna try brisket!!!' you'll end up with a mess, unless you don't care much about quality, or end up extremely lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

moctopus posted:

I'm yet to mess up a brisket and I'm surprised people have a difficult time. I wonder what could be happening?

I have cooked them any where from 225 to 325 in my 14.5" WSM.

Never had any turn out tough or dry.

oh I don't have a *difficult* time

all my briskets have been meat, that has been smoked, which is edible and relatively tasty.

I just don't think that's an acceptable quality level to aim for, with handling a $40-$75 cut of beef that should be nothing less than the most perfectly seasoned, juiciest, most magical thing you've dug into in recent memory.

I guess I blame my texas blood, but I'm just not willing to gently caress around with brisket. and I've never made a brisket that lives up to my own standards.