Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:ohdear: Please hold me, I'm going to try and smoke a pork butt this weekend. Gonna take some pictures as I work. This thread has been a wealth of information, can't wait to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

nominal posted:

I will say this: I had not anticipated that walking out of a butcher shop carrying a huge gently caress-off nine-pound block of pig flesh would make me feel totally loving badass.
Hahahha nice.

I've got the meat on my grill and I think the first batch of wood chips are just about done. Have another soaking right now to add to the pile. The internal temp of the meat is rising steadily and my external temperature gauge makes me very happy with how well this grill maintains heat. I've thrown some tinfoil on the back to block a bit of the perpetual wind but really it's just part of my environment. It's only hour two of this process so I imagine things will get interesting here a while down the road.

Oh, and I'm not using a traditional smoker because I don't have one. Instead, I have this huge new gas grill my parents got me as a housewarming gift and I want to know if it will work to smoke meats. Today is that adventure.

We're over 90 degrees internal and still keeping around 230 - 250 or less on the big temp gauge up top. :dance:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Oh lordy

Oh sweet jesus

can't move, full of delicious pork

At the seven hour mark, just hit 150 or so

Hahah, the bone just pulled right out. Total time was ten hours - 7 in the smoker/grill and the last 3 in an oven wrapped in foil. Final temp was 190.

A bunch of it shredded on a platter, seconds before it evaporated before my very eyes! It was magic!

Not too shabby for a first attempt. Next time I'll pay more attention to the chips so that it keeps more smoke in the cooker. Also, I may try and cover up a few more holes so it stays smokier inside. Also, I think I can bring the heat up a bit internally and not hurt anything. In the end, not bad at all for a first attempt.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Don't cover up too many holes. If you don't have good airflow you can end up with creosote building up on your meat. That shits nasty yo.

Ewww that would be nasty. Thanks for the warning. I think I need to get a bigger bag of chips before I start and change them out once an hour or every couple hours. I wasn't too fussed about it this time around and there were plenty of times on the grill where not much smoke was being produced.

I'm really happy with how well it held its temperature over time according to the external gauge. I love the cool data collection rigs I'm seeing in this thread but for now I'll stick to dumb old probe thermometers and such... For now.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Unnghhhh lookit all that meat.

:( The weekend looks so far away and it's not even lunch time where I can share my smoked pork. I'm going to go bankrupt smoking meats on that drat grill.