Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mixed up a spicy dust and put them on the Akorn. Skin could have been crispier but flavor and doneness were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I eat ribeyes cause I'm all about that deckle

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mega dy posted:

I was cooking a really primo butt once and due to a pellet grill mishap my entire grill caught on fire and spiked up to like 500+ without me noticing for like 30 minutes, I had to come down and put it out with flour, clean it out, and restart it, and it was probably the best one I've ever made (the pig was hand-raised by a friend and was just pure marbled dark meat).

You did what now

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use baking soda if you need a powder to put out a fire. But never flour.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would leave the skin on and just season under it prior to smoking.

And when you remove the skin after smoking, at least post it for free on Craigslist or something so it doesn’t go to waste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I pull it off with my teeth while I glare menacingly at my dog. Gets the silver skin off and reinforces the hierarchy. Win win.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

I just did a 6.5 shoulder and didn’t wrap but I did spritz a couple times. Took about 9 hours at 275, wasn’t dry at all and had great bark. My feeling is if time isn’t an issue why wrap at all. I did wrap in butcher paper and put it in a cooler for about an hour after it was fully cooked though.

This was on a Traeger and I used a smoke tube.

225 is more standard for pork butt. The higher heat probably let you power past the stall.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I doubt I could tell the difference between pork butt cooked at 225 and 275.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put a butt on this morning and I’m so I pleased with myself, I haven’t lifted the lid once. So should I check it at 195 or so or wait til 203? Normally at this point I’ve been futzing with it a lot so I can easier judge when to pull it. But not this time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob A Feet posted:

I always let it go past 200. Never had one that “felt” ready at 195. Just let her go bud.

Roger that. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god these last few degrees are taking forever

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here’s my butt from last night. 7.4lbs, 10 hours, kept it about 250, with a couple trips as high as 275. No crutch, didn’t even lift the lid once I put it on. Pulled at 201 and it was probably the best butt I’ve ever smoked. Meat was super moist and shreddable without being mushy, and the bark was on point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 19, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Random Hero posted:

Looks amazing. I have never scored the cap on mine... Did you do that to help the rub penetrate?

I do it because it in my mind it should help the fat render. But honestly I'm not sure how much that helps, and I just really like the way it looks and cooks up that way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think also it’s because my parents’ generation. Sucked at cooking pork and the chops were all thin and cooked to a leathery consistency. Now that people aren’t afraid to cook it to reasonable temp, tasty pork chops are within our grasp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m was gifted a MEATER +. Can this take the place of my SMOKE? It registers both meat temp and ambient temp so it seems comparable, but it’s just so small and simple.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Smoke and was gifted a MEATER +. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot. It seems to connect to Wi-Fi so it should be better than my non Wi-Fi Smoke. The whole set up is certainly a lot simpler with just one probe that does both temps and no base station or receiver or anything to deal with. I guess when I use it I’ll figure out if I’m giving anything up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Kind of bummed.

Me and friends are staying at my buddy’s ski house, and he has a high end Traeger he’s literally never used. He said we can break it in these weekend and I offered to bring up a pork blunt and a few racks of ribs. He said not to both let and he’s got plenty of meat to smoke at the house.

Two of my favorite things!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mortar and pestle for small amounts, Cuisinart spice grinder for larger amounts. It will turn rubs into a nice dust.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG-10-Electric-Spice-and-Nut-Grinder/dp/B001C2GWTI

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always allow more time than you think it’s gonna take. If by some miracle it’s ready early, just wrap and cooler it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tmfc posted:

drat dude, that looks friggin delicious! powerful technique, takes the term 'total smokeshow' to a whole new level haha! digging the super thick rashers, they thicc bois lol. you said you removed all the bones but unfortunately after seeing this sexy rear end bacon i can't remove mine if you know what i mean! :D (i want to gently caress that bacon soo bad haha!)

Maybe in the future we try not to appreciate foods quite this much thanks